PDA

View Full Version : How to Acquire Rake(Ex)

nalgarryn
2019-08-11, 04:01 AM
Any suggestions on how to acquire this ability?

pabelfly
2019-08-11, 04:20 AM
Any suggestions on how to acquire this ability?

Polymorph would be the easiest way. You could turn into a Lion with Rake, for example.

Uncle Pine
2019-08-11, 04:48 AM
One of the stage 3 drifts of the Geomancer PrC (Complete Divine) gives you two rake attacks.
Aspect of the Werebeast (tiger; Races of Eberron) provides rake for the duration of the spell.
The Polymorph line gives you rake if your final form has it.
Legendary Captain 6 (Stormwrack) gives you Rake (Ex), but probably not the kind you're looking for.

nalgarryn
2019-08-11, 04:25 PM
Aspect of the Werebeast (tiger; Races of Eberron) provides rake for the duration of the spell.

Tiger: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity. In addition, you gain the pounce special attack, allowing you to follow a charge with a full attack (including rake attacks).

Looks good, except when I read it, I read it as saying that you get Pounce(Ex) from the spell, and as a corollary, the opportunity to use a Full Attack at the end of a charge, including Rake(Ex) (if you have it already).

What would be ideal is some rulebook that says that any creature with natural weapons/claws which deal slashing damage automatically qualify for Rake(Ex) attacks... which is almost implied by the above.

Thurbane
2019-08-11, 05:19 PM
Be a lycanthrope (were-serval)? Stats for the serval can be found in Sandstorm.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-11, 06:06 PM
Can't an urban druid turn into a rake?

Uncle Pine
2019-08-12, 03:24 AM
Tiger: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity. In addition, you gain the pounce special attack, allowing you to follow a charge with a full attack (including rake attacks).

Looks good, except when I read it, I read it as saying that you get Pounce(Ex) from the spell, and as a corollary, the opportunity to use a Full Attack at the end of a charge, including Rake(Ex) (if you have it already).

What would be ideal is some rulebook that says that any creature with natural weapons/claws which deal slashing damage automatically qualify for Rake(Ex) attacks... which is almost implied by the above.
From a RAI point of view, the author most likely intended for the recipient of the spell to acquire the following:

Pounce (Ex)
If a tiger charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.
This would include the ability to attack twice with your claws (which is what rake attacks are). It might be worth considering that A) the wording on aspect of the werebear is explicitly conditional ("if you have a natural claw attack") while the weretiger's isn't (i.e. "if you have the rake special ability") and B) aspect of the weretiger doesn't provide natural claw attacks on its own. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that by RAW you aren't granted rake attacks by the spell itself.

Are you trying to accomplish something specific by acquiring rake? Unless it's to satisfy a prerequisite, there are probably easier ways to strap some extra damage on your claw attacks and grapple checks (i.e. Beast Strike).

Can't an urban druid turn into a rake?
I love this, even though it's technically Rake (Su).