PDA

View Full Version : Checking my understanding of multiclass

KyleG
2019-08-11, 05:10 AM
I read some advice today which I'm taking to heart. Play the character you want today not that which you might not even see in the future.
Ive become too hung up on tomorrows character and not who he is today.
Today he is a 4th level hexblade and he wants more spell slots. So a reflavoured bard (flavouring still to be determined) level is up next, 2 more possibly at some point in the future which may never arrive.
So just making sure I understand this correctly...
1. I could cast hex thru the bard spell slot L1?
2. I could cast dissonent whispers thru my warlock L3?

Any suggestions for refluffing the bard levels as warlock levels? Or specifically their abilities such as bardic inspiration, song of rest.

Eldoxar
2019-08-11, 05:20 AM
Yes for both [PHB p. 164 Spellcasting, Pact Magic]

Bard levels are Bard levels. You are becoming a Bard. Fluff should be around it, and my view is that it should not be directly conected to your Warlock levels.

KyleG
2019-08-11, 05:53 AM
Im more of the opinion that classes are just a grouping of skills. Even more so when multiclassing.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-11, 06:12 AM
Yes for both [PHB p. 164 Spellcasting, Pact Magic]

Bard levels are Bard levels. You are becoming a Bard. Fluff should be around it, and my view is that it should not be directly conected to your Warlock levels.

Bard levels can be warlock level by fluff. He only use the bard mechanic.

You may say that your patron gave you the knowledge of manipulation/info gathering.

Tanarii
2019-08-11, 08:36 AM
I read some advice today which I'm taking to heart. Play the character you want today not that which you might not even see in the future. When it comes to multiclassing, that's a way to end up with a character with serious regrets. If you don't think about the fact that you'll always be 1-2 levels behind because of your dip, you can easily be constantly regretting you've got to wait 2 more levels for the higher level power you could have had right now, because you went for more lower-level/powered flexibility.

For example, 2-3 level 1 slots per day means giving up +1 slot level power to your 6+ slots per day a warlock gets. At Tier 1 that doesn't seem like a big deal because levels come so quick. But around level 7 when they start coming much slower ...

Bobthewizard
2019-08-11, 09:24 AM
In your case, Hexblade and Bard work well together. I think it is better as primarily bard but you've already gone further in Hexblade than I would for that build. For a bard dip on a Hexblade, I'd wait until after 5 to get Thirsting blade and 3rd level slots. Then likely a 3 level dip in bard to get expertise, a college (recommend swords) and 1st and 2nd level slots for shield, etc. Then back to Hexblade for the rest.

KyleG
2019-08-11, 11:48 AM
I forgot I get 3rds next. Hmmm well guess ill continue to wait.
Also yeah the plan was always 3 into bard at somepoint for swords for 2nd level slots and fighting style.