PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Skill Tricks [WIP-Advice Wanted]

JNAProductions
2019-08-11, 04:45 PM
When your score from proficiency bonus hits a certain threshold in a given skill, you unlock a new Skill Trick. No action is required to learn them-you automatically gain it as soon as you achieve a high enough proficiency bonus. Note that Expertise does indeed work for this.

+4
You may treat yourself as one size larger for the purposes of grappling.

+6
Your Shove moves people up to 10', instead of only 5'.

+8
Your unarmed strikes deal an additional 1d4 damage.

+10
You may treat yourself as two sizes larger for the purposes of grappling.

+12
Your shove moves people up to 20', instead of 10'.

+4
You can treat yourself as one size smaller when it'd be beneficial to yourself.

+6
Your move speed increases by 5'.

+8
You have resistance to falling damage.

+10
Your move speed increases by 10'.

+12
You are immune to falling damage.

+4
You can take two object interactions per turn, instead of one.

+6 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4
You can attempt to hide without any cover or concealment-however, doing so imposes Disadvantage on your check.

+6
If you miss with an attack, your position is not automatically revealed.

+8
You no longer have disadvantage on checks made to hide in plain sight.

+10
If you succeed with an attack from hiding, your position is not revealed provided you beat your foe's Perception score by at least 10.

+12
To Be Determined

+4
You gain one cantrip from any arcane/Druid or Ranger/divine spell list, using Intelligence/Wisdom/Wisdom as your spellcasting modifier.

+6
You gain the ability to cast one 1st-level ritual of your choice from the appropriate spell list.

+8
You gain a second cantrip from the appropriate spell list.

+10
You gain a 1st or 2nd level ritual from the appropriate spell list.

+12
You gain a single 1st level spell from the appropriate list and an additional 1st level spell slot.

+4 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4
You can quickly memorize written information, at the rate of one page per minute spent concentrating on it.

+6
Your Passive Perception increases by 3.

+8
You can memorize written information even faster, at the rate of one page per action.

+10
Your Passive Insight increases by 3.

+12
You never forget anything.

+4
You can, as an action, have a friendly animal within 30' spend a hit die to gain +5' to their move speed for one minute, advantage on their next attack, or gain THP equal to the amount rolled on their hit die which lasts for one minute.

+6
You can Help a friendly animal as a bonus action.

+8
Your hit die bonuses increase to +10' move speed, advantage on all attacks made in the next round, or THP equal to double the result of their hit die roll.

+10
Friendly animals can Help you as a bonus action.

+12
You can spend an action to buff up to four animals, instead of just one.

+4 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4
When rolling to stabilize someone, if you exceed 20, they regain one HP.

+6 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4
To Be Determined

+6
You can make a Deception check with disadvantage against the spell save DC of a spell that forces truthfulness. If you meet or exceed the DC, you may give a false positive.

+8
To Be Determined

+10
You no longer make your Deception check with disadvantage for fooling spells.

+12
To Be Determined

+4 and Higher
To Be Determined

+4 and Higher
To Be Determined

So, the basic idea is in place. Just not sure what to do with a bunch of the skills.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-12, 08:59 AM
This sort of thing has been one of my back-burner projects for a long time, so it's great to see someone else working on something similar. My plan has always been to steal from Exalted-- that's the only other system I can think of that has rules for doing badass things with skills like Investigation. Maybe you could get some inspiration that way too?

JNAProductions
2019-08-12, 09:20 AM
This sort of thing has been one of my back-burner projects for a long time, so it's great to see someone else working on something similar. My plan has always been to steal from Exalted-- that's the only other system I can think of that has rules for doing badass things with skills like Investigation. Maybe you could get some inspiration that way too?

If I had Exalted, I could. :P

Any ideas for filling in the TBD tricks?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-12, 09:34 AM
If I had Exalted, I could. :P

Any ideas for filling in the TBD tricks?
These prereq charts offer a pretty decent overview:
https://www.reddit.com/r/exalted/comments/3pwiez/exalted_3e_charm_cascades/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Animal Handling could let you buff friendly animals (temp HP, move speed, etc), maybe.
I can see Medicine letting you spend healing kit charges to restore hit points, like a lesser version of Healer.
Intimidation could get an in-combat use to impose debuffs, last longer, ignore situational penalties, etc? Same with Persuasion, I guess.

As a more general note, I'd base the benchmarks on level, and let Expertise just grant a bonus to that. As is, these are pretty much off limits for the whole game if you don't have it. (Also, letting Arcana et al grant bonus slots is waaaay stronger than other skills-- I'd do rituals instead)

JNAProductions
2019-08-12, 09:43 AM
These prereq charts offer a pretty decent overview:
https://www.reddit.com/r/exalted/comments/3pwiez/exalted_3e_charm_cascades/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Animal Handling could let you buff friendly animals (temp HP, move speed, etc), maybe.
I can see Medicine letting you spend healing kit charges to restore hit points, like a lesser version of Healer.
Intimidation could get an in-combat use to impose debuffs, last longer, ignore situational penalties, etc? Same with Persuasion, I guess.

As a more general note, I'd base the benchmarks on level, and let Expertise just grant a bonus to that. As is, these are pretty much off limits for the whole game if you don't have it. (Also, letting Arcana et al grant bonus slots is waaaay stronger than other skills-- I'd do rituals instead)

Probably a good idea on Arcana, and the others to boot.

And considering anyone can nab Expertise via Prodigy (assuming your DM doesn't race-lock that feat. Really, I don't get why it's human or half only), I'm okay with how I set it up.