PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warfored Padlock

Teaguethebean
2019-08-11, 06:10 PM
Hello friends I have been playing in a game based heavily in PvP we do enter dungeons to get gold and items but that isn't the focus. We mainly have 1v1s, 1v1v1s, 1v1v1v1s, or 2v2s After rolling stats and noticing a heavy focus on martial characters (my two main rivals being a PAM sentinel tunnel fighter and a GWM barbarian) I decided to strive for the best AC I could. We are able to buy magic items when we get enough gold we are buying them off of this list (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XAiXpOfz9cMWt1RTBicmpmUDg/view).
Basically I am asking how to get my AC to a point of being near unkillable.
My Character is as follows
Warforged Envoy, Hexblade 1/Vengence paladin 4, Str 13, Dex 12, Con 19 (through amulet of health my con is normally 17), Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 20
I am yet to take any feats (used my first asi to max Cha) and my items of note are as follows, 2188 gp +1 scimitar, +1 shield, Amulet of health, cloak of protection, and goggles of night (though they rarely come into play). My spells are Booming blade, Eldritch blast, Shield Wrathful smite, Shield of faith, Cure wounds, Protection from Evil and Good (more for the dungeons I have never been hit by any undead yet), Bless, Heroism, Bane, Hunter's mark. With 19 Base, Defense, Cloak, and a +1 shield, my default ac is 24 and with SoF it jumps to 26.
I am wondering what I should do after paladin 6 I may just go to 9 for haste, or should I dip swords bard, or mabye go sorcerer after this I would love to hear your answers.

Dualswinger
2019-08-12, 02:30 AM
Ask your Dm whether Integrated Protection actually counts as wearing armour, since there’s some debate over this.

If no, bracers of defence for a tasty +2 would help. There’s also a 3 level dip into Kensei that will give you an ongoing +2 ac every time you take the attack action (drops your damage output but that’s not your goal, use you haste action for the unarmed attack and your main action for eblast or traditional stabbing)

If IP does count as armour a dip into forge cleric gives you +1, and can give you another +1 if you can convince someone to marry you before the big fight ;).

After that you can either take forte cleric to 6, which gives you both spirit guardians (unavoidable aoe damage and you can outlast your foes), and another ac point, or perhaps the kensei dip. Maybe even war wizard 3 for the reaction ac buff (yeah shield is better, but limited uses) and access to mirror image. Try to pick up the lucky feat as well.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-12, 02:56 AM
Ask your Dm whether Integrated Protection actually counts as wearing armour, since there’s some debate over this.

If no, bracers of defence for a tasty +2 would help. There’s also a 3 level dip into Kensei that will give you an ongoing +2 ac every time you take the attack action (drops your damage output but that’s not your goal, use you haste action for the unarmed attack and your main action for eblast or traditional stabbing)

If IP does count as armour a dip into forge cleric gives you +1, and can give you another +1 if you can convince someone to marry you before the big fight ;).

After that you can either take forte cleric to 6, which gives you both spirit guardians (unavoidable aoe damage and you can outlast your foes), and another ac point, or perhaps the kensei dip. Maybe even war wizard 3 for the reaction ac buff (yeah shield is better, but limited uses) and access to mirror image. Try to pick up the lucky feat as well.

There's no debate, it's clearly listed as counting as Armor for the purposes of rules and whilst it counts for Armor rules wise it isn't a mundane set of Armor (a discrete object) for the Forge Cleric's ability (the latter isn't absolute but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a twee about it.

Dualswinger
2019-08-12, 03:07 AM
Integrated Protection. Your body has built-
in defensive layers, which determine your Armor class. You gain no benefit from wearing Armor, but can use a shield as normal.

After long rest you can change which mode- blah blah blah.

At no point does the phrase “you count as wearing armour” actually appear in the rules text.

Now I actually agree with you, I think the rai is pretty clear, I’m just saying that there are those out there who have other ideas.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-12, 03:11 AM
Hello friends I have been playing in a game based heavily in PvP we do enter dungeons to get gold and items but that isn't the focus. We mainly have 1v1s, 1v1v1s, 1v1v1v1s, or 2v2s After rolling stats and noticing a heavy focus on martial characters (my two main rivals being a PAM sentinel tunnel fighter and a GWM barbarian) I decided to strive for the best AC I could. We are able to buy magic items when we get enough gold we are buying them off of this list (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XAiXpOfz9cMWt1RTBicmpmUDg/view).
Basically I am asking how to get my AC to a point of being near unkillable.
My Character is as follows
Warforged Envoy, Hexblade 1/Vengence paladin 4, Str 13, Dex 12, Con 19 (through amulet of health my con is normally 17), Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 20
I am yet to take any feats (used my first asi to max Cha) and my items of note are as follows, 2188 gp +1 scimitar, +1 shield, Amulet of health, cloak of protection, and goggles of night (though they rarely come into play). My spells are Booming blade, Eldritch blast, Shield Wrathful smite, Shield of faith, Cure wounds, Protection from Evil and Good (more for the dungeons I have never been hit by any undead yet), Bless, Heroism, Bane, Hunter's mark. With 19 Base, Defense, Cloak, and a +1 shield, my default ac is 24 and with SoF it jumps to 26.
I am wondering what I should do after paladin 6 I may just go to 9 for haste, or should I dip swords bard, or mabye go sorcerer after this I would love to hear your answers.

If you're just looking to crank AC then your easiest route is to buy a Headband of intellect and dip Bladesinger, switch out the +1 shield for dual wielder feat and then you have a way to crank you AC to +5. Sword Bards defensive Flourish is also a great feature, but without progressing levels in bard you'll be stuck with a d6, still a good boost though.

Just so you know Warforged shouldn't benefit from Defense fighting style (covered in sage advice by one of the writers). You may want to take the mobile feat and take the hit and run approach, the movement damage from Booming Blade will make the other opponents want to focus on each other not you.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-12, 03:13 AM
Integrated Protection. Your body has built-
in defensive layers, which determine your Armor class. You gain no benefit from wearing Armor, but can use a shield as normal.

After long rest you can change which mode- blah blah blah.

At no point does the phrase “you count as wearing armour” actually appear in the rules text.

Now I actually agree with you, I think the rai is pretty clear, I’m just saying that there are those out there who have other ideas.

It says in parenthesis whether you count as unarmored or armored for the purposes of the mode, for everything besides Darkwood Core they're marked as (Armor).

stoutstien
2019-08-12, 09:51 AM
All of the eberrion content will(hopefully) get cleaned up before the official release. Shifters are in a similar boat as far as Rai vs raw.

Back on the topic on hand if you are going to square off against players using Pam/gwm they have a huge glaring issue. Range. I wouldn't focus too much on maximizing AC when simply keeping out of reach will to the job. Stay mobile and take advantage of repelling/Lance Eldritch blast.

*side note: d&d is a horrible platform for those who want PVP. PC damage output is massively over proportion compared to the defensive capabilities.

Quoz
2019-08-12, 10:14 AM
Beyond a certain point, boosting AC further will grant diminishing returns. I would try to find ways to constantly give attackers disadvantage and to boost your non-AC defenses.

As a paladin you will already get some of the best possible saves. Stacking on a luck stone, mantle of spell resistance, or other save boosters will serve you very well. Resilient (con) will prevent a lot of nasty effects, but shield master may be even better. Pseudo-evasion will save you from a lot of save for half effects.

If you get any Intel before entering fights, and if you can coordinate with other party members, having a few rings of spell storing in the party will be amazing long term. Being able to have haste or counterspell could be a game changer, as could sharing find steed or giving a caster an upcast armor of Agathys

Teaguethebean
2019-08-12, 11:42 AM
Beyond a certain point, boosting AC further will grant diminishing returns. I would try to find ways to constantly give attackers disadvantage and to boost your non-AC defenses.

As a paladin you will already get some of the best possible saves. Stacking on a luck stone, mantle of spell resistance, or other save boosters will serve you very well. Resilient (con) will prevent a lot of nasty effects, but shield master may be even better. Pseudo-evasion will save you from a lot of save for half effects.

If you get any Intel before entering fights, and if you can coordinate with other party members, having a few rings of spell storing in the party will be amazing long term. Being able to have haste or counterspell could be a game changer, as could sharing find steed or giving a caster an upcast armor of Agathys

Yeah I intend to get a cloak of displacement but the list of magic items has one costing me 60,000 gold more than the defender!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-13, 07:42 AM
Yeah I intend to get a cloak of displacement but the list of magic items has one costing me 60,000 gold more than the defender!

Save everything for it.
I will take a ring of protection instead of the cloak so you won't need to switch cloaks.

Look for a way to take blur and absorb elements.
I recommend Divine Soul Sorcerer after you get the level 6 aura(level 7 vengeance look not so good).

I recommend not to stop Sorcerer before level 7/9 depends of your DM(at 7 you will have level 5 slot by the multiclass table and 7 Sorcerery points to make 7 5 level slots).

Warforged gat no exhaustion from not resting so pump level 5 and 1 sluts.

You will have stuff to protect yourself for days.

Teaguethebean
2019-08-13, 03:51 PM
Save everything for it.
I will take a ring of protection instead of the cloak so you won't need to switch cloaks.

Look for a way to take blur and absorb elements.
I recommend Divine Soul Sorcerer after you get the level 6 aura(level 7 vengeance look not so good).

I recommend not to stop Sorcerer before level 7/9 depends of your DM(at 7 you will have level 5 slot by the multiclass table and 7 Sorcerery points to make 7 level slots).

Warforged gat no exhaustion from not resting so pump level 5 and 1 sluts.

You will have stuff to protect yourself for days.

This is some good advice there is another player with a ring of protection and I bet they would trade with me for me giving them an extra hundred gold or so. Also coffeelock isn't a possibility as we have no prep time before fights so it just wont work out.
Additionally I think I will take your advice and go Divine soul (do you think it would be worth it when I have a cloak of Displacement to use Spirit guardians or should I stick with haste.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-13, 04:16 PM
This is some good advice there is another player with a ring of protection and I bet they would trade with me for me giving them an extra hundred gold or so. Also coffeelock isn't a possibility as we have no prep time before fights so it just wont work out.
Additionally I think I will take your advice and go Divine soul (do you think it would be worth it when I have a cloak of Displacement to use Spirit guardians or should I stick with haste.

I will say Spirit Guardians.
Especially if you use it with find steed to cast it on both of you(ask the DM, some say it is possible and some say it isn't. You can find the arguments all over the form) and sand it to damage enemies is other area.

On 1v1 Haste will be better for crit fishing(like boss fight after the mooks are dead).
With careful spell you can even use stuff like sickening readians if you want.

You don't need prep time as a coffeelock when you are a warforged.
You just need your party to take long rests and take 8 sort rests in this time.
That is why warforged is the only way to go full coffee.

But, you know. Check with your friends if they are ok with it.

Teaguethebean
2019-08-14, 01:13 AM
On 1v1 Haste will be better for crit fishing(like boss fight after the mooks are dead).
With careful spell you can even use stuff like sickening readians if you want.

You don't need prep time as a coffeelock when you are a warforged.
You just need your party to take long rests and take 8 sort rests in this time.
That is why warforged is the only way to go full coffee.

But, you know. Check with your friends if they are ok with it.

I don't think I made this clear I suppose, most of the play is focused on one and done fights usually 1v1's or free for alls.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-14, 01:51 AM
I don't think I made this clear I suppose, most of the play is focused on one and done fights usually 1v1's or free for alls.

If you will go full nova then Haste is better in my opinion.
If you go VS multiple opponent then Spirit Guardians or Sickening Rediants(with subtle spells as it is save for nothing and fail for a lot) will work better.

Every fight requires a different strategy (especially in a war game if you play one. I play a war game and 2 non war game, the difference is immense).

Go heast in a 1v1, Spirit Guardians in more then 1 enemy and make sure you have something to smoke out a range opponents.