PDA

View Full Version : Proving a gods innocence

Okamigekido
2019-08-11, 07:00 PM
The Paladin of my group seriously wants to worship both Tyr, and Helm. (Tyr killed Helm over a misunderstanding). And, he want's Helm to be a lesser Deity so he can have more connection to him-but from what I read, again, Helm is dead. And his "essence" was taken by Tyr.
Is there a way I can run a series of sessions in the future, where the PC's try to prove Helm's innocence to Tyr-and to somehow return him to life. I feel like something like this, is way out of my hands-but I also want to please the player. I just see it being even harder to do, when Helm was supposedly killed so long ago.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense!

Kane0
2019-08-11, 07:10 PM
Well Zone of Truth, Divination, Commune and Contact other Plane exist, as well as Conjure Celestial and Planeshift. Getting the facts straight shouldn't be too difficult once you get to a certain level unless there's deity-level interference involved. Which itself could be a fun plot arc, getting the deities to stop pointing the finger at each other for a few minutes and sort things out.

Aett_Thorn
2019-08-11, 07:24 PM
Isn’t Helm alive and well in 5e? I don’t know exactly what happened after Tyr killed him, but in most of the 5e sourcebooks he’s available for worship.

No brains
2019-08-11, 07:26 PM
It's an interesting idea you have there.

Kane0 already posted some tools you can use to attempt this. To suggest one more, consider finding a Cleric of Tyr or Helm with Divine intervention (10th level or higher). Even a 10% chance to have Tyr listen directly to someone might be a good tool to use.

As for gods being dead, you really don't need to worry about that. Gods are weird and they can come back to life, especially if another god sponsors them. Because Helm 'died' as 'Helm', Helm still exists. The party just needs to give that existence power again. If Helm were transformed, that would be trouble, but a god who dies by their beliefs is still 'alive' in a sense. Besides, where are they gonna go when they die, Detroit?

Of course, this is still tipping the cosmic scales. Even if it is for a good cause, there should totally be some great and terrible price to pay. Let's see... Maybe Tyr has to surrender enough power that it and Helm become both lesser deities and some evil god uses that opening to make a move. Hell, there could even be a prophecy specifically warning about that (As the DM, you're in charge of determining who the prophet who prophesied is). The true 'cost' could be this paladin's faith that the universe really would be better with Tyr and Helm together again. If their belief holds true, evil may be foiled.

Okamigekido
2019-08-11, 07:35 PM
To the person that said Helm is alive, where did you read this?

Second question: If I were to execute this idea, how exactly would I go about doing it? (Ex: doing sorts of detective work, or going around to other gods and getting information from them to oppose Tyr's original accusation)

Sigreid
2019-08-11, 07:41 PM
All there is to it is to remember it's your campaign and then:

1. Decide whether Helm is innocent. Just because the player wants it to be true doesn't mean it has to be, that's your decision.
2. If you want it to be true decide what really happened.
3. If you decided it's true, decide what evidence exists that a god might have missed.
4. If you have decided it's true, decide where the evidence is and how the players might find it if they look.

If you don't want it to be true, there may be a really good/forgivable reason for what Helm did that they can find.

If you want to, you can give them a bunch of red herrings that ultimately lead to important epic adventures but ultimately prove Helm's guilt.

It's all up to you!

Kane0
2019-08-11, 07:43 PM
It would be largely dependent on both level and deity activity.

What level are the party, and at what level did you want this to happen?
What about access to willing priests/clerics capable of assisting?
What deities would be most involved, and what are their interests/schedules like?

Aett_Thorn
2019-08-11, 07:48 PM
So you can do whatever you want in your game story wise, but Helm is officially back to life in 5e, but the Devs haven’t gone into depth about it, and have just brought him back as part of the Sundering.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2zl2l0/comment/cpjzb8t

Okamigekido
2019-08-11, 07:52 PM
Well, right now I believe it's a little to early to pull of, but I think it's good to start thinking about it (that way maybe I can slowly start to involve more religious matters, etc etc)
Though, all the players in the group are a level four, and we have no sort of cleric and don't have any priests involved in the story line yet.
The most involved deities would be Tyr, Helm, Tymora and Cyric. (Not sure who else from skimming Helm's history)

Kane0
2019-08-11, 08:02 PM
Start with some Religion checks, maybe investigation during downtime.
Then the party finds themself some sort of expert on the matter, like a cleric, mage or scholar.
This may include some low level divination and conjuration magic.

Once the party has a solid idea of the situation, the hardest part of your job as DM is done. The plot hook is there, you have provided some tools and a direction to get started. Let the players come up with a course of action and see how it plays out.

At this level the party won't be able to directly influence matters, but they could get clever. That's not your job, your job is to facilitate their ideas and flesh out the paths they take. Conceptualize the NPCs they would be likely to deal with, come up with some events and items to complicate matters, that sort of thing. You know your group best, just work on making it interesting and engaging.

This endeavor would probably be a sidequest sort of deal, possibly long term. Deities can and do take personal action but they also have many, many subordinates to do things on their behalf. There would be ones interested in getting to the bottom of things (for various reasons), interested in keeping things secret (again, for various reasons) and those that don't really care (and could be handy as they make good neutral third parties to be roped in). If you have one or two of each that gives you plenty to work with as the party does their thing.