PDA

View Full Version : Spell Casting And Grapples

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-11, 04:39 PM
So if your a spellcaster and some how a fighter gets close enough to you to grapple (lets say he was transported over by an enemy caster, that your you just not that good of a wizard), what do you do. What spells do you have handy to deal with that sort of situation. Do you keep a spell like fear, sleep, ghoul touch, with a metamagic feat just incase. If you high level do you use the Irresistable dance. or do you pass up somatic components all together, like a smart person would, and go for somthing nasty. Or do you find a simple fix at low levels so that you dont have to make the concentration check.

That brings up another thing, do all touch spell automaticly hit if you make all the casting rolls for concentration? you are grappling. So if that were the case wouldnt you keep the Irresistable Dance always handy (no pun intended).

I just wanted to hear the thoughts and oppinons of fellow casters. TY in advance.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-11, 04:55 PM
Dimension door only requires verbal components.

You still need to make touch attacks to discharge your spells in a grapple.

Draz74
2007-10-11, 05:04 PM
That brings up another thing, do all touch spell automaticly hit if you make all the casting rolls for concentration? you are grappling. So if that were the case wouldnt you keep the Irresistable Dance always handy (no pun intended)..

Several problems with that example.

First, a Wizard of high enough level to cast Irresistible Dance should always try to have it memorized and available, but not because of grappling -- just because it's ridiculously powerful.

Second, the answer is no. The FAQ clarified that a touch attack does not automatically work in a grapple ... some mumbo-jumbo about how the other person can try to grapple your hand away from themselves and discharge your spell elsewhere or something.

Third, even if a touch attack did automatically hit in a grapple, you wouldn't be able to cast a spell with Somatic components automatically in a grapple!

Fourth, by the time he can cast Irresistible Dance (15th+ level), a grapple-paranoid wizard should really be able to buy a Ring of Freedom of Movement and doesn't have to worry about the issue anymore.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-11, 05:08 PM
I was talking about using still spell to get around somatic components.

Man, it just seems like the touch spell was golden in grapple, oh well...

and If you not 15th+ level what spell do you use, thats what i would like to know.

PS. do use dimmensional door on yourself, or on the other guy, because I thought the creature had to be willing.

martyboy74
2007-10-11, 05:14 PM
PS. do use dimmensional door on yourself, or on the other guy, because I thought the creature had to be willing.

You DD yourself away by nearly the maximum distance, preferably onto an area the enemy can't get to. Once there, you hit yourself with invisibility and fly. Then you lay down the ownage.