PDA

View Full Version : My DM got mad at me for the naming of my familiar ?

ngilop
2019-08-12, 09:10 AM
So.. I just thought I would pass on this tory that I find actually funny but also sad in a way.

I started a new campaign and wanted to play a caster of some sort. I was looking through Ultimate magic (Oh yeah, this is a pathfinder game) and re-discovered you can have a goat as a familiar. Outloud during character creation I said 'oh sweet I can have a goat"

People laughed because just the session before the conversation during our game (the previous campaign) somehow moved to the time I dressed up as a mountain goat in class for a presentation.

So I made my character, and as per usual the DM looked over our sheets to see if anything was not jiving with the laid out campaign idea. Nothing was said and so I thought it all good.

But, when I started playing the game it came time to call my familiar over to me for something or other and the DM's response was 'WHAT! No, you cannot name your familiar that" The other players were laughing and totally loved it, but the DM would not be budged.

I guess one of the other players must have had a talk with the DM, or the DM snapped back to being a non-full crazy human and the next session let me know Tom Brady could still be named Tom Brady.

It is actually a bit difficult to play a goat as a familair becuase unlike a cat, hedgehog, or turtle they be noisy. and i just don't mean when they are vocalizing but walking/prancing/running half sideways. My wizard got a lot of weird looks with this hyperactive noisy little animal following after him in town and there was no 'lets all sneak past the orcs in this cave' because hooves on rock are not quiet, but at least he could climb like a pro.

Willie the Duck
2019-08-12, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't call the DM's reaction 'full crazy human' at all. Every campaign has a tone, and sometimes silly little jokes are campaign appropriate, and sometimes not. There's no 'right answer' and you just all kind of have to agree on whether this campaign people are going to be John Smiths, Drizzt Do'urden, Fighter #12, Seymour Butts, or whatnot.

Unfortunate that the DM didn't catch the familiar name when they looked over your character sheet, and if it hadn't caught them by surprise I'm sure it would have gone down better.

RedMage125
2019-08-12, 09:30 AM
I once had a fox familiar named Guy Fox. My DM thought it was hilarious.

HouseRules
2019-08-12, 09:39 AM

What happen to "Gal Fox"?

Uncle Pine
2019-08-12, 09:42 AM
I agree it's most likely a matter of clashing tones. Just like character builds, naming choices can potentially disrupt the intended atmosphere of a scene or campaign. Think about it this way: if you were planning to DM a somewhat serious or even gritty adventure and one player asked to play a character focused on improvised weapons (i.e. giant brushes) called Bob Ross, would you be ok with it? And as a player in that very campaign, wouldn't it sound out of place if the captain of the city guard or another PC was named James B Grossweiner?
Sometime funny names and reference will fly without an issue, other times they may not be entirely appropriate or a bit too much. In general, wordplays and puns can help reaching agreements that work for everyone (i.e. naming a stitched flesh goat familiar Tombrady, pronounced "tomb-ready").

Shocksrivers
2019-08-12, 09:44 AM
I would indeed say it is not that weird for your DM to ban such a name. I used to run a game where it was banned to name your character after famous fictional people, after we had a party of Aragon, Gimli and Legolas.

Banning actual people's names, sounds completely reasonably. Or rather, can be completely reasonable depending on the game.

As a DM, I take a long time to work out a world that is consistent, interesting, and epic world, so I prefer my players engaging that world at least somewhat serious.

Asmotherion
2019-08-12, 09:50 AM
i personally don't mind funny names in a one-shot. But in a serious campain i'd rather have characters who have congruent names or at least Renamed Referances.

For example i would rather someone naming their character "Shanos" than Thanos.

Palanan
2019-08-12, 10:16 AM
I had to look up the name to learn who Tom Brady is, so the reference would have gone right by me.

That said, I have to agree that real-world references can be extremely distracting and jarring to the tone.

Saintheart
2019-08-12, 10:20 AM
I have an online campaign at the moment where one of my players is running a Shai'ir. We named his familiar Eral. Gen Eral, because he gets everything.

... well, we thought it was funny.

ngilop
2019-08-12, 10:40 AM
We have a laid back style of play where things are not so serious we names like Al Bebahk, Eve Hill, or Yu'betta Sue Render have all been names we have played with for example.

The whole table was shocked at his response. Like I mentioned he either came to his sense, or one of the other players had a talk with him over the fact that other such has been used and some have been downright silly ala Bart Simpson to Moe Tavern's prank call names.

I think he was probably just not a fan of the Patriots, Tom Brady, or both.

Palanan
2019-08-12, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by ngilop
We have a laid back style of play where things are not so serious we names like Al Bebahk, Eve Hill, or Yu'betta Sue Render have all been names we have played with for example.

If this is your group’s typical approach to names, then yeah, your DM’s response seems a little off.

Maybe just a tough day overall, or maybe he felt he was taken by surprise?

Telonius
2019-08-12, 11:31 AM
Important question for context ... does the DM happen to be a Steelers fan?

ngilop
2019-08-12, 11:40 AM
Important question for context ... does the DM happen to be a Steelers fan?

Ya know. I am not sure. Professional sports is one of the few things we do not talk about extensively.

I know he played soccer in college (or was it just highschool) as well as wrestle. The only time we talked about football was when the Browns had finally won a game after like 2 seasons or so.

Mehangel
2019-08-12, 12:15 PM
I generally try to discourage my players from using "famous" character names.

On the other hand, I have known people who sincerely name characters after famous people without knowing it. One such person has unknowingly named characters as: Frank Castle, Tom Selic, and Rick Shaw. I am also guilty of accidentally naming people after famous people, for example I once named a redheaded character James Olsen, and it was entirely accidental (never got into DC comics, let alone Superman).

GrayDeath
2019-08-12, 12:50 PM
So, I ahve no read your OP 4 times, and I still cant find HOW you named your Goat Familiar.

Either I am too tired today, or you didnt tell, which, well, does make answering the question difficult....

Âmesang
2019-08-12, 01:35 PM
After reading the opening portion I was expecting the goat to be named "Billy." :smalltongue: Granted, I recently played as a Frankenstein-like necromancer named "Doc Wagon."

On the other hand, I have known people who sincerely name characters after famous people without knowing it. One such person has unknowingly named characters as: Frank Castle, Tom Selic, and Rick Shaw. I am also guilty of accidentally naming people after famous people, for example I once named a redheaded character James Olsen, and it was entirely accidental (never got into DC comics, let alone Superman).
I once named a halfling "Sunset Rose McGowan" just 'cause I thought the first two names sounded nice together…

…and then had to pause a moment; "wait, why does that sound familiar?"

Palanan
2019-08-12, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Âmesang
I once named a halfling "Sunset Rose McGowan" just 'cause I thought the first two names sounded nice together…

I have to admit, "Sunset Rose" is a perfect name for a halfling. It's an act of pure will not to steal this. :smallsmile:

Originally Posted by Mehangel
...I once named a redheaded character James Olsen....

Never heard of this person. I'd never heard of Rose McGowan either.

Callin
2019-08-12, 01:50 PM
I just retired a character called Keifer of Sunderland. He was from the future of a friends world that was overrun by the Cthulhuapocalypse according to him the Illithids took over and Abberations run the world like Terminator Style. So my character was from the Sundered Lands.

I got a new one named Korbin Da'lis. So far he seems pretty Green.

My Most Favorite of Character names is for a Halfling. Dandylion Tigerlilly. The most fearsome name a Halfling can have.

tiercel
2019-08-12, 02:37 PM

Hah :). Extra points if you (and thus also your familiar) had UMD ranks and your familiar could run around setting off explosions in battle (or, you know, if you had a special magical mask crafted for your familiar’s face slot ;) )

Personally, I would have had trouble resisting the urge to call such a familiar “Mulder,” but hey.

— On point, as others have said, it really depends on the game (both DM and other players) as to naming conventions: in a beer-and-pretzels kick-in-the-door campaign, Bob Battle the Barbarian would probably feel right at home, but in a Ravenloft campaign — unless it is the most tongue-in-cheek X-Files-themed pseudo-horror ever — I’d probably hesitate to bring in Fox Mulder, heh.

Thurbane
2019-08-12, 04:58 PM
I had a raven familiar named Edgar.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-12, 06:42 PM
My Most Favorite of Character names is for a Halfling. Dandylion Tigerlilly. The most fearsome name a Halfling can have.

Is it green if I steal this name? Gonna be checking out a new group tonight and I think a halfling barbarian will be non threatening enough. (I 'll whip up a few characters to fill gaps. Play what is needed and all that)

Albions_Angel
2019-08-13, 03:05 AM
Maybe it was a case of mistaken identity? which would explain how the other player talked him down so quickly?

I have to admit, when I read Tom Brady, I did a sharp intake of breath. I am in the UK and dont know much about American sports, but I know enough to recognize the name, and that there are several scandals going on about assault allegations in US sports right now, and I guess I just put two and two together because why else would I know that name? Perhaps the DM had a brain fart moment and confused with someone who was actually embroiled in a scandal?

(also, I dont get why a goat named after a sports player is funny. I think I am missing the joke...)

EGplay
2019-08-13, 05:24 AM
Maybe it was a case of mistaken identity? which would explain how the other player talked him down so quickly?

I have to admit, when I read Tom Brady, I did a sharp intake of breath. I am in the UK and dont know much about American sports, but I know enough to recognize the name, and that there are several scandals going on about assault allegations in US sports right now, and I guess I just put two and two together because why else would I know that name? Perhaps the DM had a brain fart moment and confused with someone who was actually embroiled in a scandal?

(also, I dont get why a goat named after a sports player is funny. I think I am missing the joke...)

Don't know of any scandals involving Mr Brady, but GOAT means greatest of all time, and apparently he was sportsman ot year.

Mordaedil
2019-08-13, 06:35 AM
If the DM reacts negatively to your familiar name, then you just suck it up and pick a different name. This is not the hill you want to die on. Joke names can have a place in certain games, but if your DM puts his foot down, then you've overstepped your bounds. It's not worth the shade and you'll sour the rest of the game if you keep it.

Just don't do it.

ngilop
2019-08-13, 08:41 AM
Don't know of any scandals involving Mr Brady, but GOAT means greatest of all time, and apparently he was sportsman ot year.

Yeah, it is this why i named my familiar Tom Brady.

I do not personally believe that he is, that distinction goes to Drew Brees. it is just people ignore the latter because the former has so many superbowl victories... nothing to do with actual statistical numbers.

I was not all self righteous about it nor wanting to be some kind of matyr.. I was just taken aback by the DMs reaction when we have literally had off the cuff names like that scores of times before.

Telonius
2019-08-13, 09:02 AM
Most of my name puns are lost on the party. Dunstan Ludius for a double-agent spy, working with a fake Succubus named Desideria. Cassandra Chalceus, descended from a Brass Dragon. They'd get more of them if anybody knew Latin roots.

Then there was the time where I surreptitiously started the party in a modified version of Ponyville (names and races changed to protect the punster). I made it subtle enough that they didn't realize anything was up until I started describing the capital city they were traveling to.

RedMage125
2019-08-13, 09:59 AM
Hah :). Extra points if you (and thus also your familiar) had UMD ranks and your familiar could run around setting off explosions in battle (or, you know, if you had a special magical mask crafted for your familiar’s face slot ;) )

Personally, I would have had trouble resisting the urge to call such a familiar “Mulder,” but hey.

— On point, as others have said, it really depends on the game (both DM and other players) as to naming conventions: in a beer-and-pretzels kick-in-the-door campaign, Bob Battle the Barbarian would probably feel right at home, but in a Ravenloft campaign — unless it is the most tongue-in-cheek X-Files-themed pseudo-horror ever — I’d probably hesitate to bring in Fox Mulder, heh.
No, but it was the familiar of a Kitsune Sorcerer (who took the Magical Tail feat once) named Miles Prowers.

That's only an argument for naming your goat Wayne Gretsky.

Malphegor
2019-08-13, 10:43 AM
It's a better name than the pretentious lovecraft reference that was 'Granek' the bat.

Note for future-me- when making characters with a new group, have normal names for your things, that way other players might learn your character's name and their pet's names. Tom Selleck the housecat isn't dignified but people will remember that.

MisterKaws
2019-08-13, 11:22 AM
I generally try to discourage my players from using "famous" character names.

To be fair, I'd first think of Rick Shaw as an anthro-horse joke name rather than some TV host.

And I'm also half-sure that guy based his name off the homonym vehicle, considering neither is his birth name Richard, nor his surname Shaw.

KillianHawkeye
2019-08-13, 06:56 PM
I had a player in my group back during the 3.0 era who had a familiar that was basically an animated stone version of an animal (from some third party book, I think). He named it Dwayne.

Keep in mind this was during the early days of The Rock's acting career when the average person didn't know that his real name was Dwayne Johnson. At the time, we considered this to be a clever name (after the reference was explained to us), because it was relatively subtle.

Thurbane
2019-08-13, 07:04 PM
I also used to have a mule, named Francis...

rel
2019-08-15, 11:00 PM
The take away here is to explain the games theme and tones up front so everyone is on the same page and no one wastes time preping for a game they don't want to play.

As the GM tell the players, this is the game, it will be about this, this is the theme, this is how we are handling rules, these are the characters I'm hoping to see, etc. If there is going to be a big twist early on and you must keep it secret at least say that there will be a twist.

As a player, talk to the other players, especially the GM; This is the character I'm making, they will be strongly for x, opposed to y, have these goals, do these things. GM, I'll be trying to achieve this, how would you like to handle that, etc.

If you do end up sitting down at a table and find that the game is not what you expected or someone has missed the point then talk it over with the group. Maybe you can change something, maybe a compromise can be reached, maybe it just doesn't matter or it doesn't matter enough to stop the session and you can work things out afterwards.

bannondorf
2019-08-16, 01:13 AM
In the first game I DM'ed one of my plays had a pseudo dragon familiar he named 'Puff', and there was a song to go with it that was only slightly plagiarized. In my current game, I had a Ranger that got a Badger for a animal companion...he named it 'Honey'. as long as its not lewd and the players are having fun I never let it bother me ;)

ben-zayb
2019-08-16, 02:27 AM
As others already mentioned, this largely depends on the campaign's general tone/seriousness, and only for as long as everyone is on board with it. Unfortunately, the DM is part of that "everyone". Maybe the DM wasn't feeling it back then, so try to find a better time to ask again?

Tom Brady is even quite tame name IC anyway, compared to some deliberately absurd ones we've had before like Duval Cross, Biggia Titia, or Don Juan Notre-Belle.

I got a new one named Korbin Da'lis. So far he seems pretty Green.You better have the Ruby Rod of Asmodeus somewhere in the campaign.

FaerieGodfather
2019-08-16, 07:13 AM
Just chiming in to say that these kinds of puns and wordplay are a total nonstarter at my games.

The fact that they're standard for the OP's gaming group does sort of change the dynamic... but until I saw that post, I thought the DM was being entirely reasonable.

weckar
2019-10-02, 09:53 PM
Only time I recall ever ever having a pun name was a geometer named Gol'dahn Razzio. And he was a one-off NPC.

Rynjin
2019-10-02, 10:03 PM
There are some names I can see banning. I was irritated with a guy who wanted to make a Halfling Cavalier named "Lances-a-Lot", for instance.

But Tom Brady is...pretty tame, even in games that trend toward serious naming conventions. 99.99% of the time your goat is just going to be called "Tom". it's a minor bit of amusement that it's on the sheet in session 1 and then that's it. He's Tom the goat.

Katie Boundary
2019-10-03, 12:28 AM

But did he remember the 5th of November?

truemane
2019-10-03, 08:45 AM
Metamagic Mod: Counterthread!