PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Scorn Earth: How many uses does it has?

St Fan
2019-08-12, 09:42 AM
I am pondering about the Scorn Earth power from the Elocater prestige class, and how useful it can be.

Scorn Earth (Su): At 1st level, an elocater's feet lift from the ground. From now on, she can float a foot above the ground. Instead of walking she glides along, unconcerned with the hard earth or difficult terrain. While she remains within 1 foot of a flat surface of any solid or liquid, she can take normal actions and make normal attacks, and can move at her normal speed (she can even "run" at four times her normal speed). However, at distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes to 10 feet per round.

While she remains within 1 foot of a surface, she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as if she were the subject of the psionic levitate power (see the levitate spell description, page 248 of the Player's Handbook).

Okay, first of the description of gliding along instead of walking would imply the character no longer need to move her legs to travel. Personally (but that's just a fluff/flavor thing), I envision instead the character still walking/running (since she keeps her normal speed), but doing so on an invisible "ground" generated by her power. Maybe with a slight visual/sound effect.

Also, like with any supernatural power, I consider it goes without saying that it can be switched off at will. It's a necessity when keeping a low profile is required.

Advantages:

Ignore any kind of difficult terrain. That’s quite explicit in the description. Thus, can always move at full speed and charge or run even over obstructed or slippery terrain.

Works above liquids, thus allow the Elocater to easily walk on water as if on dry land. I’m not entirely clear if the power would permit to rise above water if you’re already immerged, though.

Immune to caltrops, spikes, acid, poison, hot coals, grease, ice, glue or other hazards spread on the floor.

Immune to trap doors; probably doesn’t trigger them, and even if it was the case certainly won’t fall through. Won't trigger most traps relying on pressure plates, in fact.

Immune to some attacks conveyed through the floor, like Stomp.

Theoretically, could be impervious to a purely crawling swarm (as opposed to a flying one). I wouldn’t count too much on this one, though; even if the critters can’t jump, they may crawl unto each other, army-ants style, to reach, or climb on nearby walls or trees to let themselves drop on the subject. Relying solely on Scorn Earth to avoid a crawling swarm would be quite risky anyway.

Makes you technically 1 foot taller. Notably affect vertical reach for high jump. I can see Scorn Earth being favored by small characters for the increased reach and the pleasure of speaking to taller people face-to-face.

Can spook superstitious characters by floating above the ground. Would rather normally be a drawback, leading to avoid using Scorn Earht in public when you don’t want to draw attention. However, it can also be exploited. Pick a cloak covering enough to hide the feet, and you can pass for a specter.

Keep your feet dry, and clean of mud and dirt. One Elocater of mine will certainly forego footwear along the line.

There has been debate whether a character gliding would get circumstance bonuses to move silently while not touching the ground. The description of the power doesn't explicitly say, though. At least, the character would probably be immune to circumstance penalties for moving silently, like a squeaky floor or dry leaves, since not touching them.

Drawbacks:

Can’t use techniques that require to be in contact with the ground, like the Stone Dragon martial maneuvers.

That's just on top of my head. Do you guys can see any other advantage and/or drawbacks of the power that I have neglected?

Zaq
2019-08-12, 09:54 AM
You probably won’t leave tracks, so that’s cool.

Even if you become very limited when going more than 1 foot off the ground, there are times when going up (as with psionic levitate) is very handy.

Might be able to argue for the “high ground advantage” +1 to hit if you’re the same size category as your target.

I say there’s no “probably” about ignoring pressure plates—you definitely won’t set them off while levitating.

Asmotherion
2019-08-12, 10:01 AM
The wording seems to imply it's a passive ability. Also it's rather balanced considering a Full Caster can Fly Around all Day.

You also can't Profit from Earth Spell wile floating. Earth Spell is nice.

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-12, 10:04 AM
If you weigh a lot, maybe you can just turn it off to stomp your opponents to death?

Rijan_Sai
2019-08-12, 10:55 AM
Might be able to argue for the “high ground advantage” +1 to hit if you’re the same size category as your target.
"It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!"
"A mere +1 circumstance bonus? You underestimate my power!"
:smallbiggrin:

True, as is Earth Power!

Drawbacks:

Can’t use techniques that require to be in contact with the ground, like the Stone Dragon martial maneuvers.
To be honest, though, I tend to be a bit more... lenient as a DM. I would probably...* you know, scratch that. The ability is called "Scorn Earth," which indicates that you are actively denying the ground. One of the rare instances where I would rule that you are denied abilities that require touching the ground.
... rule that if you are able to move at full speed (within 1' of the ground,) you would be able to access Earth Power and Stone Dragon. But...

Segev
2019-08-12, 11:20 AM
As for running or just floating along, that's entirely up to you. The power doesn't specify, so fluff your use of it however you like.

Because it just makes you slower when more than 1 ft. off the ground, if you have abilities that let you move without using your movement speed (e.g. dimension door or the like) you can treat it as effective flight. If you're using Pathfinder instead of 3.5, the Nomad's Step ability that lets you teleport at will, especially if you take the feat that makes it a move action, combined with Scorn Earth means you just teleport point-to-point and ignore the pesky lack of hover-speed above the ground.

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-12, 11:38 AM
Scorn Earth (Su)
At 1st level, an elocater’s feet lift from the ground. From now on, she can float a foot above the ground. Instead of walking she glides along, unconcerned with the hard earth or difficult terrain. While she remains within 1 foot of a flat surface of any solid or liquid, she can take normal actions and make normal attacks, and can move at her normal speed (she can even “run” at four times her normal speed). However, at distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes to 10 feet per round.

While she remains within 1 foot of a surface, she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as if she were the subject of the psionic levitate power.

Get a Climb speed. The ability doesn't specify land speed. And trees and walls and whatnot are surfaces. Nowhere in the ability is the specification of "horizontal". So you can scorn earth 100 feet up a wall, one foot away from it. Just levitating there. So long as the surface is "flat." Flat has multiple many of definitions, some of which aren't obligatorily horizontal.

1 foot above any surface then becomes weird...especially if you have the up the walls feat.

Celestia
2019-08-12, 12:25 PM
I have always thought it weird that the ability didn't at least give you a bonus to move silently. I guess they just figured that since it's a psion prestige class, only psions would take it. Still, I'd probably give it a +8 bonus to mirror the bonuses granted by special movement, like climb and swim.

St Fan
2019-08-12, 12:28 PM
Because it just makes you slower when more than 1 ft. off the ground, if you have abilities that let you move without using your movement speed (e.g. dimension door or the like) you can treat it as effective flight. If you're using Pathfinder instead of 3.5, the Nomad's Step ability that lets you teleport at will, especially if you take the feat that makes it a move action, combined with Scorn Earth means you just teleport point-to-point and ignore the pesky lack of hover-speed above the ground.

Yes, or the Blink Shirt soulmeld bound to the Totem chakra. I already thought about this combination. In fact, the build I'm thinking about involves 2 levels of Totemist.

Although I rule the power to only work while you're upright. If you're tripped, you fall all the way to the ground.
You need additional precautions to use Scorn Earth regularly at high altitude. (The Pegasus Cloak soulmeld covers this nicely -- permanent feather fall.)

Get a Climb speed. The ability doesn't specify land speed. And trees and walls and whatnot are surfaces. Nowhere in the ability is the specification of "horizontal". So you can scorn earth 100 feet up a wall, one foot away from it. Just levitating there. So long as the surface is "flat." Flat has multiple many of definitions, some of which aren't obligatorily horizontal.

1 foot above any surface then becomes weird...especially if you have the up the walls feat.

Yeah, okay... now we're entering the "I'm not totally sure the GM will allow this" category.

Climbing a surface is bound to be faster than Scorn Earth anyway. It's nice to ensure you don't have to stay clinging to a precarious ledge between moves, though, you can just step above emptiness.

And yes, I considered Up the Wall, but it's iffy whether Scorn Earth provides you with "a horizontal surface" to end your move.

The same question arose with a Pegasus Cloak soulmeld bound to the Totem chakra. It allows you to fly, but you must begin and end the move on "a solid surface". Your mileage may vary if Scorn Earth counts (the Simple RAW Thread disagrees).

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-12, 01:17 PM
Yeah, okay... now we're entering the "I'm not totally sure the GM will allow this" category.

Climbing a surface is bound to be faster than Scorn Earth anyway. It's nice to ensure you don't have to stay clinging to a precarious ledge between moves, though, you can just step above emptiness.

Any time you have to break out a dictionary to defend a rule reading, you're in ask your DM territory. Lol

Psyren
2019-08-12, 01:57 PM

The standard trick there is to pour dirt in your shoes. (Note: Beware of flying DMGs.)

St Fan
2019-08-12, 03:34 PM
Earth Spell is for spellcasters who have feats to waste. Not many builds will be interested.

This reminded me of one thing, though: the Air Mastery and Earth Mastery abilities of elementals.

An Elocater probably doesn't count as "touching the ground" against an earth elemental, but I wonder if she can truly be considered "airborne"?

Celestia
2019-08-12, 04:11 PM
Earth Spell is for spellcasters who have feats to waste. Not many builds will be interested.

This reminded me of one thing, though: the Air Mastery and Earth Mastery abilities of elementals.

An Elocater probably doesn't count as "touching the ground" against an earth elemental, but I wonder if she can truly be considered "airborne"?
I'd say yes. One foot off the ground is still off the ground.

RNightstalker
2019-08-12, 05:09 PM
"It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!"
"A mere +1 circumstance bonus? You underestimate my power!"
:smallbiggrin:[/SPOILER]

Well played! Post of the day!

Asmotherion
2019-08-12, 06:29 PM
The standard trick there is to pour dirt in your shoes. (Note: Beware of flying DMGs.)

This made me laugh so much for some reason! XD