PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help with a Bard (both RP & optimization)

jaappleton
2019-08-12, 12:38 PM
So mentioned in a previous topic, my old home table is forming back up.

And I’ve decided to pick up a support role, help my fellows players shine brighter.

I’ve approached the DM with this concept and we both agree it’s too good to NOT go forward with. So this is it:

I’m a Bard that had a legitimate hit song about 30-35 years ago. Burned through any money from it well before this. But nowadays, my former hit song is only ever referenced as a joke.

Desperately to have my legacy mean anything other than a punchline, I have struck out to become an adventurer.

I’m Rick Astley, D&D adventurer, and I’m never gonna give you up.

——

Yup. This is what I’m doing.

Any advice at all in how to RP this?

And what archetype should I do with?

And for the record, I’m not confined to Human here. This is D&D, we’re supposed to have some fun with this. So while I guess Glamour is the most “accurate”, it’s not what I’m confined to.

DracoKnight
2019-08-13, 03:20 PM
I still hate that you're actually doing this xD

I have a suggestion for how to RP them, but it involves binging a TV show (that's not terribly long).

I'm not necessarily saying you should copy this 1:1, but the main character is a washed up hero, who's kind of given up on life until they get spurred onto a quest to reclaim their former glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4

GandalfTheWhite
2019-08-13, 03:29 PM
I still hate that you're actually doing this xD

I have a suggestion for how to RP them, but it involves binging a TV show (that's not terribly long).

I'm not necessarily saying you should copy this 1:1, but the main character is a washed up hero, who's kind of given up on life until they get spurred onto a quest to reclaim their former glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4

Side note: this show is f*cking great, and anyone who wants to run a comedic D&D game should watch it. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Crowbar
2019-08-13, 05:30 PM
I kinda feel like Valour might fit best? Glamour is all charms and illusions which I wouldn't associate with Rick Astley. But Valour can help allies boost their damage and AC, and you're hardier and better able to get in melee when you're really needed there. I'd expect someone who would never give me up to be right by my side.

Nagog
2019-08-13, 06:23 PM
College of Satire is a lot of fun and can make for a really great comedic character. With the level 6 ability, you almost hope the target makes their save XD

Contrast
2019-08-13, 06:45 PM
Firstly, if you were actually planning on naming them Rick Astley I'd suggest something else. That way when if the joke wears thin you can drop it and play it up again after a break rather than being reminded every minute. I suggest Rock Ustloy.

I also strongly encourage glamour bard. I'm playing one atm and its been great fun.