PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Macrophage, a Medicine Inquisitor or Teamwork Ranger?

Niokuma
2019-08-12, 02:31 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrophage
https://cellsatwork.fandom.com/wiki/Macrophage

I want to play a macrophage in my next campaign that I play in. We roll our stats (4d6, drop the lowest, discard results that are <10). Because they wear pretty little nurse outfits form the late 1800's, she's going to end up with Dexterity and Strength as her primary stats. I wanna use the Tetsubo 'cause it deals the most damage counting critical hits (1d10/x4). I know I want to give her Blight's Bane and Bloody-Minded for traits and for skills, I've figured Intimidate (because she'd always be smiling even when striking down foes with her tetsubo), Perception & Sense Motive (so she can recognize foes), and Knowledge Nature (so she can recognize the kind of threat she's dealing with). She'd also have some Knowledge Dungeoneering because Macrophages travel through the lymph nodes and that's kinda like the body's sewer system if I understand them correctly. Additionally, if I have the skill points, putting some into Profession Teacher because of the varied roles macrophages have in helping cells mature.

What I'm stuck on is if Inquisitor would be the best choice (monster lore) or if Ranger would be the best one (favorite enemies). The single class would be preferred but I wouldn't turn down multi/prestige classing if it helps with her theme.

Kurald Galain
2019-08-13, 02:42 AM
Inquisitor is the more effective of the two, and the more fun to play (due to having more diverse abilities). Note that inquisitors get bane at level 5, which is more powerful than favored enemies.

Niokuma
2019-08-14, 04:35 PM
Inquisitor is the more effective of the two, and the more fun to play (due to having more diverse abilities). Note that inquisitors get bane at level 5, which is more powerful than favored enemies.

Oh, awesome. ^_^ Thanks for the advice and help. ^_^ I was leaning towards Ranger initially but when I looked at the Inquisitor (something I haven't played yet), I wasn't sure about the Ranger anymore, even with the power of the teamwork. Thanks again for the advice and help. ^_^

Rynjin
2019-08-14, 04:45 PM
Both classes are good, but I'm also biased toward Inquisitor; it is my favorite class in the game. It just has SO. MANY. ABILITIES. and almost all have viable archetypes that only swap one or two of them to shift to your preferred specialization.

If you want one that's a little closer to Ranger, take Sacred Huntmaster; it gets an Animal Companion i exchange for Judgment. Or Sanctified Slayer since it gets Favored Target (from Slayer, a Ranger hybrid class) for the same trade.

Niokuma
2019-09-04, 08:51 PM
Both classes are good, but I'm also biased toward Inquisitor; it is my favorite class in the game. It just has SO. MANY. ABILITIES. and almost all have viable archetypes that only swap one or two of them to shift to your preferred specialization.

If you want one that's a little closer to Ranger, take Sacred Huntmaster; it gets an Animal Companion i exchange for Judgment. Or Sanctified Slayer since it gets Favored Target (from Slayer, a Ranger hybrid class) for the same trade.

Ooh, looking at the Sanctified Slayer, the addition of the studied target seems pretty on spot with what I'm going for and the sneak attack damage is MWAH!! :D

The Sacred Huntsmaster is pretty cool too, but not thematically what I'm going for.