PDA

View Full Version : HAL: Handy Alchemy Laboratory

Lyinginbedmon
2007-10-11, 05:28 PM
Because Craft is an untrained skill, and alchemy only needs even 1 piddling level of spellcasting, I'm trying to put together a laboratory that any old Adept or other spellcaster could walk into and start producing whatever alchemical item they want, based on equipment and scrolls/wands.

So far, this is what I have:
+2 Alchemist's Laboratory itself (500 GP){Superfluous, but integral to the concept}
+2 Headband of Intellect +4 (16,000 GP)
+10 Command Word Wand of Improvisation (36,000 GP)
+15 Command Word Wand of Divine Insight (54,000 GP)
+30 Magic item of +30 competence (90,000 GP)

Total bonus: +57
Total cost: 196,000 GP (15th level wealth)

So, with that, we can now make Liquid Mortality with a 185% success rate, in 4.385 weeks. Anything we can add?

Alchemy DCs

DC Item
15 Acid, Daystrider capsule, Vodare, Weeping flask
20 Alchemist’s fire, Antitoxin capsule, Baccaran, Blend cream, Brittlebone, Catstink, Crackle powder, Devilweed, Embalming Fire, Endurance elixir, Fareye oil, Fast torch, Ferrous aqua, Forger's paper, Freeglide, Gravedust, Healer's balm, Ironman capsule, Keenear powder, Lockslip grease, Mordayn Vapor, Powdered silver, Sannish, Smokestick, Softfoot, Stability capsule, Suregrip, Tindertwig, or Trail bar
22 Alchemist's frost, Alchemist's lightning, Bloodwine, Festering bomb
25 Acidic Fire, Agony, Antitoxin, Auran Mask, Feather powder, Flash Pellet, Focusing Candle, Ghostoil, Hawk's Ointment, Leap capsule, Liquid nightMushroom Powder, Nature's Draught, Nerv, Noxious Smokestick, Quickflame, Quickfrost, Quickspark, Screaming flask, Sunrod, Tanglefoot bag, Thunderstone, Toxic tooth, Weeping flask, or Weeping stone
26 Boneshard paste
27 Redflower leaves
28 Celestial essence
30 Clearwater tablet, Liquid light, Luhix, Terran brandy, Quicksilver, Rust Cube
32 Sunlight oil
34 Lichbane
35 Ghostblight, Strongarm capsule, Swiftstride capsule
40 Liquid mortality

DAVE: Difficult Alchemy & Venom Expert
Gnome Rogue 6/Ninja 3/Spellthief 10/Exemplar 1

158 +23Int skill points, poison use*, spells, steal spell, and skill mastery.
Max out Craft (alchemy), with at least 8 Craft (poisonmaking) ranks for the Poison Ex/Ma feats, he also needs 6 ranks in Diplomacy to qualify for Exemplar.

Assuming max ranks and a modest Int of 23, plus Skill Focus, we get:

+33

Added to HAL's +57, that's a total of +90. We can make a dose of Liquid Mortality in 1.543 weeks with a 225% success rate. I'm not sure if Take 10 should be allowed when crafting something, but that doesn't matter because of Skill Mastery.

*Using Poison Expert and Poison Master, Dave can make even better poisons than most people, and he could potentially cheat some extra cash with this. For example, he has enough ranks to max out Bluff, so he makes some poison and uses it on a test subject infront of a prospective buyer. He announces the effectiveness of the poison (When he uses it) to them and bluffs that it works like that all the time.

Now, of course, this isn't the most optimised build (There must be dozens of skillmonkey threads on these boards, none of which I've looked at), and it's nowhere near the records (As listed here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=4182765&postcount=1) in '04) of other skills, but at present it does appear to be the highest (known to me) bonus to Craft (alchemy). I'm certain it can go higher.

Enlong
2007-10-11, 05:31 PM
So, lemme get this straight. You're suggesting a HAL lab? As someone who has played both Smash Bros. games, that is quite funny, actually. Anydangway, this is pretty darn cool. Someone needs to make an Alchemy Lab placed into an extradimensional foldable sheet of wood, to make it portable, just a thought.

BisectedBrioche
2007-10-12, 02:02 AM
So, lemme get this straight. You're suggesting a HAL lab? As someone who has played both Smash Bros. games, that is quite funny, actually. Anydangway, this is pretty darn cool. Someone needs to make an Alchemy Lab placed into an extradimensional foldable sheet of wood, to make it portable, just a thought.

When you consider the fact that he also has an NPC named Dave, I'd say that its a reference to the antagonist and protagonist (respectivly) of the movie 2001: A Space Oddessy. HAL labs are actually named after the computer IIRC.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-10-12, 02:25 AM
Yes, it's a 2001 reference.

Hmm...can someone correct my math here? I'm trying to compare the 100 roll from HAL & DAVE when making Acid in terms of Weekly progress (In SP) compared to Daily (In CP). It should be a tenth of the speed, but the progress allows them to make a single vial of acid in 3/20 the time (25-1/5 hours, or a little over 1 day), but when I compare the CP it jumps to 1-1/2 days.

Quietus
2007-10-12, 03:39 AM
Yes, it's a 2001 reference.

Hmm...can someone correct my math here? I'm trying to compare the 100 roll from HAL & DAVE when making Acid in terms of Weekly progress (In SP) compared to Daily (In CP). It should be a tenth of the speed, but the progress allows them to make a single vial of acid in 3/20 the time (25-1/5 hours, or a little over 1 day), but when I compare the CP it jumps to 1-1/2 days.

Weekly progress : 15x100 silver, or 1500 silver progress per week. That's 150 gold, which gives you 15 acid vials in a week.

Daily progress : 15x100 CP, or 1500 copper. That's 15 gold, which gives you 1.5 acid vials per day.

Of course, if you "voluntarily raise" the craft DC for acid up by 10 several times, you get : 95x100, for either 95 acid per week, or 9.5 acid per day.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-10-12, 05:30 AM
Hmm...if we jack up the DC to 95 (8 +10s) because we can hit 100 instantly, we can make 950 SP per week, or 95 SP per day. That's 95 vials of acid each week, or 9-1/2 each day, 1 vial every 2.5 hours. If we get a good few of these labs with their own DAVEs, we could produce a torrential river of the stuff...

Of course, it gets worse. By taking a slight -4 penalty on the Craft check, we can use Alchemy to make poisons (Which is why it's included in DAVE).