PDA

View Full Version : Index [3.5] Sources of Temporary Feats

Thurbane
2019-08-12, 09:46 PM
Just wondering what methods their are for "temporarily" getting feats. I realise that's an ambiguous term, but this is a thought exercise anyway.

Classes:
Binder (various vestiges)
Chameleon (Bonus Feat)
Heartfire Fanner (Inspired Fight)
Revenant Blade (Ancestral Guidance)
Warblade* (Weapon Aptitude*)

Class Features:
Familiar (Alertness)
Soul Melds (various)

Spells/Powers:
Alter Self/Polymorph etc. (racial bonus feats)
Feat Leech
Heroics
Mirror Move
When Two Become One (get mounts feats)

Items:
Handbook of the Exotic Practice of Feat Binding (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4099.0)
List of Feat Granting Items/Locations/Grafts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts)

I'll expand the list as I get suggestions.

Cheers - T

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-12, 10:13 PM
Spells: When two become one, leap into animal (I think these both blend your feats)

Class: Heartfire fanner, planar wizard sub level

Template: Symbiotic template, curable lycanthropy, spellscale meditation

Planar touchstone: catalogues of enlightenment (different domains)

Bphill561
2019-08-12, 10:33 PM
Just off the top of my head

The "Bite of the X" spell line grants weapon finese, blind fighting, and power attack depending.

Srinshee's Spell Shift from Lost Empires of Fearun allows you to apply a listed metamagic feat to an allies casting. It does not specify you need to have the feat.

Kind of obvious and less temporary is the shun/embrace the dark chaos spells. Especially for a shadowcraft mage or dweomerkeeper that can cast the spells xp free.

Domain substitution spell could grant a temporary feat if you have the right domains available.

Master's touch grants proficiency with a held weapon or shield.

I was avoiding equipment because of the above links, but knowstones from dragon magazine grant a bonus spell known to spontaneous casters. The ring of spelltheurgy also grants temporary spells known.

Thurbane
2019-08-12, 10:37 PM
Wow, I can see the list getting big...

Zaq
2019-08-13, 01:40 AM
At least one soulmeld gives Track. I think it’s the crown bind of the hunter’s circlet? And without looking, I know the sighting gloves give a Precise Shot-like effect, but I forget if it’s actually the feat or if it’s just an effect that’s nigh-identical.

For utterances, accelerated attack gives Spring Attack. Reversed magic contraction gives “the effect of” Empower Spell, but not necessarily the actual feat. Silent caster has the same “the effect of” wording for Silent Spell.

Many of the spellscale “blood-quickening meditations” give temporary feats, though there are sometimes limitations.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-13, 02:18 AM
Don't know if this counts, since it's approaching it from the opposite angle, but any Changeling with Racial Emulation taking other races' racial feats. Get's closer to this thread when they have multiple racial prestige classes that grant feats (e.g. a Changeling with levels in Weretouched Master, Revenant Blade, and Human Paragon), allowing them to switch between them in a manner more akin to temporary feats.

EDIT: Just remembered that it's actually fairly controversial whether you lose the benefits of a prestige class you no longer qualify for. Still works with racial feats for multiple races, though.

ShurikVch
2019-08-13, 02:21 PM
Well, Feat Leech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/featLeech.htm) is limited, but still works

Anarchomancer PrC (Dragon #315) under the Ritual of the Dark Infiltrator can become some completely different character - thus, with completely different feats. Ritual takes 24 hours, costs 1000 XP and 1000 gp, and the new form is 2 lower less than the "original" (maybe, just one level lower - if the Anarchomancer have Improved Cohort feat)

Asmotherion
2019-08-13, 02:40 PM
Bite of the werebear/tiger spells give Blindfight and Power Attac.
Bite of the Wererat gives Weapon Finesse

Metamagic Storm gives a Metamagic feat. i believe there are 2 more non-permanent magical locations?

Some touchstones also give some feats i believe?

Celestia
2019-08-13, 02:48 PM
Being within arm's reach of your familiar grants Alertness.

Thurbane
2019-08-13, 07:03 PM
I'm reading the "Bite of" spell. They say "you gain the benefits of X Y Z feats", which isn't really the same as having the feats...

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-14, 01:39 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide has rules for making a magic item that grants a feat as long as the item is equipped.

DeTess
2019-08-14, 05:07 AM
I'm reading the "Bite of" spell. They say "you gain the benefits of X Y Z feats", which isn't really the same as having the feats...

Functionally they probably would be though, unless a DM rules that 'qualifying for another feat, PRC or spell' is not actually a benefit.

Malphegor
2019-08-14, 05:24 AM
Spellscales can quicken their blood by thinking about dragon gods once per day which basically gives them a choice of limited times per day version of some metamagic feats (and eschew materials)