PDA

View Full Version : First level feat

Goob
2019-08-13, 07:32 AM
We will soon be starting a campaign with a few tweaks. Our DM is allowing us to take a free feat at level one. He is also allowing some stuff from UA, as long as it isn't too broken.

What cool suggestions do you have with this? I don't have a lot of experience, but something like a revised ranger taking Elven Accuracy as my level one feat could be cool? Interested to see what overpowered, quirky and fun things you guys can think of! Multiclassing is allowed, he is generally a pretty chill and lenient DM as long as it's not ridiculous.

Hit me!

nickl_2000
2019-08-13, 07:39 AM
Alright, it would really, really help us if you could narrow it down a tiny bit.

Do you have a class/race/character role/character concept in mind? Are you looking for combat tier or social tier?

In general there are a few really, really powerful/useful feats early on.

Inspiration Leader - you can nearly double your parties HP at low levels per short rest if you have enough charisma
Heavy Armor Mastery (HAM) - You resist a lot of damage and it makes a gigantic difference at low levels
Polearm Mastery (PAM) - Immediately have two attacks per round and other goodness
Healer - Others may not like this, but I love this feat.
Crossbow Mastery - Similarly to PAM, you can get two attacks per round starting at level 1.
The social feats from UA are all pretty darn amazing.

SirGraystone
2019-08-13, 07:43 AM
If your plan is to use a bow I would take more sharpshooter.

Goob
2019-08-13, 07:57 AM
Alright, it would really, really help us if you could narrow it down a tiny bit.

Do you have a class/race/character role/character concept in mind? Are you looking for combat tier or social tier?

In general there are a few really, really powerful/useful feats early on.

Inspiration Leader - you can nearly double your parties HP at low levels per short rest if you have enough charisma
Heavy Armor Mastery (HAM) - You resist a lot of damage and it makes a gigantic difference at low levels
Polearm Mastery (PAM) - Immediately have two attacks per round and other goodness
Healer - Others may not like this, but I love this feat.
Crossbow Mastery - Similarly to PAM, you can get two attacks per round starting at level 1.
The social feats from UA are all pretty darn amazing.

Looking to be more ranged damage, so spellcaster or archer I think, due to other players already considering two tanks. Definitely keen to hear any suggestions though, but maybe some focus on high DPR, long range builds. I've considered something like a sorlock but that all just seems a bit much and a bit silly!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-13, 07:59 AM
The stealth feat is really nice for a stealthy game/character.

EA, Crossbow Expert and Spell Sniper come to mind for a range character.

I recommend you to limit your options so you will get better suggestions.

Of, for a Sorclock I will get Spell Sniper with eldritch bals at level one with a level of Sorcerer for con save.
After that 2-3 levels of warlock, 2 more Sorcerer and then choose to continue Warlock or Sorcerer.

Hexblade are great for damage.
So are asimars(protector) and Elves(EA).

I like to take shadow on the Sorcerer side and try to get to level 20 for the level 18 shadow feature (so cool).

You can also start with Crossbow Expert for better damage at level 1-5 and the ability to range attack in melee or EA for the 18 cha.

nickl_2000
2019-08-13, 08:02 AM
Looking to be more ranged damage, so spellcaster or archer I think, due to other players already considering two tanks. Definitely keen to hear any suggestions though, but maybe some focus on high DPR, long range builds. I've considered something like a sorlock but that all just seems a bit much and a bit silly!

Given a ranged caster your best options are likely

Sharpshooter
Warcaster
Inspiring Leader (if charisma based)
Elven Accuracy
Spell Sniper

AHF
2019-08-13, 10:05 AM
I like crossbow expert if my plan is to be an archer. I hate having to put my bow away because someone closed to melee and getting 2 attacks per round at level 1 is really great.

Sharpshooter is easier to implement as you raise your DEX stat and your proficiency rises. Tougher to take that -5 at level 1.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-13, 10:25 AM
I'm becoming a big fan of Magic Initiate.

You can snatch up things like Shillelagh and Thorn Whip, or Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade. You could go over to Warlock and pick up Eldritch Blast. You can get some Utility/Creative cantrips - like Shape Water/Mold Earth/Minor Illusion. You also get a spell you can cast once a day, so you can snag Find Familiar (a popular choice). Also gives you the option to pick up Goodberry - a 1/day free cast 10 HP Berries which solves any food/survival problems and gives you 10 HP of free healing daily. Another popular idea is Absorb Elements, a free cast 1/day resistance to an elemental attack with +dmg on your next strike.

Some good looking choices for a ranged character (bow vs spellcastinig):

Magic Initiate (Druid) - 2 of: Shape Water, Mold Earth, Create Bonfire, Thorn Whip, Guidance || 1 of: Goodberry, Absorb Elements

Magic Initiate (Wizard) - 2 of: Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation, Shape Water, Toll the Dead || 1 of: Find Familiar, Absorb Elements, Shield

Magic Initiate (Cleric) - 2 of: Light (V. Human lacks Darkvision), Toll the Dead, Word of Radiance (AoE), Guidance || 1 of: Bless, Shield of Faith, Cure wounds, Healing Word, Guiding Bolt

I've never played ranger, but i imagine something like Mold Earth (Can create Difficult Terrain) // Create Bonfire (Create a Hazard) // Find Familiar for an Owl would be pretty good and thematic to start with.

Or, a Wizard/Sorcerer/Warlock Ranged caster may benefit greatly from something like Guidance // Shape Water // Goodberry, -or- Guidance (out of combat) // Word of Radiance (AoE) // Healing Word (a heal to toss in emergency) would be good

stoutstien
2019-08-13, 10:36 AM
Lucky is always a good pick for anyone but halflings can do some pretty silly things with super advantage 3x a day.

Nagog
2019-08-13, 11:14 AM

Ok, so this is a bit infeasable for actual use, but it is quite fun.
Rogue 3/Sorcerer 2/Warlock x
Feat: Spell Sniper.
Go Rogue 3 for Assassin subclass, auto-crit on an enemy that is surprised/hasn't acted in initiative yet. Pick up the Eldritch Spear invocation to up your range of Eldrtich Blast to 300 feet. With Sharpshooter, this is upped to 600 ft, and with Distant Spell from Sorcerer, that's 1200 feet. At that distance, the enemy will be surprised guaranteed. Add in the Agonizing Blast Invocation and you add your CHA to your damage to further that. Best part: by the time you have everything for this to come online (level 6), you have 2 Eldritch Blasts per casting. So 2 enemies getting hit with auto-crit Eldritch Blast from over 1k feet away. Granted the likelihood of actually being 1k feet away from your enemies in a game of D&D is quite low, but still fun in it's own right.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-13, 04:20 PM
The Alert feat is IMO an underappreciated one.

+5 to initiative.
You can't be surprised (as long as you are conscious)
Invisible and hidden enemies do not have advantage on attacks against you.

Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being unseen by you. There are a number of classes who will benefit from this greatly.

Trickery
2019-08-13, 04:33 PM
We will soon be starting a campaign with a few tweaks. Our DM is allowing us to take a free feat at level one. He is also allowing some stuff from UA, as long as it isn't too broken.

What cool suggestions do you have with this? I don't have a lot of experience, but something like a revised ranger taking Elven Accuracy as my level one feat could be cool? Interested to see what overpowered, quirky and fun things you guys can think of! Multiclassing is allowed, he is generally a pretty chill and lenient DM as long as it's not ridiculous.

Hit me!

If you're looking at revised ranger, a Kobold revised ranger with a wolf and feat: mounted combatant is pretty insane. While riding your wolf, all of your melee attacks and all of the wolf's attacks have advantage due to pack tactics.

Nagog
2019-08-13, 04:57 PM
If you're looking at revised ranger, a Kobold revised ranger with a wolf and feat: mounted combatant is pretty insane. While riding your wolf, all of your melee attacks and all of the wolf's attacks have advantage due to pack tactics.

Would you need Mounted Combatant for that? I could see it being pretty great for the Evasion style stuff it gives your mount, but I think Wolves are Medium creatures (I may be mistaken there) so you'd only gain advantage against small enemies. Still, a great race/class combo, I may build something like that for the kicks (and an excuse to play a ranger)

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-13, 05:22 PM
Herbalism Kit (create a potion at half-price as part of a long rest)
Alchemist UA Feat (maximize potency of one potion during a short rest)
Thief (use object as a bonus action)
Profit

Kane0
2019-08-13, 05:22 PM
Winged Tiefling with Infernal Constitution? Poison, Fire and Cold resistance alongside flight and con, int & cha boosts.

Bonus style points for not being a warlock, maybe Arcane Archer fighter? Then you can pick up some more interesting feats on top of the usual Sharpshooter.

Trickery
2019-08-13, 06:45 PM
Would you need Mounted Combatant for that? I could see it being pretty great for the Evasion style stuff it gives your mount, but I think Wolves are Medium creatures (I may be mistaken there) so you'd only gain advantage against small enemies. Still, a great race/class combo, I may build something like that for the kicks (and an excuse to play a ranger)

Helps you keep it alive and gives it better saving throws versus some common effects. I think it's still useful. But yeah, not as necessary.