PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon Divine focus

schreier
2019-08-13, 07:36 AM
I always thought the chameleon Divine focus power effectively granted access to all Divine spells. As I read it last night though, I began to question myself. It says:

Divine Focus: You gain the ability to prepare and cast divine spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any divine spellcasting class. You prepare and cast these spells just as a cleric does, except that you cannot spontaneously cast spells.

"From the spell list of any Divine spellcasting class"

That clearly includes cleric, druid, paladin, and ranger. Any other prestige class with it's own list ... But probably not domain spells?

Is my new reading correct?

Venger
2019-08-13, 03:09 PM
By RAW, you have access to the list of any divine spellcasting class, so that includes any base class, prestige class, and domain spells. A cleric with the fire domain (or whatever) adds those spells to his list and casts them as divine spells.

It's a very common houserule for gms to not consider domain spells as fair game for a chameleon for game balance reasons, similar to saying you can't get any arcane spell assuming it was obtained from an archivist (although if you're in a high op game, feel free to ask)

so ask your gm what op level you're playing at and make him aware of it before your game starts, so you're not left in the lurch. Even without domain spells, you'll have enough goodies to do pretty much whatever you want.

Troacctid
2019-08-13, 03:21 PM
By RAW, you have access to the list of any divine spellcasting class, so that includes any base class, prestige class, and domain spells. A cleric with the fire domain (or whatever) adds those spells to his list and casts them as divine spells.
That's not how domains work. The spells aren't added to your list. If they were, you'd be able to prepare them in your normal spell slots.

schreier
2019-08-13, 03:48 PM
That's not how domains work. The spells aren't added to your list. If they were, you'd be able to prepare them in your normal spell slots.

So is your take that Chameleons don't get the domain spells?

Troacctid
2019-08-13, 04:04 PM
So is your take that Chameleons don't get the domain spells?
All I'm saying is if you think they do get the domain spells, it can't be for the reason Venger said. (Chameleons definitely get all the fire domain spells, but that's because they're all on the shugenja list.)

Personally, I'm wary of cleaving too close to a literal reading in this instance, because it seems to me like it leads to the divine focus including the entire sorcerer/wizard spell list via sha'ir.

Thurbane
2019-08-13, 05:38 PM
Thanks to Divine Crusader, domains technically are a "class spell list" for at least one PrC...

Effectively, a divine crusader has a class spell list of only nine spells (one per spell level).

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-15, 07:55 AM
But you can only pick one class each time, right? The sentence we're looking at is singular.

Troacctid
2019-08-15, 11:11 AM
But you can only pick one class each time, right? The sentence we're looking at is singular.
"Any class" is singular in the grammatical sense, but so are "every class" and "no class," and I'm sure you'd agree that neither of them implies exactly one class. It's just a quirk of how English treats certain kinds of modifiers.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-15, 11:43 AM
I think I meant "the spell list"...

liquidformat
2019-08-15, 01:39 PM

No where does Divine Focus say all the spells you choose must be from the same spell list, it only says that you can choose spells from spell list of 'any' divine spellcasting class.

So that seems to leave you open to dumster diving as you see fit.

Similarly Rainbow servant leaves you pretty wide open when using arcane focus...

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-15, 01:57 PM
No where does Divine Focus say all the spells you choose must be from the same spell list, it only says that you can choose spells from spell list of 'any' divine spellcasting class.

So that seems to leave you open to dumster diving as you see fit.

Similarly Rainbow servant leaves you pretty wide open when using arcane focus...

Well, I'm saying that referring to "the spell list", singular, does in fact do that that. I realise that's an interpretation though.

On the other hand, I definitely think "the class from which I'm selecting my arcane spells is 'a Sorcerer who took all the levels of the Rainbow Servant prestige class'" is definitely more of a stretch!

liquidformat
2019-08-15, 02:34 PM
Well, I'm saying that referring to "the spell list", singular, does in fact do that that. I realise that's an interpretation though.

On the other hand, I definitely think "the class from which I'm selecting my arcane spells is 'a Sorcerer who took all the levels of the Rainbow Servant prestige class'" is definitely more of a stretch!

maybe you should read the ability before you try and argue about its validity... arcane focus gives you the capability to cast any spell that appears on an arcane class/prc's spell list; however you cast spells as a wizard including having a spell book. So if you have said cleric spell in your spell book it is fair game as it due to rainbow servant, The one caveat there is that according to the rainbow servant the spell is cast as a divine spell if it doesn't appear on the wiz/sorc/bard list so that might invalidate the ability... maybe...

Troacctid
2019-08-15, 02:53 PM
Still doesn't imply a singular class. It's just agreeing with the "any" language.

If you had to choose a single class, it would say "any one divine spellcasting class," and it would need to define when the choice is made (each day, or when the feature is first gained?).