PDA

View Full Version : What would you make a wizard or a sorcerer?

Throne12
2019-08-13, 12:09 PM
So this is what my Dm text me about creating a character
Stat array is 18 16 14 12 10 8
Starting at Level 11, get 1 Starting feat, 1 uncommon magic item.
Plus chose 2 from this list
Learn a language
Profency in 1 weapon
Profency in 1 armor
Profency in a skill
Profency in a tool set

He also has a rule you can't pick a class someone else is already playing. The party is
1. Human raised by minatars Samurai build as a hit and run. She bull rush a enemy hits them and keep going.
2. A bard dont know much else he join when I left for the summer to work.
3. A dragonborn warlock I cant remember how hes built.

So what do yall say I should make?

jdolch
2019-08-13, 12:18 PM
So this is what my Dm text me about creating a character
Stat array is 18 16 14 12 10 8
Starting at Level 11, get 1 Starting feat, 1 uncommon magic item.
Plus chose 2 from this list
Learn a language
Profency in 1 weapon
Profency in 1 armor
Profency in a skill
Profency in a tool set

He also has a rule you can't pick a class someone else is already playing. The party is
1. Human raised by minatars Samurai build as a hit and run. She bull rush a enemy hits them and keep going.
2. A bard dont know much else he join when I left for the summer to work.
3. A dragonborn warlock I cant remember how hes built.

So what do yall say I should make?

Well the Party already seems to have 2 Full Casters and a Striker. I don't see a Tank anywhere. You sure they need another Caster? If yes, (or if you want to play a pure Caster) I'd go with Divination Wizard.

If no then I would make a Sorcadin. Paladin 6 and then Sorcerer all the way. Starting at Level 11 puts you in the awesome Position that he is already online. Then you have a Tank and a 3 Quarters Caster rolled into one.

Half-Elf+1 ASI (Paladin 4) Puts you at

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 20

At Level 11 you already have Aura of Protection +5 Running and 3rd Level Spells from Sorcerer (4 3 3 2 Spellslots). And you still have the feat from Sorcerer 4 and the additional one to spend. Maybe Polearm Master+Sentinel ?

firelistener
2019-08-13, 12:19 PM
You should do whatever you think sounds the most fun.

If it were me, I'd go with a divination or evocation wizard because I think they're fun. I'd also go with dwarf if I couldn't use human, simply because I haven't played one before.

Reevh
2019-08-13, 12:30 PM
I’d go Divination Wizard if it were me, because I like prep casters with a lot of spell versatility.

As others said, though, your party seems short on front liners. Maybe consider a paladin or Sorcadin?

Trickery
2019-08-13, 12:39 PM
You've already got two high CHA classes and a front liner. Wizard is your best bet. Any subclass is good, but illusionists become particularly powerful, versatile, and fun around level 14 (depending on the DM). Enchanters are also very strong at level 10.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-08-13, 12:45 PM
If another resilient character is needed, I've heard that Abjuration wizards fit the bill.

Nagog
2019-08-13, 01:09 PM
I recently started playing a Bladesinger Wizard with an emphasis on playing and using my spells to play like a Rogue. Spells like invisibility, rope trick, mage hand, etc. Basically a full-caster Arcane Trickster. Dual wield scimitars/short swords, play as a hit & run (combining Booming Blade and Misty Step to get in, case damage, and bail). I also usually have Shadow Blade as a secondary weapon. I haven't been playing long, but I've enjoyed them immensely and even at a d6 hit dice, I've only gone down once (at level 3 against a Werebear, so I wasn't exactly expecting to get out without our healer's help).

Throne12
2019-08-13, 01:23 PM
I was thinking of going wizard. And I was thinking of adj or war for my wiz school. Then for my free prof taking heavy armor then picking mithrel plate for my uncommon this give me a 18Ac with no investment to str or dex. War magic can give me 20 to 22 ac and +6 to saves.

Reevh
2019-08-13, 01:31 PM
I was thinking of going wizard. And I was thinking of adj or war for my wiz school. Then for my free prof taking heavy armor then picking mithrel plate for my uncommon this give me a 18Ac with no investment to str or dex. War magic can give me 20 to 22 ac and +6 to saves.

Don't forget that heavy armor will reduce your movement speed by 10 unless you have a minimum of 15 STR (or you're warforged).

Don't discount Divination, btw. If you roll low for your portent rolls, that means you can effectively force enemies not to make saves against your spells, which is extremely powerful. It's nice to not take hits from an enemy because you have good AC. But it's often better to know that when you cast Hold Person on the big bad, it will actually paralyze them and your whole party will get auto-crits on them for at least a turn.

Sigreid
2019-08-13, 01:36 PM
If you do a deep gnome fighter 1/abjur wizard 10, you will have lots of wizard functionality and can take the tanking roll if needed.

Throne12
2019-08-13, 01:49 PM
Don't forget that heavy armor will reduce your movement speed by 10 unless you have a minimum of 15 STR (or you're warforged).

Don't discount Divination, btw. If you roll low for your portent rolls, that means you can effectively force enemies not to make saves against your spells, which is extremely powerful. It's nice to not take hits from an enemy because you have good AC. But it's often better to know that when you cast Hold Person on the big bad, it will actually paralyze them and your whole party will get auto-crits on them for at least a turn.

Mithril armor get rid of the Str requirement so that gets rid of the movement penalty.

Reevh
2019-08-13, 01:50 PM
Mithril armor get rid of the Str requirement so that gets rid of the movement penalty.

Oh right! Hah, I always think of the stealth check aspect because I generally don't wear mithril on low strength characters.

Ganryu
2019-08-13, 02:01 PM
First, I am an absolute madman. 2nd, first pretty much covers it.

I agree a tank could help your party. Therefore.... still pick wizard or sorcerer. Because if you can't make a class weird as hell, you aren't having fun!

If you are having Unearthed Arcana, may I present to you... The stone sorcerer! And a completely non-adventurer's league friendly build. I'm assuming this is with buddies.

And, because I'm retarded, my suggestion:

Stone Sorcerer 11

Str: 14
Dex: 18
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 8 (Yep, I went mad)

You have 2 ASI's to use from lvl 4 and 8. Throw both at Con, or one at dex, one at con.

Extra feat, grab Mobile, or Shield Mastery. Do you want to outshine a monk or a barbarian basically.

You know have an AC of 20 naturally.

Now how to make this work with 2 main spells.

Cantrips. Grab Green flame blade. Whatever else you want for flavor, this is needed. Nothing but spamming this.

Spells. Grab Shadow Blade.

Shield is also a life saver.

Rest of your spells are going to be completely utilitarian and outside of combat.

Metamagic, grab Quicken. Rest is flavor, though distant might be a candidate, as might Extended.

Every turn you are able to, or need to spam Quicken, and cast Green Flame blade twice.

You deal 6d8+4 damage every hit, so 12d8+8 per turn possibly, every turn until concentration ends.

You also have 112 HP, and effectively 25 AC, meaning you can tank like no one else. With +9 to concentrations checks, nothing short of a dragon or a nat 1 is dropping your concentration. If you have shield mastery, it'll be hard to get touched, and deal massive damage. You are also by the loosest definitions still a full spell caster.

Also completely probably not what you asked for.