PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Chainlock

Chalkarts
2019-08-13, 12:17 PM
I've got an idea.
I wanted to make a Warforged Warlock.

The Schtick is that he lacks the capacity to choose. He has personality, and is functionally intelligent, but when faced with a binary choice(Left or right, chicken of fish, which enemy of the last two to attack) he locks up until given an instruction. He's likable and helpful and has no problem functioning in any capacity as long as someone else is making the decisions.

This quirk amused his patron so the patron convinced him(easy due to low wisdom, very naive) that he could help him function better in exchange for an as of yet unspecified favor. He agreed, and became a path of the Chain Warlock. His familiar is his decider. When faced with a decision that locks him up, his familiar decides for him.

That's the meat of the character.

I'm leaning toward a Warforged Juggernaut. He would fight bare knuckle or with magic.

I can't decide on Patron, I'm thinking fiend would make the most sense, but I don't want him to be evil.
Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Reevh
2019-08-13, 01:49 PM
That's a really fun idea!

I feel like the Archfey would have a sense of humor that would enjoy your predicament, but I'm not a huge fan of the mechanics.

A Celestial could take mercy on your character and provide your decider to you.

Hexblade seems like it makes the most mechanical sense for how you want to play. Perhaps that would make sense if you ARE the weapon in question?

I kind of want a modron like Primus, but I'm not sure he fits any of the options. Maybe see if your DM will let you reskin an existing patron or homebrew one?

Nagog
2019-08-13, 02:31 PM
Depending on the level of tech available in the setting, you may want to check out the UA on Modern Magic, as they have the patron Ghost in the Machine. If it's typical fantasy, you may need to work with your DM to either rewire it (pun 100% intended) for a magical spin.

Beyond that, I'd agree that Archfey would be interesting, even if it's a reflavored entity that uses the Archfey. I like the concept of a patron for a Warforged being some kind of AI.

Burley
2019-08-13, 03:08 PM
I like that idea a lot. I'd actually go Archfey, as fey are known to be capricious and amused by "mortals." I can imagine a powerful Faerie delighting in the wind-up man.

I think having an Imp or Quasit around making decisions is basically saying that your character does evil things, but it's not his fault. I think that'll become tiresome for your table. I imagine the pixie familiar would be similar, but "chaos" rather than "evil."

But, I think a pseudodragon could be an interesting "chooser." It could be prone to taking things, or maybe getting side-tracked by old books. I think there are more options for character growth with the ol' Pseudo-D.

Reevh
2019-08-13, 03:19 PM
I like that idea a lot. I'd actually go Archfey, as fey are known to be capricious and amused by "mortals." I can imagine a powerful Faerie delighting in the wind-up man.

I think having an Imp or Quasit around making decisions is basically saying that your character does evil things, but it's not his fault. I think that'll become tiresome for your table. I imagine the pixie familiar would be similar, but "chaos" rather than "evil."

But, I think a pseudodragon could be an interesting "chooser." It could be prone to taking things, or maybe getting side-tracked by old books. I think there are more options for character growth with the ol' Pseudo-D.

I agree a pseudodragon makes more sense. It just kind of sucks that it's mechanically inferior to the imp. Maybe your DM will let you reskin an imp, or give the pseudodragon the same benefits as the imp?

Zetakya
2019-08-13, 03:22 PM
If you are allowed UA, Seeker would work well I think

Chalkarts
2019-08-14, 10:50 PM
I agree a pseudodragon makes more sense. It just kind of sucks that it's mechanically inferior to the imp. Maybe your DM will let you reskin an imp, or give the pseudodragon the same benefits as the imp?

I like Pseudodragon, it would also allow me to throw some capricious decision making in for the lols.

"Why did you drink that?"
"I was trying to decide if I should or not. I couldn't decide. Puff told me I should try it."

Pseudos have a 10int so it could have a full telepathic conversation so I don't have to role play or explain his decisions unless the players ask, then i can rp a justification.

Is there a Patron involved with Modrons?
I thought it would be awesome if his familiar was a tiny Monodrone.

Reevh
2019-08-15, 06:52 AM
I like Pseudodragon, it would also allow me to throw some capricious decision making in for the lols.

"Why did you drink that?"
"I was trying to decide if I should or not. I couldn't decide. Puff told me I should try it."

Pseudos have a 10int so it could have a full telepathic conversation so I don't have to role play or explain his decisions unless the players ask, then i can rp a justification.

Is there a Patron involved with Modrons?
I thought it would be awesome if his familiar was a tiny Monodrone.

Well the head of the Modrons is Primus. Primus is in charge of the plane of Mechanus, and in some versions of the history of the outer planes, Primus was in charge of adjudicating the trial of Asmodeus. Also, Primus was responsible for the creation of the Spawning Stone that Slaadi come from.

Mechanically which Patron matches Primus best? Honestly I have no clue. You may need to look for UA or homebrew that fits your concept or reskin one of the existing patrons. That's something to talk to your DM about if you really like the concept.

Chalkarts
2019-08-15, 08:36 AM
Well the head of the Modrons is Primus. Primus is in charge of the plane of Mechanus, and in some versions of the history of the outer planes, Primus was in charge of adjudicating the trial of Asmodeus. Also, Primus was responsible for the creation of the Spawning Stone that Slaadi come from.

Having Primus as a Patron could be cool.
A Warforged who fought the war and rejected the chaos of battle.
Sought to bring order to the universe and turned to the study of Mechanus as a guide.
Contacted Primus, made a deal, got a monodrone and spells. Not a pacifist but would rather handle situations in an orderly fashion, unless attacked.