PDA

View Full Version : Halflings sorcerer or warlock:short end of the stick?

Whit
2019-08-13, 02:45 PM
*Ability score +2 dexterity
*Speed 25 feet
*Lucky re-roll a 1 on a saving throw, ability check or attack roll. Keep the new roll.
*brave. advantage on frightened saves
*nimble. Move through the space of M> size creatures.
Lightfoot +1 charisma, hide behind m> size

How good is he/she.
1 Stats fit the classes 5/5 +1 cha +2 dex
2. Speed 25 3/5 1 hex less movement is not that bad.
3. Lucky. 1/5. Only works if you roll a 1. And then you have to keep the final roll even if another 1.
4. Brave. Advantage on frightened saves. 2/5
It’s good but situational.
5. Nimble. Move through creatures 2/5. You can move through creatures m> which can save longer routes, But doesn’t take away opportunity attack

Compared to charisma bonus races
1 Dragonborn weaker
2. Elf stronger
3. Aasimar stronger
4. Human stronger
5. Tiefling stronger
6. Tabaxi stronger
7. Tritan equal
8. Yuanti pure blood stronger

Any thoughts if you played a halfling sorcerer or warlock

Waazraath
2019-08-13, 03:37 PM
Some thoughts:

- I think you undervalue lucky; yes, it's only 1 in 20 rolls, but turning certain fail into possible win is cool in my book.
- same for Brave - in my experience fear effects can be quite common (depends a bit on campaign though), failing them sucks. Especiallys sorcerers: they don't are proficient in Wis saves, so advantage boosts their meagre defense against fear.
- I think you overvalue Elf, not having a cha bonus really makes 'em a worse choice in my book for Cha based classes (unless you are talking Eladrin). I'd always avoid Drow, unless underdark campaign, despite their Cha bonus.
- Don't think Tabaxi is stronger than either Triton or Halfling

More important: races are close enough that, though some are a bit better then others, I don't think anybody got the short end of the stick (or was short a pun with halfling?). If anybody, it would be the Dragonborn imo.

Trickery
2019-08-13, 03:39 PM
Lucky is better than it seems at first. Rerolling dice is generally a good feature, and this will come up on more than 5% of all of your attacks, checks, and saving throws. Why more than 5%? Because you roll two die whenever you have advantage or disadvantage. That's two chances to roll a 1 and get to reroll it. This makes them quite good for warlocks and sorlocks who can gain advantage on their attacks easily.

Besides that, you're small. You can hide in backpacks and take cover in places where other creatures can't. By RAW, you can also squeeze through tiny holes made for rats and the like. Cast Reduce on yourself and you can really do some stuff. Make no mistake, small size is a plus.

Whit
2019-08-13, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Waazraath;24086864]Some thoughts:

- I think you undervalue lucky; yes, it's only 1 in 20 rolls, but turning certain fail into possible win is cool in my book.
- same for Brave - in my experience fear effects can be quite common (depends a bit on campaign though), failing them sucks. Especiallys sorcerers: they don't are proficient in Wis saves, so advantage boosts their meagre defense against fear.
- I think you overvalue Elf,
Sorry drow was suppose to be there