PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclass/level up help for a kensei monk

george moshingt
2019-08-13, 03:27 PM
So I've been playing a kensei monk for a little while now.
we rolled for stats and I'm playing a ghostwise halfling Kensei Monk at level 6.

Current stat line is 8/20/12/8/16/12
I took the mobile feat at level 4
For kensei weapons I chose longsword and whip

So as I'm about to hit level 7 I'm considering multiclassing
So far I'm thinking one of the following:
Rogue scout
-expertise
-sneak attack
- reaction to move away
Fighter battlemaster
- fighting style
- action surge
- second wind
- battle maneuvers
Ranger gloomstalker
- preffered enemy
- fighting style
- spell casting
- +wis to initiative and 1 extra attack on first turn

What does everyone think is the best choice? Obviously any other option would work as well if you think something I haven't listed would be better.

Spieldog20
2019-08-13, 07:10 PM
War Cleric, hear me out.

As a Kensei, if you have a magic sword, then the level 1 bonus attack is slightly useful if you are low on or out of Ki. Otherwise, yea it sucks.

But the main purpose is for the spells. Specifically for Divine Favor. Add 1d4 radiant to all of your attacks, it adds up to a lot of damage very quickly with 3-4 attacks per round. You only need 1-2 levels to make this viable. Go back to monk for the rest or dip into fighter or ranger or whatever else you so desire.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-13, 08:52 PM
So I've been playing a kensei monk for a little while now.
we rolled for stats and I'm playing a ghostwise halfling Kensei Monk at level 6.

Current stat line is 8/20/12/8/16/12
I took the mobile feat at level 4
For kensei weapons I chose longsword and whip

So as I'm about to hit level 7 I'm considering multiclassing
So far I'm thinking one of the following:
Rogue scout
-expertise
-sneak attack
- reaction to move away
Fighter battlemaster
- fighting style
- action surge
- second wind
- battle maneuvers
Ranger gloomstalker
- preffered enemy
- fighting style
- spell casting
- +wis to initiative and 1 extra attack on first turn

What does everyone think is the best choice? Obviously any other option would work as well if you think something I haven't listed would be better.
Funnily enough I actually posted a video about a ghostwise kensei battlemaster haha!

What are you looking for out of multiclassing? Do you want more damage, more durability, versatility? Knowing that will help tremendously with your build, otherwise all of your options are good multiclasses.

CorporateSlave
2019-08-13, 09:01 PM
Well, first of all we need to know - how high is this campaign expected to go level wise? That can actually make a BIG difference in what course of action to take!

7 - Evasion! Clear those Fear and Charmed conditions guaranteed!
8 - ASI!
9 - Run along walls and over water!
10 - Immunity to Poison (now only White dragon breath weapons are a serious threat!), and +5 movement!
11 - +3 magic weapon on demand, and 1d8 damage for monk weapons (and for your "mini-smite")!
12 - ASI!!

Frankly, pure Monk up to level 12 is pretty good, and while level 13 feature is underwhelming, the level 14 is insanely good.

I played a very similar Monk and could no bring myself to multi class at all! I just couldn't give up any of those things listed above.

BarneyBent
2019-08-13, 09:04 PM
War Cleric, hear me out.

As a Kensei, if you have a magic sword, then the level 1 bonus attack is slightly useful if you are low on or out of Ki. Otherwise, yea it sucks.

But the main purpose is for the spells. Specifically for Divine Favor. Add 1d4 radiant to all of your attacks, it adds up to a lot of damage very quickly with 3-4 attacks per round. You only need 1-2 levels to make this viable. Go back to monk for the rest or dip into fighter or ranger or whatever else you so desire.

Second this. Divine Favour kinda sucks normally, especially on a Cleric making 1 attack per round. But on a Monk with no better use for concentration? It’s great! The bonus action attack is also good when wielding a Longbow as a Monk.

You can combine with Gloomstalker Ranger to really maximise the value of Divine Favour (and boost spellcasting level a touch for more slots).

A Kensei Monk 5+/War Cleric 1/Gloomstalker Ranger 3 can do some great ranged or melee damage, with durability and utility.

george moshingt
2019-08-13, 09:35 PM
The intention is to go as far as possible with the aim of getting to level 20 as long as noone backs out.
I'm mainly looking for damage over utility, my party members are a bard, a sorcerer, and a warlock.

My character is themed after trevor belmont(hence the whip) so I'm trying to build a strong character that feels like him