PDA

View Full Version : Tressym Animal Companion

Yogibear41
2019-08-13, 03:51 PM
If I use a Tressym as an animal companion (per sandstorm) how does the creatures base 1/2 hd work when it gains bonus HD? At 3rd level when it gains +2 hd would it have 2 hd and the 1/2 HD just gets dropped? or would it have 3 hd? or something else?

Troacctid
2019-08-13, 04:05 PM
You round it down, as per the standard rules for arithmetic in D&D. 1/2 + 2 = 2.

liquidformat
2019-08-13, 04:35 PM
You round it down, as per the standard rules for arithmetic in D&D. 1/2 + 2 = 2.

I am pretty sure you are incorrect and HD are one of the few exceptions where you round up, specifically because otherwise you would end up with 0 HD creatures being RAW...

Troacctid
2019-08-13, 05:15 PM
I am pretty sure you are incorrect and HD are one of the few exceptions where you round up, specifically because otherwise you would end up with 0 HD creatures being RAW...
You only round down at the end of a calculation. If you're not performing an arithmetic operation on the creature's HD total (or if the arithmetic operation would result in a whole number, e.g. death knell's temp HP lasting 10 minutes * 1/2 HD = 5 minutes), then no rounding is needed.