PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Witch?

creakyaccordion
2019-08-13, 05:52 PM
It seems that ever since the idea for a Witch base class in 3.5 was mercilessly slaughtered by WotC in using it for the example DIY class (which is always bad), we as a community have been grieving. So I ask you: what's your favorite way to actually play a Witch? I'm talking links to homebrew, 3rd party material, reskinning other classes, transfers over from Pathfinder or other systems, etc.

We can also make this a thread for ideas of what we've always wanted out of a Witch class. I've always wanted to see a version of the Witch who turns any broom she's holding into a Broom of Flying, by a reasonable level of course.

Let's see them Witches!!

Sutr
2019-08-13, 06:06 PM
Warlock, or Binder.

Zaq
2019-08-13, 06:20 PM
In your mind, what does a witch need to be able to do to feel distinct from a wizard, sorcerer, or similar magic-user? What's the defining feature of "witch" in your mind?

Asmotherion
2019-08-13, 06:24 PM
i don't believe you need to go far from core. A wizard or sorcerer from some specific culture could easyly be called a Witch.

A Hag would totally quallyfy as an Evil one.

In your mind, what does a witch need to be able to do to feel distinct from a wizard, sorcerer, or similar magic-user? What's the defining feature of "witch" in your mind?

Also that.

if it's the weird component part: Have you ever played with actually tracing components? Your typical Sorcerer or Wizard would be running around with a bunsh of Bones (some of them human) Eyeballs and Bat ****.

if it's the Hexing others: necromancy (among other schools) has a ton of curses. You even get the typical "transform into a frog" curse in the form of baleful polymorph. What more do you need?

if it's the style: Nothing prevents you from wearing pointy hats. it's even encouraged.

if it's the "brewing a potion": Brew Potion is a feat. Also scrolls allow for alternative forms and you can convince your DM to "brew" potions that are actually scrolls.

Flying on a broom: Broom of flying is a core wonderous item.

i really can't see what you'd want your Witch to do that a Wizard or Sorcerer can't do already.

Oberron
2019-08-13, 06:51 PM
warlock or witch from pathfinder feel perfect to me. a lot of control and versatility if you don't wanna be a wizard

StreamOfTheSky
2019-08-13, 07:58 PM
Druid always seemed plenty fitting for the role, to me.

creakyaccordion
2019-08-13, 07:58 PM

Let's take a look at all the things Witches are said to do in various cultures across the world:

Bestow hexes and curses
Brew potions and other magical poultices
Cavort with devils and beasts
Fly atop brooms
Discern strange prophecies/see into the future (think Macbeth)

While it's true that you can make a Wizard do any of these things, the same could be said of the Artificer, right? In theory, you could just have a Wizard who specializes in crafting magic items, but it's nice to have a specific class for that concept that enables you to expand on those ideas and have the mechanical support to really work with them.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to have a Witch class that looks like any combination of the following attributes: half or three-quarters casting with SA curses (think of something between a Bard and Warlock perhaps?), a special focus on necromancy, divination and conjuration, improved familiar abilities, potion brewing support. Obviously I doubt a whole class could balance all of that, but maybe something that could find a way to make the idea of a Witch have some more solid mechanical support.

Psyren
2019-08-13, 08:16 PM
For me the PF Witch is almost perfect. The only big thing it's lacking in my eyes is more shapeshifting. Turning into an animal felt like it should have been a bit more iconic than it ended up being. You can fix that somewhat with a patron like Transformation or Strength but having it baseline would have been better.

Beyond that - the hexes, the emphasis on enchantment and divination over illusion and evocation, the familiar instead of a spellbook, all of it feels great to me.

Thurbane
2019-08-13, 08:17 PM
You might some interesting ideas here: Villainous Competition VII: Double, Double, Toil and Trouble (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444478). This entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19960017&postcount=48) in particular is an interesting take on a witch, using Sorcerer + PrCs.

In addition to the classes already mentioned, the Spirit Shaman (CD) and Shaman (OA) could be fluffed as witches.

FaerieGodfather
2019-08-16, 06:59 AM
The Talented Witch from Rogue Genius Games. Basically the PF Witch with the ability to mix and match archetypes.

Silvercrys
2019-08-16, 10:25 AM
The Candle Caster from 3.0's Tome and Blood is pretty flavorful, even if it isn't all that strong.

Thurbane
2019-08-16, 04:38 PM
The Candle Caster from 3.0's Tome and Blood is pretty flavorful, even if it isn't all that strong.

It's full casting, and gets a bunch of pseudo-item creation abilities - so it's not exactly weak, either. But definitely not as strong as some as many other full casting PrCs (FR splatbooks, I'm looking at you).

Speaking of witches and PrCs, there's also the following: Dread Witch (HoH), Rimefire Witch (Fr) and Sea Witch (Sto).

Hathran (PGtF) is also a good "witch" PrC.

Eladrinblade
2019-08-17, 12:56 PM
If they're elite witches, I do sorcerer or sorcerer/cloistered cleric/mystic theurge. If they're not elite, I use adept.

Malphegor
2019-08-20, 05:30 AM
tbh having played one now, I find Dread Necromancer to be an adequate witch.

First off, proficiency with one weapon. Handy for a scythe. give it the OA Flying enhancement and glue some bristles on, and then you've got a broomstick that also is a decent weapon, even comes with a rudder for broom-scythe-surfing.

Next, a LOT of spells that are spooky, save or dies, or are just plain mean. Sprinkling in Corrupt Spells and Necrotic Cyst and you've got yourself quite a heinous and horrible person. including various resistances for Swamp Life.

At higher level you become more lichy of a witchy, and that's pretty rad.

radthemad4
2019-08-20, 06:48 AM
I kinda like this homebrew one (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50003)

Mnemius
2019-08-20, 07:06 PM
Granny Weatherwax.

For playing? Pathfinder witch, going with slyph race so at level 9 I can use a feat to buy permanent supernatural fly.

Yes, I have a staff dressed up like a broom that I look like I'm riding. Till the day someone takes it and taunts me about now I can't fly.
Then I walk across the air and some sort of touch spell take out while they're flabbergasted.