PDA

View Full Version : A bit of Fluff to make a punching machine monk

Ogrillian
2019-08-13, 07:45 PM
Okay I’ve always argued that monks should have more attacks per round due to fighting style (dbz, Ip man, etc) and have finally figured it out after reading the PHB, untrained unarmed strikes only do 1 right? Well change that single 1d4 strike to a burst attack, the number rolled is the number of 1dmg punches thrown, using a single attack roll. There we are now punching machines and other classes that might use unarmed are “power strikers” done😁

Edit: For those that would argue about separate magical activation from rings or proficiency modifier dmg: the speed of the attacks unleashed outstrip the activation time and the proficiency dmg is the collective dmg bonus, so both have to be added to the end of the burst attack.

JNAProductions
2019-08-13, 07:49 PM
Okay I’ve always argued that monks should have more attacks per round due to fighting style (dbz, Ip man, etc) and have finally figured it out after reading the PHB, untrained unarmed strikes only do 1 right? Well change that 1d4 into a burst attack, the number rolled is the number of 1dmg punches thrown. There we are now punching machines and other classes that might use unarmed are “power strikers” done😁

Assuming 5E?

You're free to fluff your damage however you want. If you deal 8 damage with an attack, I'd be fine as a DM letting you say it's a short flurry and not just one punch (though connecting with a solid punch up to 21 times in six seconds or less seems unrealistic enough that I'd request you not flavor it THAT far-least, not at level 2. At level 20, it's still unrealistic, but so's your character, so go nuts).

But they ALREADY get the most attacks.

Level 1-they get two, as compared to a Fighter's one (two with TWF, but that doesn't work with punches)
Level 2-they can get up to three, with flurry
Level 5-they get three for free, up to for with flurry, as compared to a Fighter's two (three with TWF)
Level 11-the Fighter catches up, but you can flurry pretty much at-will if that's what you save your Ki for now
Level 20-the Fighter can FINALLY hit four unarmed attacks a round! Something you've had for 15 levels

Ogrillian
2019-08-13, 08:10 PM
True, but I always felt the monk was a little weaker in terms of dmg and HP for a melee class that focuses on the body just to gain their speed and dodge rate (although this might be Korean and Jrpg game influence) and this also helps emphasize the speed they specialize in.

Amechra
2019-08-13, 08:46 PM
Assuming 5E?

You're free to fluff your damage however you want. If you deal 8 damage with an attack, I'd be fine as a DM letting you say it's a short flurry and not just one punch (though connecting with a solid punch up to 21 times in six seconds or less seems unrealistic enough that I'd request you not flavor it THAT far-least, not at level 2. At level 20, it's still unrealistic, but so's your character, so go nuts).

But they ALREADY get the most attacks.

Level 1-they get two, as compared to a Fighter's one (two with TWF, but that doesn't work with punches)
Level 2-they can get up to three, with flurry
Level 5-they get three for free, up to for with flurry, as compared to a Fighter's two (three with TWF)
Level 11-the Fighter catches up, but you can flurry pretty much at-will if that's what you save your Ki for now
Level 20-the Fighter can FINALLY hit four unarmed attacks a round! Something you've had for 15 levels

You say this. But my Monk cannot perform the Hundred Crack Fist. Their level of fist is... insufficient

:smallwink:

Now I've been inspired to make a Monk who gets moar punches. I'll have to see if I can leave it balanced out with the base Monk for damage.

JNAProductions
2019-08-13, 09:18 PM
You say this. But my Monk cannot perform the Hundred Crack Fist. Their level of fist is... insufficient

:smallwink:

Now I've been inspired to make a Monk who gets moar punches. I'll have to see if I can leave it balanced out with the base Monk for damage.

Oh, speaking of homebrew! Amechra, I just tried to PM you, but your box is full.

I got a special project that I want awesome eyes on, and you're one of the people I wanted for it!

Amechra
2019-08-13, 10:50 PM
Oh, speaking of homebrew! Amechra, I just tried to PM you, but your box is full.

I got a special project that I want awesome eyes on, and you're one of the people I wanted for it!

Aww thanks! I had a bunch of messages cluttering it up from the last time I was really active on the forums roughly 3 years ago. Kinda forgot about the whole inbox system, to be honest.

---

Back on topic:

It's kind of hilarious how much your ability scores add to your damage when make a ton of attacks, even if your base damage is ultra-low. At 1st level, letting them do two un-upgraded unarmed strikes (1+Stat damage) beats out their single unarmed strike dealing maximum damage by 1 point of damage.

A "saner" alternative: They get to make two d4 unarmed strikes as a bonus action without adding their ability score to damage, and get an additional bonus action attack at 5th, 11th, and 17th. Then Flurry doubles the number of attacks, still without adding any ability score to damage. Martial Arts never upgrades their damage die.

Ironically, the damage is pretty close to a standard Monk's.

Oh, right, this breaks everything if you dip Ranger or Warlock. Oops. :smallwink:

JNAProductions
2019-08-13, 10:53 PM
Aww thanks! I had a bunch of messages cluttering it up from the last time I was really active on the forums roughly 3 years ago. Kinda forgot about the whole inbox system, to be honest.

---

Back on topic:

It's kind of hilarious how much your ability scores add to your damage when make a ton of attacks, even if your base damage is ultra-low. At 1st level, letting them do two un-upgraded unarmed strikes (1+Stat damage) beats out their single unarmed strike dealing maximum damage by 1 point of damage.

A "saner" alternative: They get to make two d4 unarmed strikes as a bonus action without adding their ability score to damage, and get an additional bonus action attack at 5th, 11th, and 17th. Then Flurry doubles the number of attacks, still without adding any ability score to damage. Martial Arts never upgrades their damage die.

Ironically, the damage is pretty close to a standard Monk's.

Oh, right, this breaks everything if you dip Ranger or Warlock. Oops. :smallwink:

This isn't a mechanical change-this is purely a fluff change, if I understand the OP correctly.

Amechra
2019-08-13, 10:56 PM
This isn't a mechanical change-this is purely a fluff change, if I understand the OP correctly.

Oh, I realize that - I just wanted to see what it'd look like if you tried to make a Monk that actually got tons of attacks. Turns out it's pretty broken if you have any sources of bonus damage on all of your attacks.

JNAProductions
2019-08-13, 10:57 PM
Oh, I realize that - I just wanted to see what it'd look like if you tried to make a Monk that actually got tons of attacks. Turns out it's pretty broken if you have any sources of bonus damage on all of your attacks.

Ah, I gortcha. That makes sense.