PDA

View Full Version : Interesting idea from dm: Multiclassing within a single class...

samcifer
2019-08-13, 10:30 PM
So for our Wednesday games, our dm has allowed us to multi-class within a single class, say Totem + Zealot barbarian. The catch is that you only get the first level of that sub-class's abilities for the second sub-class. If you could do this, which class and two sub-classes would you go with and why?

Blood of Gaea
2019-08-13, 10:52 PM
Illusion Wizard with a dash of Divination because control in my jam and the flavor of that mix seems amazing.

bid
2019-08-13, 11:08 PM
You mean a BM 7 can trade his feature "know your enemy" for all samurai's 3rd features?

Does a warlock get 2 pacts, or 2 patrons?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-08-14, 12:00 AM
Doesn't seem all that great for Paladin (and to a lesser extent, Cleric) aside from a few notable exceptions, Conquest being a good multiclass for Paladin who want Armor of Agathys and Forge/Grave having many extra 1st level features for a cleric to take.

I'd be pretty excited about a Rogue though. Inquisitive Mastermind would have been a terrific fit for my Rogue.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-14, 01:01 AM
I will take shadow Sorcerer with the Divine Soul or storm or draconic firat level feature

If regular multi class is allowed or if there is magic items available I will remove draconic from the list(warlock multi gives better armor with hexblade and staff of defence will give mage armor).

I think I like the storm more then the Divine Soul as there are already nice Sorcerer spells in the Sorcerer list and you only get a limited amount.

I also have in mind a shepherd moon druid but I am not sure how to do it.

Ok, moon as a base and only the first feature of the Shepard.
Hello AOE Healing Spirit.

Khrysaes
2019-08-14, 06:30 AM
Barbarian = Zealot main with bear totem multi.

Bard = This one is difficult, bard has SO MANY good combinations. Sword + Lore, Sword + Whisper? The Fool from UA if that is allowed.

Cleric = Probably Knowledge and Life? Life probably with anything really. Or Forge, forge is good.

Druid = Moon main. Dreams for level 3 or Shepard would be cool. Dreams for extra healing,shepard to be able to talk to animals which is more thematic.

Fighter = This one is so versatile. Gladiator would always be useful, but I think battle master, samurai, and cavalier are all good choices. Brute from UA would be great too.

Monk = Shadow and sun soul for the light and darkness theme. definitely. Kensei also has a good 3rd level ability with agile parry and kensei shot.

Paladin = Ancient and vengeance probably? Maybe Conquest

Ranger = If UA is okay, Revised beastmaser +Gloom stalker. Gloom stalker and Monster Slayer would be nice too.

Rogue = Many are really good for a 3rd level feature. Assassin, Inquisitor, Mastermind, Swashbuckler, Arcane Trickster, Scout. Assassin 9th level and Mastermind 3rd would cool combo.

Sorcerer = Divine sould would probably be the dip. It increase your spell choices by soooo much. Shadow would be good too.

Warlock = Obviously hexblade. That first patron feature is great. I think Fey would be cool too for a 3rd level dip.

Wizard = So many good combos. Ill probably do Bladesinger and War Magic, because I dont want to look through them all.

CNagy
2019-08-14, 09:54 AM
Wizard: Everything plus Divination (Portent). Everything plus Abjuration (Arcane Ward). Depending on your DM, everything plus Conjuration (Minor Conjuration).

A lot of the other possibilities depend on how this is being done mechanically. Are you replacing the first subclass's abilities at a certain level with the first benefits of the second subclass's abilities? Or just grabbing the second subclass ability without losing anything from the first?

samcifer
2019-08-14, 10:42 AM
I'll get the specifics from the dm tonight.

Trickery
2019-08-14, 10:48 AM
Not that I expect your DM would allow it, but the spellcasting gained by arcane tricksters and eldritch knights is technically one scaling feature. Spellcasting is, of course, the best feature in the game.

samcifer
2019-08-14, 10:42 PM
Well He was playing a strategy game on his ps4 when I asked him how multi-sub-classing worked and he said that he thought it was in either the phb or dmg. Not the answer I had been hoping for. Has anyone ready anything in any of the official books about taking more than one sub-class?

AHF
2019-08-14, 10:47 PM
Well He was playing a strategy game on his ps4 when I asked him how multi-sub-classing worked and he said that he thought it was in either the phb or dmg. Not the answer I had been hoping for. Has anyone ready anything in any of the official books about taking more than one sub-class?

Nothing under the rules allows it. It is strictly Homebrew.

dragoeniex
2019-08-14, 11:31 PM
Abjuration (full)/Evocation (first feature) Wizard - for the intellectuals who gleefully surround themselves with storms of crackling magic. Torrential offense blows through the field- but cuts around allies. And with the same spiraling of energy that protected the wizard's friends, a defensive ward whips around its caster during the counterattack.

Both subclasses fit a mage who tends more toward instant gratification. And why choose between shutting down your rival's spells and having more control than your rival's spells when you can do both at the same, show-offy time?