PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Wood elf super nature build!

High5
2019-08-13, 10:38 PM
I'm looking at building a Wood Elf who's very into all things nature and fey related. I'm very interested in some of the spells such as, Conjure animals, conjure woodland beings, conjure fey, awaken, speak with plants / animals, etc.

My initial thought was some kind of Druid, most likely Circle of the Shepherd, because summoning is more important than Wild Shape, which I would reserve for utility rather than combat. I also thought Ranger because I want to keep at a distance and just shoot my longbow while concentrating on whatever I have conjured. With Ranger I could get the Archery fighting style.

Now after looking, I may be more interested in doing this with a Lore Bard. Bards have some of the spells that I'd want, such as: Animal friendship, Speak with animals, Locate animals or plants, Plant growth, and Speak with plants. Then I could pick up 8 spells from other classes to fill in the ones that I wouldn't already get as a bard. And the big bonus would be Find greater steed, which I couldn't get with either Druid or Ranger. So I could sit atop a Griffon or Pegasus and pew pew my arrows while concentrating on whatever I currently have conjured.

I also want to use awaken as often as I can afford to, to have an army of spies everywhere (assuming they stick around).

Going Bard I lose the really great Mighty Summoner feature from the Druid, and the Archery fighting style from the Ranger.

I want this character to be fairly useful in combat, not necessarily the best, and definitely be ranged. And to have a lot of nature based utility outside of combat, with spying and having plant and animal companions. What do you think is the best way to go about this? Is there a way around the Find greater steed? For example, could I awaken a griffon and befriend it, then convince it to let me ride it? Or would it's intelligence then make that even harder?

Mikaleus
2019-08-14, 06:50 AM
I’d also suggest

Circle of Dreams Druid and the College of Glamor Bard for a stronger Fey feeling. Double up with a Glamor bard Eladrin for extra fey and seasonal manifestations.

If you can use it, Selesnya background from Guildmasters guide to ravnica would suit your concept well too.

High5
2019-08-14, 07:17 AM
I like the Eladrin, I'm playing one now. But I like all of the Wood elf features a bit more for this character. With Wood elf I can use the longbow and hide easier.

Mikaleus
2019-08-15, 01:08 AM
https://koboldpress.com/midgard-heroes-greenleaf-college/

Midguard heroes is a 5e compatible product.

This is essentially a Druidic Bard college. With it you can still use magical secrets to get your steed spell.

If your DM would allow it.

Also, A half-elf of wood elf descent can choose the wood elf’s
Elf Weapon Training, Fleet of Foot, or Mask of the Wild. Just a bit of food for thought there.

Also would help to pick up sylvan as a language too, so you can talk to your summons.

Nhym
2019-08-15, 08:14 AM
What do you think is the best way to go about this? Is there a way around the Find greater steed? For example, could I awaken a griffon and befriend it, then convince it to let me ride it? Or would it's intelligence then make that even harder?

Don't discount the Shepherd Druid, you can still summon rideable creatures. For example, you can summon 8 Elks, Giant Bats, Giant Lizards, Giant Owls, or even just regular Riding Horses if you so choose. Mount one yourself, maybe your party wants to mount the others or if you just want to control them as summoned creatures. Since the summons from Conjure Animals are technically Fey and you will know Sylvan as default for being a Shepherd Druid, you can talk to them all. I like the idea of a wood elf archer atop a giant owl while seven other giant owls flyby attack everything.

As a replacement for the Archery fighting style, just try to get a magic longbow and the magic item "Bracers of Archery". They are an uncommon item so you can potentially have access to them quite early depending on your DM and you get a +2 to damage rolls on ranged attacks.

(Obligatory plug: I wrote a shepherd druid guide that's in my signature if you are interested)

High5
2019-08-15, 06:03 PM
Don't discount the Shepherd Druid, you can still summon rideable creatures. For example, you can summon 8 Elks, Giant Bats, Giant Lizards, Giant Owls, or even just regular Riding Horses if you so choose. Mount one yourself, maybe your party wants to mount the others or if you just want to control them as summoned creatures. Since the summons from Conjure Animals are technically Fey and you will know Sylvan as default for being a Shepherd Druid, you can talk to them all. I like the idea of a wood elf archer atop a giant owl while seven other giant owls flyby attack everything.

As a replacement for the Archery fighting style, just try to get a magic longbow and the magic item "Bracers of Archery". They are an uncommon item so you can potentially have access to them quite early depending on your DM and you get a +2 to damage rolls on ranged attacks.

(Obligatory plug: I wrote a shepherd druid guide that's in my signature if you are interested)

I read your guide before I made the post. It's actually what brought the Shepherd Druid into play for this build. I was pretty set on Bard until I read your guide. Now I'm unsure, because Shepherd Druid is great. But with find greater steed, I could ride a Pegasus! It might be more interesting to ride different summons for different occasions though. The giant Owl is a great idea.
I really love the preparedness aspect of your guide, for the summons. Those are great ideas because I'd really hate to annoy every other player at the table. What do you think of using Awaken on something like an Elk for a mount? Or is that just too smart? Like maybe an intelligent creature wouldn't want to be a mount, but maybe just a companion.
Now I'm almost going to have to build a lore bard and a shepherd druid, side by side and note the pros and cons of each build at each level. . .