PDA

View Full Version : More stuff for the Chameleon

ChudoJogurt
2019-08-14, 09:29 AM
I have a character in my game wants to play a Factotum/Chameleon character, with emphasis on the versatility. Not a fan of his choice, but it's a decent, solid class that does carry his own weight, so no reason not to.

And I thought that perhaps either if the class does prove to be underpowered (we play Tier 3, but this guy is really bad at mechanics) or as a reward for in-game stuff in lieu of treasure and in-game boons, I might let him get additional focuses for Chameleon - a martial focus (as in Tome of Battle stuff), psionic focus and a meldshaper focus.

But I do wonder - is this a good idea? Would that make him way, way overpowered in some way that I'm missing? Would that be too complicated mechanically? Are there any hidden reasons that'd be a bad idea?
Also perhaps if someone has done maths on some or all of these options and could share it - that'd be swell.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-14, 09:39 AM
It should be fine. Psionics won't be any worse than conventional casting, and meldshaping and initating will actually help a bit with that particular build's main weakness: it's going to struggle until decently into the mid-game. The Chameleon really needs you to come in with a strong enough offensive strategy to keep you going until the casting kicks in, and Factotum doesn't really give you that.

ChudoJogurt
2019-08-16, 06:18 AM
Since there is a chance nobody did that work previously, I'm gonna post my notes here.
PEACH, as usual, I'll appreciate comments from people with more experience in Incarnum/Psionics systems than I have.

So, additional foci for Chameleon:

Psionic Focus: You gain the ability to prepare and manifest psionic powers, which may be chosen from the Psion power list. You manifest those powers just as Psion does. Your power points per day, powers known and maximum power level are noted in the Table below. You gain bonus power points for high Intelligence, just as a Psion does. Your manifester level is equal to twice your class level. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (psionics) checks a +2 bonus on Will saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Martial Focus: You gain the ability to use martial maneuvers and martial stances, which may be chosen from Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, Setting Sun, White Raven or Diamond Mind schools. You choose your manoeuvres known when you choose to assume the Martial Focus, but you must still fulfill all the requirements for the manoeuvres you choose.
Your initiator level for those manoeuvres is equal to your class level + 1/2 * sum of all other levels you have.
The numbers of manoeuvres known and manoeuvres readied are noted in the Table below. You do not regain manoeuvres while in combat. You only gain one stance.
You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Martial Lore checks a +2 bonus on Will and Reflex saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Incarnum Focus: You gain the Essentia pool and the ability to meldshape and bind chakras as Incarnate does, though you are not limited by your alignment, and may shape soulmelds fromm any incarnum users list.
You may bind only one chakra at a time. The highest level chakra available, number of the soulmelds active and the Essentia pool are noted in the Table below
You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks a +2 bonus on Will and Reflex saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

The Table (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pIYgR-pNkDArmIlvxhuFTcRJqJLlpogFDcG5MMmNsZ8/edit?usp=sharing)

Notes:
Psionic focus is the most straightforward: I just converted the spell slots gained from arcane/divine focus into psionic power points as per usual rate (spell level-1)*2+1 and added them together. The Powers known grow as Psion, except one level behind, just to be conservative.

Martial -- the schools chosen were the ones shared by all classes: Desert Wind and Shadow Hand are Swordsage exclusive, Devoted Spirit is for Crusaders, Iron Heart is for Warblades.
I was conservative on the number of stances, and went with "one new maneuver per two levels" progression of the Swordsage for the number of maneuvers readied. Ability to choose any maneuvres every time one refocuses simplifies the mechanics (one does not need to track maneuvres known) and adds versatility which should be Chameleon strength. Should Maneuvers Known also be a thing? Should I allow all schools same as the Arcane/Divine foci allow any spells of corresponding type of spellcasting class?

Incarnum focus, again, apes the Incarnate, just making sure that the Chameleon is not stronger than straight Incarnate at soulmelding.

Did I miss anything? Does this make sense? Is this balanced?
Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

Stratovarius
2019-08-19, 08:01 PM
I suspect it got overlooked because it's been a while since I posted it here, but I made a Chameleon base class (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12823.msg285000#msg285000) that uses Psionics and Initiating, as well as a Nature focus and a Leadership focus. You might find them useful for what you're looking for.

Looking at the table for the various options, I'd suggest making them a little stronger, especially Soulmelds. Versatility that leaves you well behind your allies isn't much use.

Sutr
2019-08-20, 06:22 AM
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dnross/Dicefreaks/Dicefreaks_d20_Community_%E2%80%A2_View_topic_-_The_Red_Magi_5/viewtopic_001.html

Someone rewrote the class a long time ago as final fantasy's redmage over on dicefreaks before that closed has a martial and psionic progression. Also since dicefreaks has a lot of epic content.

ChudoJogurt
2019-08-22, 04:50 AM
Ooh, neat, thankee.

However I note that both write-ups allocate much less Power Points/level than I did. Is there deeper reasoning for that? Is just converting spells to PPs not the right way to go about it?