PDA

View Full Version : Best Wizard Tower?

Palanan
2019-08-14, 12:23 PM
I need suggestions for a wizard’s tower, preferably published examples of interesting and dangerous designs. Ideally these would be finished towers that could be dropped straight into a campaign.

I’m open to all official Wizards and Paizo content, as well as Dragon magazine and interesting designs from professional illustrators. Whether or not the tower is still occupied by the wizard who built it, if it has clever and lethal features I’d like to take a look.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-08-14, 12:33 PM
Not populated, but there's a Wizard's Tower (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mw/20030703a) map and several other towers in the Map-A-Week (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archiveall) at WotC.

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-14, 12:53 PM
https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures/

Type in wizard tower, 1007 hits

Palanan
2019-08-14, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou
Not populated, but there's a Wizard's Tower map and several other towers in the Map-A-Week at WotC.

Excellent, thanks. That first map immediately gave me a key idea, so that’s very helpful.

Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo
Type in wizard tower….

I’m aware of that site, thanks. Hoping for some more personalized recommendations, especially of towers with especially dangerous and/or clever designs.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-14, 07:54 PM
A wizard tower made up of floors, but no stairs. You have to figure out codes/sequences to activate the appropriate teleportation circles to make it to safe rooms, wrong codes lead to trap rooms.

Mike Miller
2019-08-14, 09:36 PM
Heart of Nightfang Spire is a 3.0 dungeon crawl through a vampire tower. I forget the vampire's class levels, but it probably qualifies as a wizard's tower. Lots of magical defenses

RNightstalker
2019-08-14, 10:24 PM
Here's an interesting design: only one floor above ground. Build down into the earth instead of up above it. People will come looking for the "great wizard's tower" and walk right by it without a single consideration.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-15, 07:59 AM
Permanent Animate Objects Daern's Instant Fortress

Efrate
2019-08-15, 10:30 AM
Gulthais from heart of nightfang spire is a 13th level vampire necromancer iirc, maybe 14 he casts 7ths. Its a reasonable trapped and guarded example of a tower.

Elkad
2019-08-20, 09:33 AM
For a little one, the tower in Red Hand of Doom is interesting, if only for the layout.

You'd have to repopulate it.

Baba Yaga's Hut, in Dragon Magazine (probably in the #70s?). All my Dragon Mags (40 to 140ish) died in a roof leak a couple decades ago. Tesseract layout. 1e I think, but very complete.

Palanan
2019-08-20, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Efrate
Gulthais from heart of nightfang spire is a 13th level vampire necromancer iirc, maybe 14 he casts 7ths. Its a reasonable trapped and guarded example of a tower.

We played through this one back in the day. I do remember some especially troublesome traps, so I'll have to go back and take another look at this one.

Originally Posted by Elkad
For a little one, the tower in Red Hand of Doom is interesting, if only for the layout.

Okay, thanks. What about the layout makes it especially interesting?

Originally Posted by Elkad
Baba Yaga's Hut…. Tesseract layout.

The Reign of Winter AP from Pathfinder has something similar in a couple of the chapters. I don’t have those books, so not sure of the specifics, but as I recall some of the reviews were a little cranky about that aspect.

Elkad
2019-08-20, 06:08 PM
The Reign of Winter AP from Pathfinder has something similar in a couple of the chapters. I don’t have those books, so not sure of the specifics, but as I recall some of the reviews were a little cranky about that aspect.

I don't know anything about the Winter version either.

I had a blast playing through the Dragon mag version, though my DM may have altered it somewhat? It was 35 years ago, so details are fuzzy.

We were confused and frustrated by the layout, while simultaneously enjoying the content, for a couple dozen hours of play. My maps were a disaster. Between sessions I was trying to reorganize them, and figure out the maze of lines I had connecting rooms in what seemed an irrational fashion. Suddenly it all made sense. Figured out that each room complex was a cube section, despite it's appearance, redrew each complex onto it's own sheet, and started scooting them around the table.

The fact that it was the Hut had little to do with it. The tesseract was the great part.

But I could see where some players would just find it frustrating. Probably the same ones who just want to make a Knowledge check when faced with a riddle or puzzle.