PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ring of Grammar as a General Mechanic

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-14, 06:08 PM
My friend gave me a challenge, and the results were so hilarious I just had to share it.

He was trying to 'break' spells by using rather out-there interpretations of the spell's descriptions. He was asking things like "If a person has his mouth open, does he counts as an "open container" for the effect of Create or Destroy Water.

I took direct inspiration for The Ring of Grammar, and said instead of arguing over spell descriptions, he could just use this:

Dylseixa

As a bonus action on your turn, you can change a number of words within a spell's description based on the result of your ability check, as shown in the table below. You can only swap out words for other words starting with the same letter.

12: One word

15: Two words

17: Three words

This feature only affect's the spell description and cannot be used to augment damage, duration, action required or whether the spell requires concentration or not. The DM can make additional rulings whether other specific aspects of a spell cannot be changed, such as changing the target of "Charm Person" or spells that target "self", on a case-by-case basis.

This is absolute garbage, but at least he wont start a trend of my entire group of players trying to deliberately mis-interpret spell descriptions xD