PDA

View Full Version : Character Build: Monster Hunter

raineym
2019-08-14, 06:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/H0STcOm.jpg

“How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams.” - Bram Stoker, Dracula

One of my favorite novels is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. In it, Dr. Abraham Van Helsing leads a group of people against Dracula, a “creature” that attempts to move from Transylvania to England so that he may find new blood and spread the undead vampiric curse.

Also, even though I have never played them myself, some of the most popular video games involve hunting down monsters and defeating them, such as Bloodborne and The Witcher. The protagonist in the Bloodborne series as well as Geralt of Rivia hunt monsters using their strength, resolve, wits, and magic to defeat them.

With that, I tried to combine all three into one character build: the Monster Hunter! While the base more closely emulates Geralt from The Witcher video games, being built off of the very-balanced Blood Hunter 3rd-party class developed by Matt Mercer. This class helps emulate the process of “The Trial of the Greens” and further enhancements throughout the game.

I then delve into the Fighter and Ranger classes to pick up some much needed class features to help the build in its attempts to be a better monster slayer.

Next, I give the option of taking either a few levels of Barbarian to get the Path of the Totem for a more martial build in order to resist damage monsters inflict or levels in Rogue to take the Inquisitive archetype to feel more like Dr. Van Helsing, using his quick wits to vanquish monsters instead of brawn.

I then finish the build by taking more levels of Blood Hunter, getting those features that will ultimately help slay most monsters once and for all.

This build is viable from levels 1 - 20, but this build is a very niche build that tries to replicate famous monster hunter archetypes such as the main protagonist from the Bloodborne video game, Geralt of Rivia from The Witcher video game series and upcoming Netflix series, and Abraham Van Helsing from the novel Dracula.
Ability Score Distribution: Point Buy

STR 15, DEX 14, CON 13, INT 9, WIS 13, CHA 8

Race: Human, Variant (Player’s Handbook)

Ability Score Increase: Str +1, Wis +1
Skills: Perception
Feat: Resilient [Constitution +1 ]

Background: Haunted One (Curse of Strahd)

Skills: Survival
Languages: Any one exotic language (Abyssal, Celestial, Deep Speech, Draconic, Infernal, Primordial, Sylvan, or Undercommon)
Feature: Heart of Darkness

Starting As Blood Hunter

Hit Dice: 1d10 per level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per level after 1st
Proficiency with light and medium armor
Proficiency with all simple and martial weapons
Proficiency with alchemist’s supplies
Proficiency with Strength and Wisdom saving throws
Proficiency with Insight and Investigation skills

Equipment as Level 1 Blood Hunter \ Haunted One

Longsword
Light crossbow and 20 bolts
One inexpensive but unusual weapon, such as a trident or net
Studded leather armor
An explorer’s pack
A monster hunter’s pack (see Curse of Strahd [Appendix A: Character Options] for more information)
One trinket of special significance (choose one or roll for a random trinket on the Trinkets table in chapter 5 of the Player’s Handbook or the Gothic Trinkets table in Curse of Strahd [Appendix A: Character Options])
A belt pouch containing 10gp

Progression

Take 5 Levels of Blood Hunter

Blood Hunter 1: You gain the Hunter’s Bane and Crimson Rite class features.

Crimson Rite Damage Die: 1d4

Blood Hunter 2: You gain the Fighting Style [Great Weapon Fighting -OR- Two-Weapon Fighting] and Blood Maledict [1/rest] class features.

Take Great Weapon Fighting if you plan to take Barbarian for character levels 14-16 or Two-Weapon Fighting if you plan to take Rogue for character levels 14-16.
Blood Hunter 3: You gain the Blood Hunter Order [Order of the Mutant], Formulas, and Mutagen Craft class features.

Mutagens: Nighteye, plus any two others

Blood Hunter 4: You receive an Ability Score Improvement/Feat Choice [ Strength +2 ].

Notes: Strength is now 18.

Blood Hunter 5: You gain the Extra Attack class feature.

Crimson Rite Damage Die: 1d6

Take 2 Levels of Fighter

Fighter 1: You gain the Fighting Style [Defense] and Second Wind class features.

Notes: You gain proficiency with shields.

Fighter 2: You gain the Action Surge class feature.

Take 3 Levels of Ranger

Ranger 1: You gain the Favored Enemy [any two] and Natural Explorer class features.

Notes: Gain proficiency in the Stealth skill.

Ranger 2: You gain the Fighting Style [Archery] and Spellcasting class features.

Ranger Spells (2)

1st Level: Hunter’s Mark (PHB), Zephyr Strike (XGtE)

Ranger 3: You gain the Ranger Archetype [Monster Slayer], Monster Slayer Magic, Hunter’s Sense, and Slayer’s Prey class features.

Ranger Spells (3) [ * Monster Slayer Spells ]

1st Level: Absorb Elements (XGtE), Hunter’s Mark (PHB), Protection from Evil and Good* (PHB), Zephyr Strike (XGtE)

Take 3 Levels of Blood Hunter

Blood Hunter 6: You gain the Blood Maledict [2/rest] class feature.

Blood Curses: Marked, plus any one other

Blood Hunter 7: You gain the Order Feature [Advanced Mutant Craft] class feature.

Mutagens: Nighteye, plus any three others

Blood Hunter 8: You receive an Ability Score Improvement/Feat Choice [ Strength +2 ].

Notes: Strength is now 20.

Take 3 Levels of Barbarian -OR- Take 3 Levels of Rogue

Go Barbarian for a more martial-style Monster Hunter such as Geralt of Rivia from The Witcher video game series and upcoming Netflix series; -OR- go Rogue for a more intellect-based Monster Hunter such as Abraham Van Helsing from the novel Dracula.
Barbarian 1: You gain the Rage and Unarmored Defense class features.

Rages: 2
Additional Rage Damage: +2

Barbarian 2: You gain the Reckless Attack and Danger Sense class features.

Rages: 2

Barbarian 3: You gain the Primal Path [Path of the Totem], Spirit Seeker, and Totem Spirit [Bear] class features.

Rages: 3

-OR-

Rogue 1: You gain the Expertise , Sneak Attack, and Thieves’ Cant class features.

Sneak Attack Damage: 1d6
Notes: You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Rogue 2: You gain the Cunning Action class feature.

Sneak Attack Damage: 1d6

Rogue 3: You gain the Roguish Archetype , Ear for Deceit, Eye for Detail, and Insightful Fighting class features.

Sneak Attack Damage: 2d6

[I]Take 4 Levels of Blood Hunter

Blood Hunter 9: You gain the Grim Psychometry class feature.

Blood Curses: Marked, plus any two others

Blood Hunter 10: You gain the Dark Velocity class features.

Blood Hunter 11: You gain the Order Feature [Strange Metabolism] and Blood Maledict [3/rest] class features.

Crimson Rite Damage Die: 1d8
Mutagens: Nighteye, plus any four others

Blood Hunter 12: You receive an Ability Score Improvement/Feat Choice [ Constitution +2 ].

Crimson Rite Damage Die: 1d8
Mutagens: Nighteye, plus any four others
Notes: Constitution is now 16.

As a Level 20 Character you will have:

10 + 16d10 + 3d12 + 40 HP (167 total on average)
Final Stats of STR 20, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 9, WIS 14, CHA 8 without magic items
Five skill proficiencies if you go Barbarian at character levels 14 - 16; -OR- six skill proficiencies including two with Expertise (Insight and Perception), doubling your proficiency bonus with those two skills if you go Rogue at character levels 14 - 16.
Proficiency on Strength, Wisdom, and Constitution saving throws.
Three Fighting Styles via the Blood Hunter, Fighter, and Ranger classes.
Access to 1st-level Ranger spells and 1st-level spell slots via the Ranger class.
Advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track Fey, Fiends, and Undead and on Intelligence checks to recall information about them via the Hunter’s Bane Blood Hunter class feature.
Advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track one single type of creature (or two races of Humanoids) and on Intelligence checks to recall information about them via the Ranger’s Favored Enemy class feature.
Access to all three Primal Rites via the Crimson Rite Blood Hunter class feature.
Access to three Blood Curses via the Blood Maledict Blood Hunter class feature.
Discern vague details about an object’s evil or wicked past via the Grim Psychometry Blood Hunter class feature.
Discern whether a creature you can see within 60 feet has any damage immunities, resistances, or vulnerabilities a number of times per long rest equal to your Wisdom modifier via the Ranger’s Hunter’s Sense class feature.
Designate a creature within 60 feet to take an extra 1d6 weapon damage as a bonus action once per short or long rest via the Ranger’s Slayer’s Prey class feature.
Double the number of attacks you can perform per round once per short or long rest via the Fighter’s Action Surge class feature.
Two attacks per round, with potentially four attacks in a single round once per short or long rest with the Fighter’s Action Surge class feature.
If you go Barbarian at character levels 14 - 16 ...

Rage three times per long rest, inflicting an addition 2 points of damage while raging.
Resistance to all damage except psychic damage.
Ability to gain Advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength every round.
Advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells.
The ability to cast the beast sense and speak with animals spells (but only as rituals).

If you go Rogue at character levels 14 - 16 ...

Sneak Attack damage of 2d6.
Take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.
Treat a roll of 7 or lower on the d20 as an 8 whenever you make a Wisdom (Insight) check to determine whether a creature is lying.
Use a bonus action to make a Wisdom (Perception) check to spot a hidden creature or object or to make an Intelligence (Investigation) check to uncover or decipher clues.
Potentially use your Sneak Attack ability against a creature you can see that isn’t incapacitated if you succeed on a Wisdom (Insight) check.

Equipment Wish List By Level 20

If you go Barbarian at character levels 14 - 16 ...

+3 Greatsword -OR- other +3 two-handed or Versatile weapon of your choice

If you go Rogue at character levels 14 - 16 ...

A pair of +3 finesse weapons of your choice

+3 medium armor [I]that does not impose Disadvantage on Stealth checks
Ring of Protection (Requires Attunement)
Cloak of Protection (Requires Attunement)
Amulet of Health (Requires Attunement)
Manual of Gainful Exercise

Arrow [or Bolt] of Slaying [Get one or more that fits your Favored Enemy or Hunter’s Bane creature types.]
Belt of Giant Strength (any; Requires Attunement) [More damage? Yes, please!]
Dimensional Shackles [To restrain monsters; better than Iron Bands of Bilarro.]
Ioun Stone of Protection -OR- Ioun Stone of Mastery (Requires Attunement)
Quiver of Ehlonna [I always like getting these for rangers or ranged-weapon builds.]
Wand of Enemy Detection [Detect those monsters you can’t see otherwise.]

Variants/Notes

Instead of taking the Order of the Mutant Blood Hunter Order, you could take the Order of the Profane Soul if you want more spellcasting instead of being a more martial build.
Because this build is MAD (Multi-Attribute Dependent), if you can roll 13+ for at least five of your Ability Scores, instead of taking Barbarian or Rogue at character levels 14 - 16, consider taking Paladin and choosing the Oath of Vengeance Sacred Oath. Not only would you get a fourth Fighting Style (overkill), but the access to Divine Sense, Divine Smite, and Oath of Vengeance’s Vow of Enmity goes quite well with the Monster Hunter build.
If you choose Barbarian at character levels 14 - 16 ...

You could choose Path of the Berserker instead of Path of the Totem to gain an additional attack every round, but you gain a level of Exhaustion after raging.
You could choose Path of the Zealot instead of Path of the Totem for added Radiant damage as it would certainly be useful against a wide variety of monsters, plus being resurrected without material components is quite useful.

Another option at character levels 14 - 16 instead of Barbarian or Rogue is the Monster Hunter Fighter Archetype from Unearthed Arcana #14 - Gothic Characters. You could take three more levels and gain a skill or tool proficiency, a subset of Combat Maneuvers from the Battle Master archetype directed specifically at hunting and killing monsters, and the ability to cast a few spells once per long rest.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-15, 12:05 PM
I think starting Bloodhunter with a Con of 12 is going to make low levels very difficult. I know you bump it later, but honestly that's a pretty tough sell. You don't seem to be doing much with that 11 in Int so unless it's there for thematic reasons I'd pump those points into Con and leave Int at 8.

You also mention Sneak Attack Damage, but that can only applies to Ranged or Finesse weapons, so if you are using a Greatsword or other 2-Hander you won't get to use sneak Attack.

You mention Berserker as an alternative for Bear Totem, but why not Zealot? It's Radiant damage would certainly be useful against a wide variety of monsters, and shuts down a Vampires regeneration. Plus being resurrected without material components is quite useful.

Also if you are using non-official material like the Bloodhunter, did you consider Unearthed Arcana? It had a Monster Hunter fighter that gets some pretty neat bonuses: https://media.dnd.wizards.com/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

Lastly there is not much point in getting Dueling and and Great Weapon Fighting fighting styles. If going with Two Handers, consider picking up Defense or Mariner style instead of Dueling.

Edit: I hope my post doesn't come across as to negative, your idea has a lot going for it. It has a lot of versatility and many ways to fight and track various monsters.

raineym
2019-08-16, 02:24 PM
Edit: I hope my post doesn't come across as to negative, your idea has a lot going for it. It has a lot of versatility and many ways to fight and track various monsters.

Negative? Not at all. It's what help make builds better. I welcome the critiques/criticisms.

I think starting Bloodhunter with a Con of 12 is going to make low levels very difficult. I know you bump it later, but honestly that's a pretty tough sell. You don't seem to be doing much with that 11 in Int so unless it's there for thematic reasons I'd pump those points into Con and leave Int at 8.

I wanted to try to have it where you kinda felt like the Intelligence-based hunters, like Dr. Van Helsing, and not have negative stat bonuses starting off with its starting Int-based skills. On second thought, the 12 Con does seem a bit low for this build, quite honestly. Which, BTW, has led me to an omission in my build.

You also mention Sneak Attack Damage, but that can only applies to Ranged or Finesse weapons, so if you are using a Greatsword or other 2-Hander you won't get to use sneak Attack.

The sneak attack only comes into play if you choose those 3 levels of Rogue at character levels 14 - 16. I may have to make a note to that in the build of how to build accordingly if you go that route.

You mention Berserker as an alternative for Bear Totem, but why not Zealot? It's Radiant damage would certainly be useful against a wide variety of monsters, and shuts down a Vampires regeneration. Plus being resurrected without material components is quite useful.

I had totally forgotten about Zealot. I will add that alternate path as well.

Also if you are using non-official material like the Bloodhunter, did you consider Unearthed Arcana? It had a Monster Hunter fighter that gets some pretty neat bonuses.

I had looked at that and decided that the Blood Hunter class itself felt more in line with trying to replicate famous monster hunter archetypes than the Monster Hunter fighter archetype in the UA article, and dipping into the class just didn't feel right.

Lastly there is not much point in getting Dueling and and Great Weapon Fighting fighting styles. If going with Two Handers, consider picking up Defense or Mariner style instead of Dueling.

That's an oversight on my part. That should have been Defense instead of Dueling. Changed.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-16, 02:47 PM
Solid. Funnily enough I'm playing a Zealot 5/Ranger 1 with that exact Stat spread.

raineym
2019-08-16, 03:49 PM
This is my character in an online game. Right now he's Blood Hunter 5 / Fighter 1. It really wasn't that tough with a 12 Con. I plan on going the Rogue (Inquisitive) route. I had went Two-Weapon Fighting but hadn't noted it in the build.