PDA

View Full Version : Class change, Druid

stormsouldevil
2019-08-14, 08:31 PM
Hey guys-

my DM has asked me to change my pre existing character because we need something like a druid or Cleric after a huge table rift. I have given her a good transition but Im a bit at a loss on how to play her now.

She started out as a classic kind of adventurer or early archaeologist (been working this be interested, not interesting idea so my characters aren't standing around like wall flowers waiting for the game to interact with them.) and how my DM and I have done it is had her go through a metamorphosis (And as such we want to make her very insect themed). The explanation we have settled on is that nature magic is like arcane magic. Most have to be taught, but some (like sorcerers) have an inborn talent and hers have finally erupted.

I have 2 things. 1.) is Im not really sure how to play her now. This is a big shift and a major event so she cant just be the same. And 2.) Im not sure what circle is best for her. Moon Druid or Land (Forest)

Point: I know its kind of a **** move, but Im happy to oblige. The table rift was catastrophic.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-14, 08:39 PM
If she was an archeologist, perhaps she's now interested in exploring the true nature of her powers?

As for mechanics... of those two I'd think Land, but can I take a moment to pitch my Vermin Druid? It's one of the new subclasses in my Guide to Greatness, and is basically "Moon Druid but with bugs." It sounds perfect for you.

stormsouldevil
2019-08-14, 09:22 PM
You may indeed. :O

Mikaleus
2019-08-15, 02:09 AM
Perhaps she found an artefact of an god of an old primordial faith in one of the ruins / sites.
She could feel a pull towards it and when she touched it felt the exhilaration of primal magic- of storm, moon, fang and branch.
This could work for a cleric of the nature Domain and the artefact is an holy symbol of the god/goddess.
If a variant human perhaps magic initiate Druid as a representation of your inherit affinity for nature magic.

For a Druid perhaps it’s merely a token / or within it a Druidic focus lies, calling to you.

As for which circle, of you want to combat in beastform moon is the way to go. If you’re wanting to hang back and control and cast go for Forest instead.

stormsouldevil
2019-08-15, 03:29 AM
Good ideas but already finished the transition.

Im thinking that land/forest makes the most sense

MagneticKitty
2019-08-15, 10:05 AM
Spores could be flavored as being insect based. Instead of spores, you're like shino. Bugs live in you and pour out of all your pores when you activate your halo of insects

Nagog
2019-08-15, 10:32 AM
For narrative purposes, I'd look into the Moon Knight comics. Similar vibe, (Marc Specter is an archaeologist who dies in Egypt at the base of a statue of Konshu, the god of the moon and protector of travelers. Konshu revives him as his avatar/servant of sorts, Specter trying to figure out his new abilities/relationship with Konshu/revival etc.). Also it's just a generally good read.

Keravath
2019-08-15, 01:39 PM
It may be too late for these suggestions ... however just in case ...

1) If the character is interested in magic and archeology then you could go with an Arcana cleric with the archaeologist background and if you want an extra nature element then start as a variant human taking the Magic Initiate Druid feat for shillelagh, thorn whip and a first level spell.

2) If the character wants to be more nature focused then nature cleric is a good fit. The channel divinity works well with beasts and plants and the other cleric features are also quite nature focused.

3) Druid or ranger might also be options for a more nature focused character. You could go shepherd druid and perhaps get the DM to refluff your summoned creatures in insect forms. Moon druid might let you change into re-fluffed insect shapes.

All the choices will require the DM to refluff various elements to work with the insect theme since wild shapes/summons/specific character features related to insects are quite rare. Most of the insect aspects are roleplaying so they can work with any of the character concepts.

stormsouldevil
2019-08-15, 11:13 PM
Oh! there seems to have been a misunderstanding.

The character already existed as a ranger for 5 levels. She cocooned and has emerged changed as a druid. Dm has already said he is cool with me reflavoring things to be more insecty so that's not a problem as long as Im not adding weird things (For example I could turn into a beetle the size of a bear and reflavor the bear attacks but I cant like add poison or something.

stormsouldevil
2019-08-16, 04:32 PM
single boop to refresh the thread.

Vogie
2019-08-17, 02:11 PM
Strange suggestion - do a reversion multiclass.

Ranger goes into a cocoon, and when they come out, you're: Primeval Guardian Ranger 4 / Forest Druid 2(+).

Primeval Guardian normally turns the player into a tree... but you're insect-themed, you'd just get more insect-y. Your bonus piercing damage and Temporary hit points are due to the pincers and exoskeleton of a massive beetle (Or whatever you are looking to be).

Then, 4 levels of a half caster still gives you 2 levels of a full caster, so you won't be to terribly behind as a caster, with 2nd level spells, and then you'll keep following the Forest Druid route, getting 3rd level spells next level, and getting more and more raw nature power as you continue to level.

bobofwestgate
2019-08-21, 10:59 AM
Hey guys-

my DM has asked me to change my pre existing character because we need something like a druid or Cleric after a huge table rift. I have given her a good transition but Im a bit at a loss on how to play her now.

She started out as a classic kind of adventurer or early archaeologist (been working this be interested, not interesting idea so my characters aren't standing around like wall flowers waiting for the game to interact with them.) and how my DM and I have done it is had her go through a metamorphosis (And as such we want to make her very insect themed). The explanation we have settled on is that nature magic is like arcane magic. Most have to be taught, but some (like sorcerers) have an inborn talent and hers have finally erupted.

I have 2 things. 1.) is Im not really sure how to play her now. This is a big shift and a major event so she cant just be the same. And 2.) Im not sure what circle is best for her. Moon Druid or Land (Forest)

Point: I know its kind of a **** move, but Im happy to oblige. The table rift was catastrophic.

If she's an archaeologist, she might spend a lot of time underground exploring old tombs and crypts. There is a underdark circle in a UA or something that might fit