PDA

View Full Version : Can the spell power High Arcana from ArchMage be used to make magic items?

Mercurial891
2019-08-14, 10:00 PM
I am wondering if Arch Mage is the way to go with Epic Casters, because I wanted one that could make Epic Items. Does the Spell Power arcana allow you to make magic items above your normal caster level, or is it just for actually casting spells?

RNightstalker
2019-08-14, 10:03 PM
Making magic items require feats, not spell power. Epic Items require epic feats.

Mercurial891
2019-08-14, 10:17 PM
They also require minimum caster levels. So if you want your ring of epic wizardry early, Arch Mage might be the way to go.

RNightstalker
2019-08-14, 10:20 PM
You gotta keep reading the entry: "...only affects damage dice, range, and caster level checks"-loosely quoted. I wouldn't rule caster level checks applying to item creation.

Are you implying that you can make your ring of Epic Wizardry before level 21? You may have the prerequisite caster level, but you still need the epic feat. Maybe I'm missing something.

Mercurial891
2019-08-14, 10:26 PM
Are you implying that you can make your ring of Epic Wizardry before level 21? You may have the prerequisite caster level, but you still need the epic feat. Maybe I'm missing something.

The higher your caster level, the better the ring you can make. After hitting the mins for Epic Ring creation, you still want a better caster level.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-14, 11:29 PM
A long enough duration caster level boost could do it, such as from an ioun stone, but archmage specifies its caster level boost is for determining spell effects only so will not work for making stronger items (EX: a wizard 15/archmage 3 with spell power twice could not make an item with CL of 20.)

Malphegor
2019-08-15, 06:02 AM
That said, would a runesmith/archmage benefit from that? Since I believe inscribe rune-based magic items involve the spell as the spell is cast, and runesmiths can make them permament objects inc. the higher CL?

I need to reread both archmages and runesmiths maybe.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-15, 01:02 PM
Basic rune spells are just normal spells that swap a somatic component for a material, so that is fine.

Permanent rune is a little more confusing but my best guess is that if would work.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-15, 03:16 PM
You gotta keep reading the entry: "...only affects damage dice, range, and caster level checks"-loosely quoted. I wouldn't rule caster level checks applying to item creation.

Are you implying that you can make your ring of Epic Wizardry before level 21? You may have the prerequisite caster level, but you still need the epic feat. Maybe I'm missing something.There are ways to get epic feats before level 21, even without being an Old+ true dragon.

Get a bard friend who can give you two bonus HD. If you're level 19 or 20, this would give you a (temporary) epic bonus feat at 21 HD. Make sure said bard is a warforged so it can keep playing for long enough for you to actually craft something that expensive, since it'll take awhile.

Contract lycanthropy. Use those bonus HD to gain epic feats and craft, craft, craft. Just make sure you cure yourself before the next full moon.

Easier than contracting regular lycanthropy, cast curse of lycanthropy (the cool one, not the one that creates sapient creatures out of thin air blood). Use those animal HD as above, then just dispel it once you're done.

I'm sure there are more. Shapechange into a barghest or a sun giant, maybe? Then devour yourself some souls.

Mercurial891
2019-08-19, 12:42 AM
Good ideas, but I’m trying to find a way to boost my caster level so I can craft a high level ring of epic wizardry.