PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3rd party class, broken?

Chalkarts
2019-08-15, 08:45 AM
I found this class which basically lets your character be Beast Boy.

https://www.5esrd.com/classes/3rd-party-publisher-classes/en-publishing/morph/

I think it would be amazing fun to play, but I can't decide if it's OP or not.

Opinions?

Teaguethebean
2019-08-15, 09:27 AM
I read for 30 seconds and sporred the saving throws, DeX and Con. This immediately breaks the rule of one common save and one uncommon save so I already don't have high hopes.

Edit finished reading it and yeah it seems over powered by quite a bit especially how at lv2 you could turn into a pixie and cast Polymorph or a spectre and phase through walls. It is just a ridiculous class at lv2 you could have effectively withal 14 con 10+7+(22×2)+(22×2) so you could soak up 105 damage at level 2 over the course of 2 rounds.

Waazraath
2019-08-15, 09:42 AM
I read for 30 seconds and sporred the saving throws, DeX and Con. This immediately breaks the rule of one common save and one uncommon save so I already don't have high hopesn

+1. Did a quick scan, seems interesting, is a concept that would fit very well in the game (and it's a shame that 5e doesn't have an official 'master of many forms' in one way or another) - but this class needs some tweaking. The saves are an issue, I'd say skills as well: I really can't find any justification in the concept of the class for 3 skills known (except that it's better than 2). Maybe only for the trickster 'subclass'?. Talents seem borrowed from the invocation mechanic? If yes, that's fine, it's good when features are a bit comparable.

So: nice idea, but it does need more work/tweaking afaic. Maybe make 2 or 3 subclasses, which they don't really seem to have atm, switch one saving throw... my main concern would be in the ability to change form into any dragon or elemental from certain levels; you'd really need to check all the appropriate forms if none of them have weird, level unappropriate stuff.

Rerem115
2019-08-15, 10:33 AM
It does say less than 1 for Tiny Changeling, not less than or equal, so it would technically disqualify both the pixie and spectre. But, I'd have to re-examine all the CR <1 creatures to rate for certain.

Xihirli
2019-08-15, 10:54 AM
Pixies are CR 1/4

Skylivedk
2019-08-15, 12:14 PM
I read for 30 seconds and sporred the saving throws, DeX and Con. This immediately breaks the rule of one common save and one uncommon save so I already don't have high hopes.

Edit finished reading it and yeah it seems over powered by quite a bit especially how at lv2 you could turn into a pixie and cast Polymorph or a spectre and phase through walls. It is just a ridiculous class at lv2 you could have effectively withal 14 con 10+7+(22×2)+(22×2) so you could soak up 105 damage at level 2 over the course of 2 rounds.

Pixies are CR 1/4

Honestly, that's mostly a Pixie problem. Just like it is with Conjure Woodland Beings.

IMO it was a bad idea to give Brown Bear to Moon Druids at level 2. Morphs get at level 1 and an upgrade at level 2. Very bad idea. Especially when coupled with: Earth. Resistance to non-magical piercing and slashing damage.

At least they're not full casters on top.

I'd gate multiattack until level 5 and then it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Shapeshifting is hard to keep track of though; it's in reality not one but X amount of features with each feature equalling a shape (drawing from the same resource pool though).

jaappleton
2019-08-15, 12:17 PM
Immediately stop reading if its from dndwiki, 5eSRD, etc.

Just..... Legitimately not worth reading.

Hobbo Jim
2019-08-15, 01:04 PM
Immediately stop reading if its from dndwiki, 5eSRD, etc.
Just..... Legitimately not worth reading.
This just isn't really a productive comment. Plus, clearly it was worth reading since it made him excited and SRD can have cool ideas. Might not be the place to go for balance, but that's why he's here.

That said, your comment isn't hurt by the fact that this seems very strong. First thing you need to worry about is cheese, as with the pixie. That could probably be fixed by level locking it like 9+ or something. Really I guess the main thing that this class doesn't balance at all is just how much health/equivalent health (from resistance) it can rack up, and being able to do it unlimited at 20 is insane (though I know most don't get there).

Aside from that and what others have said with things like saving throws and skills, giving a non-caster 9th level spells is something that I don't think really happens. True polymorph sorta makes sense, but shapechange would make more sense if you really want to, plus it should be separate if it's like warlock invocations. Roar of Life (primordial beast) doesn't make any sense to me, thematically or balance wise. Shifter's Surprise (Doppleganger) is just a super assassinate which is already a controversial ability, and seems to needlessly complicate the class. Meanwhile trickster's 17th ability seems weak and again has nothing to do with shapeshifting.

Overall, this class seems like it would be extremely easy to cheese something. Without cheese, or with some changes to prevent cheese, I think it could be playable with just a bit of tweaking.

Rerem115
2019-08-15, 01:14 PM
Pixies are CR 1/4

My bad. I knew pixies were dumb, but not THAT dumb :smalltongue:.

jaappleton
2019-08-15, 01:20 PM
This just isn't really a productive comment. Plus, clearly it was worth reading since it made him excited and SRD can have cool ideas. Might not be the place to go for balance, but that's why he's here.

That said, your comment isn't hurt by the fact that this seems very strong. First thing you need to worry about is cheese, as with the pixie. That could probably be fixed by level locking it like 9+ or something. Really I guess the main thing that this class doesn't balance at all is just how much health/equivalent health (from resistance) it can rack up, and being able to do it unlimited at 20 is insane (though I know most don't get there).

Aside from that and what others have said with things like saving throws and skills, giving a non-caster 9th level spells is something that I don't think really happens. True polymorph sorta makes sense, but shapechange would make more sense if you really want to, plus it should be separate if it's like warlock invocations. Roar of Life (primordial beast) doesn't make any sense to me, thematically or balance wise. Shifter's Surprise (Doppleganger) is just a super assassinate which is already a controversial ability, and seems to needlessly complicate the class. Meanwhile trickster's 17th ability seems weak and again has nothing to do with shapeshifting.

Overall, this class seems like it would be extremely easy to cheese something. Without cheese, or with some changes to prevent cheese, I think it could be playable with just a bit of tweaking.

You're right in that I should've clarified that if you want anything of mechanical use, don't read anything from there because its bogus.

For fluff or inspiration? Totally. Get inspiration from whatever works for you. Whatever excites you. Heck, I'm working right this very moment on a warforged with a beehive living in it. It cries honey. Yeah, I stole the idea, but its awesome and now I'm figuring out what works best to make it happen mechanically.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-15, 02:50 PM
Try this version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?585774-The-Wildling-(Shapeshifting-Base-Class)) instead. Should be better balanced.