PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Ducks - who else uses them?

SeñorSockpuppet
2019-08-15, 08:54 AM
Who else uses the lovely, quintessential Quietscheentchen as soul-soothing 'extra' when taking a bath?

As a proud, cultured german, I do.

For all uncultured barbarians out there, I recommend you to read/watch the sketch "Herren im Bad" by Loriot.

sleepy hedgehog
2019-08-15, 09:11 AM
I forgot what the original purpose of those ducks were.

I have one at work, for rubber duck debugging.
But not in my bath.

darkrose50
2019-08-15, 09:14 AM
My oldest learned to talk rather quickly. The doctor asked us if she could say two word sentences. An example sentence was "Mommy, I am having fun playing with my ducky in the bathtub."

SeñorSockpuppet
2019-08-15, 01:08 PM
My oldest learned to talk rather quickly. The doctor asked us if she could say two word sentences. An example sentence was "Mommy, I am having fun playing with my ducky in the bathtub."

Quite obviously, your daughter is destined for greatness.

darkrose50
2019-08-15, 02:51 PM
Quite obviously, your daughter is destined for greatness.

I hope so. She has the willpower of a 1,000 burning suns. It is hard to look straight at her and not go blind. I would like to take credit for that, but this is likely from her mother. Although I used to tell her a lot that trying hard is more important than being smart. I would certainly trade some smarts for some willpower.

She would fight tooth and nail over something like what color socks she was wearing to preschool. She would fight with every last breath. Every day. Over things like the color of her socks. Some kids have a higher difficulty than others. I hope this willpower and fighting spirit serves her well.

JeenLeen
2019-08-15, 02:56 PM
James Veitch has used them well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5d8pVg3Qtg

We have some at our house for the kids to play with. My youngest had a month or two when she was really obsessed with them, but she still likes them. I am sometimes inclined to buy a couple hundred and try to do something cool with them, but the cost and mess doesn't seem worth it.

Traab
2019-08-15, 03:18 PM
I used toy boats by preference. Might have had a duck when I was really young but I more remember whiling away the time in a bath tub creating "storms" to sink my boats. Alas, we got rid of the tub when my grandma moved in as she needed a walk in shower.

Strigon
2019-08-15, 04:59 PM

That's a good question; what, exactly, is the function of a rubber duck?

Scarlet Knight
2019-08-16, 10:35 AM
Fun.
:smallwink:

Willie the Duck
2019-08-16, 10:56 AM

No comment.

Mith
2019-08-16, 04:32 PM

A great bard once told me that they were the ones who made bath time so much fun.

Scarlet Knight
2019-08-16, 04:44 PM

To prevent...oh, wait. You said rubber DUCK?

giriraj98542
2019-08-19, 08:13 AM

Imbalance
2019-08-19, 08:25 AM
More chewy, not as tasty as regular duck.

Artemis97
2019-08-21, 03:57 AM
My hometown back in Florida has a Great Rubber Duck Derby on the river every year. I've never been to the actual ceremony, but a rubber duck hangs outside some of the city buildings advertising this. I think you buy a rubber duck to sponsor and see which one makes it down the river first.

I've always had rubber ducks in my baths, although now that I'm a lot bigger, there's rarely room for them now. Recently procured a pharaoh style duck from an Egyptian exhibit at a museum. Should put him in the bathroom. Need to send his buddy to my old college roommate too. She used to collect them.

CheesePirate
2019-08-21, 11:34 AM
I would, but I don't have a bathtub :(

I do have a flamingo in the shower, though.

snowblizz
2019-08-22, 03:25 AM
I do have a flamingo in the shower, though.

Have you tried calling pest/animal control?

Samwich
2019-08-23, 06:38 PM
I have a rubber duck that I keep with me at college. I refer to him as my evil henchman, named "Doctor Duckenshmirtz," and he advises me on how to properly learn evil science.

LordEntrails
2019-08-24, 06:29 PM
James Veitch has used them well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5d8pVg3Qtg
I was going to link this. If anyone hasn't watched this, go watch, if it doesn't put a smile on your face you are ... just, well, I don't know!

nedz
2019-10-05, 04:30 PM
I had a rubber penguin when I was a kid, never a duck.

Magic_Hat
2019-10-14, 06:37 AM
Who else uses the lovely, quintessential Quietscheentchen as soul-soothing 'extra' when taking a bath?

As a proud, cultured german, I do.

For all uncultured barbarians out there, I recommend you to read/watch the sketch "Herren im Bad" by Loriot.

Are you secretly Bert and/or Ernie?

PhyrexianShovel
2019-10-14, 12:12 PM
I have a rubber duck that I keep with me at college. I refer to him as my evil henchman, named "Doctor Duckenshmirtz," and he advises me on how to properly learn evil science.

No, it should be Ducktor Duckenshmirtz :smallwink:.

I'll sometimes use a rubber duck in place of a stress ball, but I rarely take baths.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-16, 08:20 PM
Do people still use rubber ducks these days? I thought that rubber ducks were extinct. :biggrin:

Dire Moose
2019-10-19, 03:52 PM
I have 1000 of them with 3000 more on the way. Soon the army will be big enough to conquer the world. MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Devils_Advocate
2019-10-28, 01:49 PM
"I work at a startup and part of the onboarding package you get when you first start working here now includes a rubber duck. We also have a bigger version of the duck for the extra hard problems. Sometimes one duck doesn’t cut it and you need to borrow your neighbors to get more ducks on the problem. One time we couldn’t figure out why something wasn’t working right so we assembled the counsel of ducks and by the grace of the Duck Gods were we able to finally come to a solution. These ducks have saved many lives and should be respected for the heroes they are."
- https://cosrnos.tumblr.com/post/106796010239/lifeofdavo-kierenwalkerpds

Velaryon
2019-11-29, 06:34 PM
I'm just a little too tall to sit comfortably in most bathtubs, so I generally shower instead. And so I have no use for a rubber duck.

VoidsHeiress
2019-11-30, 06:09 PM
we have a cross between a rubber duck and snail over here, among other rubber ducks.. strangely what lacks though is a bathtub.

mrgrtt123
2019-12-01, 10:47 PM
My daughter has two rubber duckies at home, she uses it when taking a bath alongside with her other rubber toys.
There was this chicken which uses to annoy my Persians at home. The moment she squeezes it Champagne and Tequila will immediately look for the weather proof cat door (https://www.petstreetmall.com/Cat-Doors/) as it seems like it scares them.

thompur
2019-12-05, 01:21 PM
https://youtu.be/cDy4PZPMDwU

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2019-12-14, 08:01 AM
Proper use of Rubber ducks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5d8pVg3Qtg

Shhalahr Windrider
2019-12-15, 11:27 AM

But not in my bath.

Just one? I have a whole team. Plus a rubber turtle.