PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dungeons and Cakewrecks

Leewei
2019-08-15, 10:27 AM
For my daughter's birthday this weekend, she asked that I run a D&D game for her and a few friends. I've had a little bit of inspiration on this - I plan to make the cake into the dungeon.

The plan is to make a large but shallow vanilla cake in a brownie tray (maybe on some wax paper). The cake will be flipped onto a flat piece of plywood. From there, I will carve out passages and rooms. These will then be walled and floored with fondant, then roofed over with graham crackers.
The entire thing will then be frosted over with the typical Happy Birthday message on the top.

The side of the cake will have a fondant demon head with gaping mouth, reminiscent of the iconic one from the classic T1 module. Speaking of which, the entry will be flanked by large letters reading "Tomb of Hor-(entry here)-riffic Confections"

The game will use the Five Room Dungeon format for adventure. Players will all have pre-generated characters. I'm thinking level 5 will be ideal.

The mouth leads to a corridor choked with graham cracker and cake bits. A sign nearby reads "Please excuse the mess!
The main entrance is currently out of order due to cake-in. Adventurers can access the dungeon through the service entrance."

When players search for this, or if they scout outside prior to going in, they'll come across a small group of imps munching on brimstone. The imps are rude but chatty. They can be defeated in combat, or else threatened or bribed into giving up the service entrance. The clue is on a card (every imp has one).

"Those who seek the servant's way,
Search 'neath sigil on display,
Which shows the speech that serpents say."

The answer, of course, is the "s" in "Confections", which covers a secret door. That's right, a secret door literally marked with an "s". :smallamused:
The corridor leads to a room with a swarm of vicious gummy bears, statted out like zombies. (Zumby Bears, maybe?) The fight will be fast and relatively easy. Once clear, the PCs may quickly notice that the walls of the room have inscriptions on them in various languages.

Feed me, feed me, growing high!
Give me water, watch me die.
Fire

Fairy lace lies on the ground,
Once kissed by sun, no longer found.
Frost

I blink, you wink, or blind will be,
I pounce from high and smite the tree,
No whisper made, til' count of three,
Then roar that makes the dragon flee.
Lightning
So, here's where the riddles above come into play.
The next room contains three giant, animated fondant frogs made with cinnamon, mint, and pop rocks. Players can either fight them, or else simply say the riddle answers in the right language to deactivate them.
The final confrontation lies with the mad wizard himself, and with his great minion summoned from the para-elemental plane of caramel. (A Caramel Para-Elemental? Caramelemental?
Eh, we'll just call it Carl. An earth elemental-looking thing sculpted from tootsie rolls.)

The hitch is Carl is hungry and immediately grabs and eats the hapless wizard before turning on the PCs. Epic battle ensues, followed by the spoils.
Cake and candy!

The whole shebang should last no longer than 90 minutes, so I'm keeping it pretty short. I'm looking for advice on encounter design, refinements, and (er) flavor. Thanks!

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-15, 11:03 AM
This is the best thing I've read in my life.

Love the riddles, definitely not too difficult which is something that happens to a lot of DMs. I hope you have fun! You got it all, engaging terrain, boss fight, unexpected event, optional ways to bypass combat. The only thing not there is some role-playing, but I'm glad you decided to keep that aspect of the game unrepresented. Your players are here to have fun, action and adventures as themselves, not to start an improv-group with fictional characters. Hopefully you'll get someone hooked and they'll find their own group. That's always my favorite thing to happen when I play with new players.

Can I ask what age the players are?

firelistener
2019-08-15, 11:11 AM
I was skeptical about the cake, but that all sounds amazing. Really like the riddles, but I doubt the players will get the answers and say it to the frogs unless it's more obviously connected somehow. Maybe say there's a picture of a frog above each riddle?

Leewei
2019-08-15, 05:34 PM
The frogs will use an elemental attack that matches their answer.

Leewei
2019-08-15, 05:35 PM
This is the best thing I've read in my life.

Love the riddles, definitely not too difficult which is something that happens to a lot of DMs. I hope you have fun! You got it all, engaging terrain, boss fight, unexpected event, optional ways to bypass combat. The only thing not there is some role-playing, but I'm glad you decided to keep that aspect of the game unrepresented. Your players are here to have fun, action and adventures as themselves, not to start an improv-group with fictional characters. Hopefully you'll get someone hooked and they'll find their own group. That's always my favorite thing to happen when I play with new players.

Can I ask what age the players are?

Thank you! Players are 11-12 years old.

firelistener
2019-08-15, 11:22 PM
The frogs will use an elemental attack that matches their answer.

Ah, that makes sense and explains why they'll be made out of those specific foods. I think they'll be able to get at least the fire or lightning riddle, and if they get one then there's a good chance they get the others. You know best for sure though.

It sounds like an awesome birthday (and fun dungeon) to me. I hope everyone has a blast.

Leewei
2019-08-15, 11:38 PM
Ah, that makes sense and explains why they'll be made out of those specific foods. I think they'll be able to get at least the fire or lightning riddle, and if they get one then there's a good chance they get the others. You know best for sure though.

It sounds like an awesome birthday (and fun dungeon) to me. I hope everyone has a blast.

Thank you!