PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [3.5] Metamagic Feat

Thurbane
2019-08-15, 07:11 PM
So, if I was to homebrew a metamagic feat that allowed spells that specifically only affect humanoids to also affect medium or smaller fey, monstrous humanoids, and giants - how much of an increase to spell level would be called for?

The idea is to let spells like Enlarge Person, Charm Person etc. work on other "humanoid-like" creatures.

I'd liken it to Song of the Dead, which allows mind-affecting spells to affect intelligent undead: that comes in at +1.

On the other hand, Charm Person is level 1, whereas Charm Monster is level 4 (or 3 for Bards).

Also, would anyone have a catchy name for the feat?

Cheers - T

Sereg
2019-08-15, 11:08 PM
Xenotic spell. From xeno for other and Zoonosis for diseases that affect both humans and other animals.

Maybe+2 for spell level?

Thurbane
2019-08-16, 05:22 PM
Xenotic spell. From xeno for other and Zoonosis for diseases that affect both humans and other animals.

Maybe+2 for spell level?

Love the name, thanks.

+2 seems fair.

rferries
2019-08-16, 11:02 PM
Perhaps also "Nondiscriminating Spell"? :D

+2 seems too much - it's a relatively niche benefit and compare charm monster's much greater duration with that of charm person.

It may be necessary to rule for specific interactions e.g. a xenotic raise dead cast on constructs/undead/outsiders.

nonsi
2019-08-16, 11:47 PM
Perhaps also "Nondiscriminating Spell"? :D

+2 seems too much - it's a relatively niche benefit and compare charm monster's much greater duration with that of charm person.

It may be necessary to rule for specific interactions e.g. a xenotic raise dead cast on constructs/undead/outsiders.

It's not that niche.
Adding medium or smaller fey, monstrous humanoids, and giants significantly widens the scope of targets.
To justify that +2 SL increase, I'd make it Large or smaller fey.

Also, "Xenotic" seems more fitting than "Nondiscriminating", because "Xeno" usually refers to life forms from other worlds in our universe. Constructs and undead are not life forms and outsiders are not from our universe.

ben-zayb
2019-08-17, 01:58 AM
I'd likely scale it similar to how psionic Charm and Dominate did.

If you spend 2 additional power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
If you spend 4 additional power points, this power can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.Thus putting it at either +1 or +2 spell slot higher

Amechra
2019-08-17, 08:50 AM
I'd put it at +1 - it's roughly as powerful as Song of the Dead, after all (the wider range of targets is balanced out by the fact that it doesn't pierce immunity to mind affecting like Song of the Dead does).

Thurbane
2019-08-18, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I'm really torn between +1 and +2...

JNAProductions
2019-08-18, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I'm really torn between +1 and +2...

I'd err to +2. Casters are strong enough already.