PDA

View Full Version : Wizard for PotA

KnotaGuru
2019-08-15, 09:03 PM
I'm planning out my character for our next campaign. Our DM has decided to run Princes of the Apocalypse, non-AL so any material is allowed. We also roll for stats.

I like playing support-type characters, getting the party involved with tactical play, and decided to play a wizard. Other players are: water genasi tempest cleric, lizardfolk ranger, half-orc barb/fighter, and changeling bard.

I'm undecided between abjuration and divination schools. I haven't seen either of these schools in action. Any suggestions as to which school?

Reevh
2019-08-15, 09:22 PM
Personally I like Divination. The ability to guarantee an enemy doesn't make their save is priceless in critical moments.

bid
2019-08-15, 09:33 PM
Personally I like Divination. The ability to guarantee an enemy doesn't make their save is priceless in critical moments.
Indeed. With a DC of 13-5, half your portents will be low enough to guarantee a failed save. On a good day, both will be.

firelistener
2019-08-15, 11:30 PM
I think Divination is super cool. Portent is neat, and very helpful, but I like all the other stuff more. The ability to use higher level Divination spells and recover lower level spell slots is fantastic, and when coupled with Mind Spike lets a Diviner have a big supply of damage spells. I'm mostly partial to the trappings of it like True Sight though. I just find the concept of seeing into the Ethereal Plane and future really fun for role play.

Crystal ball and pointy hat are must-haves :smallbiggrin:

GreyBlack
2019-08-16, 09:08 AM
Halfling divination wizard. You just can't go wrong.

No, seriously. Their class abilities don't allow it.

Sirithhyando
2019-08-16, 11:27 AM
I'm playing PotA with a halfling divination wizard. It's my first wizard and first time i dont multiclass, so i'm definitly not the best example of it, but it's a lot of fun.

KnotaGuru
2019-08-16, 05:06 PM
Divination seems to be the consensus. Is 1 level in knowledge cleric or rogue worth it for armor and skills?

AHF
2019-08-16, 05:13 PM
Divination seems to be the consensus. Is 1 level in knowledge cleric or rogue worth it for armor and skills?

I think this is table dependent based on how your DM targets people in combat (AC), whether another healing word caster has real value, and how much value you get from skills. I’m doing a cleric 1 / diviner right now. Much heartier than straight wizard but the delay in spell progression is real (fortunately no impact on slots).