PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Fighter Opportunity Attack and Martial Powers

Imperial_Sun
2019-08-15, 09:07 PM
Just a quick question,

When a fighter uses an opportunity attack by rules can they use a superiority die to use one of their maneuvers? I tried to do a quick look up but could not find a hard answers. I am totally for it, since fighter guy is you know good a fighting. But I like knowing rules.

Thanks

Reevh
2019-08-15, 09:18 PM
There are certain maneuvers only usable on the player's turn, which state that. There are others that can be used as a reaction, which state that. Finally, there are others that just say when you hit with an attack. An opportunity attack is still an attack, so it should be usable there.

KRSW
2019-08-16, 01:21 PM
All of the maneuvers that start with "When you hit a creature with a weapon attack..." you can use when you hit with an opportunity attack. This is almost all of them. GWM + Precision Attack away with your OA all you want.

A few that you can't use:
Commander's Strike
Feinting Attack
Rally
Lunging Attack (When you make a weapon attack on YOUR turn...)

Things that use reactions so you can't OA and use same turn anyway:
Riposte
Parry

Tangential, but I would argue that you can use evasive footwork if your character is forced to move not on your turn via something like Dissonant Whispers.

Imperial_Sun
2019-08-19, 08:53 PM
All of the maneuvers that start with "When you hit a creature with a weapon attack..." you can use when you hit with an opportunity attack. This is almost all of them. GWM + Precision Attack away with your OA all you want.

A few that you can't use:
Commander's Strike
Feinting Attack
Rally
Lunging Attack (When you make a weapon attack on YOUR turn...)

Things that use reactions so you can't OA and use same turn anyway:
Riposte
Parry

Tangential, but I would argue that you can use evasive footwork if your character is forced to move not on your turn via something like Dissonant Whispers.

Thank you very much that clears up some confusion. Thanks again!

Chad.e.clark
2019-08-20, 06:00 AM

Dissonant Whispers uses up your reaction to force your movement, but evasive footwork only has the requirement of being used "when you move", so that should work. Pretty niche, but RAW as far as I can tell.