PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Nightmare Blade + Enlightened Fist (Hold Ray) = 4x Polar Ray Damage?

BlueWitch
2019-08-15, 10:12 PM
Weird title, I know, but basically:

In Tome of Battle, for the Swordsage, they can learn an attack called "Diamond Nightmare Blade"
Basically a melee attack that let's you deal 4x Damage for 1 attack. (Standard Action.)

Enlightened Fists have an ability called "Hold Ray" that lets you channel any Ray Spell you know, in your next Melee attack.

-----

So basically, if My Enlightened Fist/Swordsage Character has a Polar Ray "held" in his fist, then does the Diamond Nightmare Blade maneuver, will the Polar Ray deal 4x damage too?

We'd be looking at 100d6 Cold Damage + 4d4 Dexterity Damage!
Maximized is even worse!

Elves
2019-08-15, 10:24 PM
If your Concentration check succeeds, this attack deals four times your normal melee damage.

I don't think so.

Hold Ray also specifies the ray must be delivered by a touch attack or a "normal attack", so I'm not sure a strike is eligible in the first place unless it's a touch attack, much less DNB's subsitution of a Concentration check for an attack roll.

Saintheart
2019-08-15, 10:49 PM
I don't think so.

Hold Ray also specifies the ray must be delivered by a touch attack or a "normal attack", so I'm not sure a strike is eligible in the first place unless it's a touch attack, much less DNB's subsitution of a Concentration check for an attack roll.

Ordained Champion 3 might be able to do it, though. It feeds your spell right into your melee weapon which then discharges on "the next attack". Let's not forget that Spellwarp Sniper also rips out the Reflex save, too.

Troacctid
2019-08-15, 11:15 PM
Remember that you don't need enlightened fist to do this with touch range spells like shocking grasp. When you deliver a held touch spell through an unarmed strike, you add the unarmed strike damage and the spell damage together. So the unarmed strike would deal 4x damage and the shocking grasp would deal its normal 5d6. On a critical hit, only the unarmed strike damage would be multiplied.

Elves
2019-08-15, 11:49 PM
Ordained Champion 3 might be able to do it, though. It feeds your spell right into your melee weapon which then discharges on "the next attack". Let's not forget that Spellwarp Sniper also rips out the Reflex save, too.

Ordained Champion's Channel Spell can stack with a strike or with Arcane Fist, but DNB wouldn't multiply it.

BlueWitch
2019-08-16, 12:37 AM
I see, I see.
Thanks for answering everyone!

It's a bit of a bummer, but I understand why lol

Would have been sickeningly awesome though.....xD