PDA

View Full Version : Optimization UA Revised Ranger + Rogue (Level 7 start, level 10 end)

RealMarkP
2019-08-16, 10:13 AM
As the title says, what kind of optimisation can I get out of this build? I'll be going Wood Elf. I don't know what feats to grab just yet, but Elven Accuracy is something in the back of my mind. For Rogue, perhaps Assassin would be a decent subclass for the stealthy aspect, especially since the campaign will top out at level 10. I imagined a build where I could pop out of hiding, assassinate a foe at range, then use cunning action to hide once again. The problem would be getting advantage on a creature who is at range.

We will be playing in a world dominated by humanoids so the ranger's favoured enemy would be as such.

Any thoughts?

Bobthewizard
2019-08-16, 10:28 AM
I just made this character. I would take 5 levels of ranger to start. I'm taking gloomstalker for improved darkvision, and 1st round extra attack and movement. Hunter would work for horde breaker. Then after I get extra attack at level 5 I'll go Rogue all the way. I don't really like higher level assassin mechanics but flavor wise it's great.

You could start rogue for extra skills but then you delay your extra attack.

I think this multi class is well worth it. Extra attack, hunter's mark and the situational extra attack with either gloomstalker or hunter seems to offset the delayed sneak attack damage.

If you like ranger more, 3 levels of rogue would add some much need skills to the ranger too. In this case assassin might work well. Again, I'd wait until after ranger 5 but you could argue taking rogue earlier.

So starting at level 7 I'd start Ranger 5 and Rogue 2, with the extra skill by starting Rogue.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-08-16, 10:39 AM
I'd second the Gloomstalker for ranger. I've seen a multiclass ranger/rogue in action (on YouTube), and it's a pretty potent combination. That ranger uses Zephyr Strike a lot to gain first-strike advantage.

Also, Archery FS & Sharpshooter. Of course.

RealMarkP
2019-08-16, 10:51 AM
I'd second the Gloomstalker for ranger. I've seen a multiclass ranger/rogue in action (on YouTube), and it's a pretty potent combination. That ranger uses Zephyr Strike a lot to gain first-strike advantage.

Also, Archery FS & Sharpshooter. Of course.

What level was this character?

I'm still unsure how to get advantage on enemies at range so that my sneak attack would proc. Any ideas here?

Guy Lombard-O
2019-08-16, 11:38 AM
What level was this character?

I'm still unsure how to get advantage on enemies at range so that my sneak attack would proc. Any ideas here?

I believe she just hit 8th. She's a trickster rogue, but the assassin subclass may well be stronger and mesh better.

Zephyr Strike is good for advantage on the first attack (and for playing keep away). After that, you may need to rely on other party members being in melee to get those sneak attacks.

RealMarkP
2019-08-16, 12:24 PM
So Ranger 5 (Gloom Stalker)/Rogue 2 is what I'll start off with. Are there any feats worth taking or should I keep dumping points into Dex?

Bobthewizard
2019-08-16, 12:36 PM
Crossbow expert (if you want to use a hand crossbow), elven accuracy, sharpshooter, and DEX should be your priorities. You can pick the order.

Edit: since you are starting at level 7, you could go ranger 4 assassin 3. You don’t have extra attack until the next level but you’d have your complete character (gloomstalker and assassin) when you start the campaign which might be a better way to introduce him. DEX is probably better than any feat but Alert is another feat to consider