PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lizardfolk (Magebred variant)

bloodshed343
2019-08-16, 11:47 AM
Long ago, the mad wizard Halaster experimented on a captive population of reptilian humanoids in order to create the perfect lab assistant. These mutated Lizardfolk have escaped and now stalk the waterways of the city of splendors.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Dexterity and Intelligence scores each increase by 1.
Age. Lizardfolk reach maturity arqund age 14 and rarely live longer than 60 years.
Alignment. Most lizardfolk are neutral. They see the world as a place of predators and prey, where life and death are natural processes. They wish only to survive, and prefer to leave other creatures to their own devices.
Size. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet, and you have a swimming speed of 25 feet.

Mutant Bite. You know the Primal Savagery cantrip. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Cunning Artisan. As part of a short rest, you can harvest bone and hide from a slain beast, construct, dragon, monstrosity, or plant creature of size Small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or 1d4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan's tools, such as leatherworker's tools.

Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for up to 15 minutes at a time.

Lab Conditioning. You gain proficiency with the Arcana skill and with one of the following skills of your choice: Perception, Stealth, and Survival.

Additionally, when you make an Intelligence (Arcana) check related to alchemical agents, you may add twice your proficiency bonus.

Natural Armor. You have tough, scaly skin. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

I'd like to make some changes to the Cunning Artisan feature, but I'm out of ideas. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-16, 01:40 PM
It looks a little strong. I'd suggest dropping the Con bonus to +1, and getting rid of Cunning Artisan altogether-- it doesn't make as much sense for lab-lizards as it does for swamp ones.

sandmote
2019-08-16, 04:54 PM
You can maybe replace Cunning Artisan with a tool proficiency tied to the lizardfok's intended purpose.

Otherwise I second Grod.

MagneticKitty
2019-08-16, 08:33 PM
I think base lizardfolk is a little loaded due to not gelling with itself all that well.
The bite needs str, the armor needs dex... very MAD as a race. This is just too good due to taking lizard folk and making it actually able to use all its stuff.
Getting dex for ac, getting a non str bite that actually keys off a stat that's a given for pretty much all people.
I think it needs tuned down a little.

bloodshed343
2019-08-17, 10:09 AM
I think base lizardfolk is a little loaded due to not gelling with itself all that well.
The bite needs str, the armor needs dex... very MAD as a race. This is just too good due to taking lizard folk and making it actually able to use all its stuff.
Getting dex for ac, getting a non str bite that actually keys off a stat that's a given for pretty much all people.
I think it needs tuned down a little.

While I agree that it most likely doesn't need the Dexterity bonus with the natural armor, I think you're overvaluing the Primal Savagery a little. It's worse than essentially any damage option given by any class, and it is worse than the Fire Genasi's innate spellcasting...

But that does give me an idea, so:

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Age. Lizardfolk reach maturity arqund age 14 and rarely live longer than 60 years.
Alignment. Most lizardfolk are neutral. They see the world as a place of predators and prey, where life and death are natural processes. They wish only to survive, and prefer to leave other creatures to their own devices.
Size. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet, and you have a swimming speed of 25 feet.

Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for up to 15 minutes at a time.

Magical Mutant: You know the Primal Savagery cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the mage armor spell as a 1st-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the invisibility spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Lab Conditioning: You have advantage on saving throws caused by alchemical items.