PDA

View Full Version : To The Manor Born

Palanan
2019-08-16, 02:06 PM
Are there any modules or scenarios which are set in a single estate, manor, etc.? Especially scenarios built around noble intrigue and social maneuvering, rather than combat or exploration.

I’m aware of the War for the Crown AP, but that’s a very different setup, which starts in the halls of imperial power and moves out to the countryside according to a specific storyline. I’m interested in something that takes place on a single country estate or similar property.

I’m open to all official WotC and Paizo content, and in this case I’d be willing to look at 3PP as well. Is there anything like this out there?

pabelfly
2019-08-17, 06:24 AM
I've run a few of the d20 system adventure modules for one-shot sessions, most of them are set in small areas like a village, large house, dungeon, etc. Pretty small, suitable for a single gaming session, heavily combat-oriented. Not sure if this is what you're after or if you can maybe make use of the maps included for your own games while using them for a very different storyline.

Palanan
2019-08-17, 08:03 AM
Thanks, but I’m looking specifically for modules focused on a country estate, with an emphasis on social challenges rather than combat.

Efrate
2019-08-17, 11:26 AM
Not likely to find many, combat is too intrinsic to 3.5. Plus most social situations are "solved" by a roll or two so its hard to keep up drama within the confines when socials skills as are are ridiculously overpowered.

You likely have to look outside d20. White wolf or something might be better if you can convert it based on how their games tend to emphasize this a lot more.

For a rp centric site based scenario you can do like murder mystery before your casters get the I win buttons for that, or you can do haunted house but more cthulhu horror, not monsters and zombies that pop out and can be smote. Pathfinder has some decent in roads with their haunt system.

weckar
2019-08-17, 02:42 PM
If you are taking a conversion route, there is a box of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective scenarios that all take place in a single mansion...

Palanan
2019-08-18, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Efrate
Not likely to find many….

I’m aware what I’m looking for is likely to be rare, but I’d be surprised if there weren’t any examples at all.

Also, as mentioned above, I’m open to 3PP material, and I’m sure there’s something like this out in 3PP-land if nowhere else. Just need some help in finding it.

EndlessKng
2019-08-18, 12:02 PM
They aren't in the D20 format, but L5R has a ton of adventures and settings set in courts, which can essentially be manors if isolated enough. 1e L5R (AEG version) had a set of Winter Court books which were one-part setting (the court itself) and one-part adventure. 4e had appropriate intrigue-heavy settings in the Books of Air, Earth, and Fire. And the Heroes of Rokugan: Spirits of Bushido campaign had several court setting modules with intrigue and negotiations abounding. The modules are here: http://heroes-of-rokugan.net/index.php?page=PriorCampaigns. Most of the Winter Court ones would be worth a look (though I'd especially recommend Kyuden Gotei part 1, Kyuden Tonbo, Otosan Uchi, and Shiro Moto - Kyuden Hida and Shiro Chuda are a little less intrigue-heavy in the sense of political intrigue and more in "WTF is going on here?," though they may be worth looking at as well), but Wasp's Nest, Stolen Property, and Smoldering Embers also have great deals of intrigue and politcking as a central focus, and Cold Hands Stone Heart and Fan and Sword both had opening scenes in courts that were themselves intrigue-heavy.

Of course, they may need some work to adapt into your setting, but they can be great examples and have a lot of elements to borrow from.

Palanan
2019-08-19, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by EndlessKng
They aren't in the D20 format, but L5R has a ton of adventures and settings set in courts….

Thanks for the recommendations, these look really interesting.

Some of them seem very specific to the Rokugan setting, in terms of the central preoccupation with honor, so that aspect of the modules needs thinking on. But this looks like an outstanding resource overall.

Efrate
2019-08-19, 04:44 PM
L5R Is a great system for this, better than most. I would recommend brushing up on how social interaction works in l5r, the various skills and means of solving issues and make sure your players know as well.

I have on my played 4th edition l5r, but a few things which stand out: social station and your level on honor immununizes you to social interaction from those lower than you, regardless of whatever the dice says.

Proof of anything does not matter (exception to certain dragon clan members), just the individual honor and status of participants.