PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Races

Trandir
2019-08-16, 02:25 PM
I was reading the Draconomicon and I "dicovered" the dragonkin. And in my humble opinion it gives a lot of stuff for a martial PC for a LA +2.
And then the idea: why not ask in the playground "what is your favourite LA race or combination of race-class"?

You can either add a good combination of race-class or an improbable one, or your personal favourite or even that one idea for a PC that no DM allow you to make because he doesn't want a "frog wizard half-fiend half-dragon that can't speak common and uses his crow familiar as a translator" in his campaign.

Bonus: usually the weirdest reces have LA but even those without it can offer some intresting opions for a PC so those are welcome as well.

Edit: If you can also add the race source

MisterKaws
2019-08-16, 02:27 PM
Karcerer!

That is, a Karsite Sorcerer.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-08-16, 02:28 PM
Primordial giant ogre mage all the way!

Edit: That makes a good psion.

Celestia
2019-08-16, 02:36 PM
I really like drow. I'm not really a fan of the "elf for every season" trend, and I'm also not a fan of the "evil underdark clone" trend. Yet, I just really like drow. I don't know why.

I'm also a big fan of pixies and wish they weren't LA +4! That is pretty firmly in the impractical range.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-16, 02:40 PM
Anthropomorphic Wolverine. With 2HD and 2LA they are very close to entering "not worth it", but they've got some pretty good stats, and the wolverine Rage ability pushes it over into "actually there's some pretty cool stuff you can do with this" territory for me.

GrayDeath
2019-08-16, 02:50 PM
Dragonborn Warforged (Heart Aspect). Nothing beats draconic fire breathing Robots. ^^

Celestia
2019-08-16, 02:53 PM
Dragonborn Warforged (Heart Aspect). Nothing beats draconic fire breathing Robots. ^^
That doesn't have LA. I do agree, though, that dragonforged are awesome.

Aniikinis
2019-08-16, 04:45 PM
Tiefling Warlock Lumi Paladin. They fit so well together, and since the Genocidally obsessed Lumi are considered "Good" by default, it's perfectly within character to follow their teachings and go full-on Smite The Heretics CELG

Bphill561
2019-08-16, 05:28 PM
If you are into anime, I always thought a Petal (+2 LA cohort) would make for a perfect Emo girl going into Warlock or Dread necromancer, or anything "Dark".

How about a panther (fluff wise) Souleater born before the gods (Otherworldly Feat) consuming enough souls to turn into an Anthropomorphic Panther. Then taking the Shaper of Form PrC (Dragon compendium), turning into a lesser drow. Topping that off with Savage Progressions for half-dragon and adding Fiendish grafts which all again were fluff wise gained through consuming souls. There are specifically a group of half-shadow dragon drow in Faerun that fit in nicely with this. Anyway it was fun running a Anthro Panther/Drow/Dragon/Fiend Souleater.

Everyone knows about Mind Flayer Illithaid Savants, but what about a Brainstealer Dragon Illithiad Savant. They have 7HD and a LA of +5 as a medium wyrmling with extract and mind blast. They actually come in at lower level than the standard Mind Flayer.

Thurbane
2019-08-16, 05:36 PM
Marrulurk (Sandstorm) are pretty decent for 3RHD and LA +1. 2d6 sneak attack, death attack, good ability mods and a few other goodies.

Not mechanically great, but I also like Baphitaurs (Und): basically Minotaur Tieflings. 3RHD and LA +2.

GrayDeath
2019-08-16, 05:48 PM
That doesn't have LA. I do agree, though, that dragonforged are awesome.

Fudge, I somehow read the title as "LA - Race, sorry.

Hmmm, Dragons. Its always Dragons. ^^

If it needs to be more or less easily playable then I ahve to say that I ahve had a lot of fun palying a (later mutated) Petal Sorcerer, and really love the FLuff of the Primordial (half) Giants, though couldnt paly one so far.

And if we go back to how I got to D&D 3.x in the first place, that happened by palying a (semi dark, sue me, Iw as barely not a teen ^^) Half Celestial Warlock.

Particle_Man
2019-08-16, 06:01 PM
Stonechild Warblade for me. If I feel particularly energetic I might squeeze in master of nine, perhaps using fighter levels for a few feats.

And OOTS has the half-dragon template on the half ogre. Also half-dragon centaurs are cool.

pabelfly
2019-08-16, 07:11 PM
Does Anthropromorphic Giant Octopus count? No LA but two racial hit dice, which is nearly the same thing.

Efrate
2019-08-16, 07:23 PM
played pixie enchanter that used a special collar to "speak" as his cat familiar and use it as a big bluff so everyone thought the cat was the pc. Used a lot of the April fool feats/skills from the cat article. Even eating the LA since we started in a more urban setting at level 8 you can get a LOT of mileage out of lower level enchantments.

denthor
2019-08-16, 07:25 PM
My favorite evil race is and has been for decades across 2e to 3.5e is:

Skulk.

Favorite race to play 1/2 orc

MisterKaws
2019-08-16, 07:30 PM
Does Anthropromorphic Giant Octopus count? No LA but two racial hit dice, which is nearly the same thing.

For just race my favorite would be Anthro-Squid instead of Anthro-Octopus. The extra arms are worth the increased level when you start getting into multi-arm weapon shenanigans.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-17, 06:25 AM
I find the idea of a goblin paladin to be rather enduring. More than not just a fighter cleric with a pig for a mount, but dont tell him that :smallbiggrin:

Bphill561
2019-08-17, 09:23 AM
For just race my favorite would be Anthro-Squid instead of Anthro-Octopus. The extra arms are worth the increased level when you start getting into multi-arm weapon shenanigans.

I had a silverwrath template added to one for lots of negative energy bad touches. You heal up undead minions in no time. I guess souleater would be similar.

pabelfly
2019-08-17, 09:51 AM

I usually play low-level so Giant Octopus has two less attacks has two more class levels. Higher levels, especially where I can buy off LA, I'd definitely get the Squid instead.

Buufreak
2019-08-17, 12:07 PM
Ah. Another day I get to mention Wemec. Tis a good day indeed. I'd like to build one up one day with an uber charge build, but not sure if straight barb or barb/totemist is the way to go.

Particle_Man
2019-08-17, 12:32 PM
Ah. Another day I get to mention Wemec. Tis a good day indeed. I'd like to build one up one day with an uber charge build, but not sure if straight barb or barb/totemist is the way to go.

Easy: Do you want to wear a cool mask when you charge or do you prefer cool war paint?:smallbiggrin:

MisterKaws
2019-08-21, 09:31 PM
With Wemec being Large, I think Barb into Dungeoncrasher Fighter would be the way to go for maximum power.

Thurbane
2019-08-21, 10:22 PM
Urskan (Frostburn) 5RHD LA +4 large magical beasts...just in case you ever wanted to play as Iorek Byrnison.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b5/e5/09/b5e5091a974f05b040bbb48355651716.jpg

ben-zayb
2019-08-21, 11:04 PM
Are we really going to ignore the Hannah-Barbera reference?

As for my one of my favorites: it's more of a template-class combination, but a Ghost Ranger or Druid is a pretty weird concept, with the duality of nature-themed class and something as unnatural as undead. With Druid or the Wild Shape variant Ranger you get to possess creatures and wild shape their body.

If you extend that combination to a Ghost Ranger Master of Many Forms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20502211&postcount=115), you could just get all ridiculous and fill the world with exponentially increasing ghosts.

Ruethgar
2019-08-23, 05:08 PM
Awakened Lizard Tippy Shapeshift Druid/Barbarian. Almost always go Dragonblood Asscociated, Dragontouched, or Draconic and make it a discount dragon.

Three free RHD often makes up for some of the less optimal class choices a bit, at the very least with longevity.

Edit: Tippy is a shorthand I use for a suggested ACF from the emporer himself that gets rid of spells instead of wild shape for a handful of Ranger/Monk class features. Away from my computer or I could find it.