PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC's, what is your average stat range?

False God
2019-08-16, 04:32 PM
As title implies, when it comes to making up common NPCs, with the system capped ostensibly at 20 in any stat (excepting certain spectacular class-capstones and boons) what becomes the "average range" of normality?

I realize this is somewhat subjective and many folks may consider 1-20 completely "normal" for any common individual to possess an extreme in any one of their stats, but discounting those opinions (sorry, they just don't help my question). For those folks who do limit the common folk's maximum (and minimum), what sort of range do you use?

Going from base 10, I tend to think +/-4 is pretty acceptable most of the time. Making 16 (or 4) notably superior (or inferior) in any given stat but not impossible for a race that may already lean in that direction. And 18 (where many players start with in at least 1 stat) becomes clearly exceptional. Which to mind mind helps rationalize why the PC's are adventurers and 99% of everyone else...well, isn't. I did however consider using +/-6, but I felt that left too little room on the edges for players to be exceptional and above. Especially considering 3 is the bare minimum for sentience, I felt like especially in when it came to the Intelligence score, that meant people "outside the norm" were either insane geniuses or severely mentally disabled. And I didn't like that there wasn't room for "kinda dumb" or "really smart" with that range.

Maybe each score should have it's own range? Perhaps not an even spread on either side? Maybe I should start from base 8. Buuuuut I don't really like the idea that every single person is basically starting out taking penalties to anything they try. Though maybe that's more fitting.

Thoughts?

Misterwhisper
2019-08-16, 04:48 PM
As title implies, when it comes to making up common NPCs, with the system capped ostensibly at 20 in any stat (excepting certain spectacular class-capstones and boons) what becomes the "average range" of normality?

I realize this is somewhat subjective and many folks may consider 1-20 completely "normal" for any common individual to possess an extreme in any one of their stats, but discounting those opinions (sorry, they just don't help my question). For those folks who do limit the common folk's maximum (and minimum), what sort of range do you use?

Going from base 10, I tend to think +/-4 is pretty acceptable most of the time. Making 16 (or 4) notably superior (or inferior) in any given stat but not impossible for a race that may already lean in that direction. And 18 (where many players start with in at least 1 stat) becomes clearly exceptional. Which to mind mind helps rationalize why the PC's are adventurers and 99% of everyone else...well, isn't. I did however consider using +/-6, but I felt that left too little room on the edges for players to be exceptional and above. Especially considering 3 is the bare minimum for sentience, I felt like especially in when it came to the Intelligence score, that meant people "outside the norm" were either insane geniuses or severely mentally disabled. And I didn't like that there wasn't room for "kinda dumb" or "really smart" with that range.

Maybe each score should have it's own range? Perhaps not an even spread on either side? Maybe I should start from base 8. Buuuuut I don't really like the idea that every single person is basically starting out taking penalties to anything they try. Though maybe that's more fitting.

Thoughts?

If you mean like a generic guy at the inn or a farmer out in a field.

I keep it simple:

+ 4 if they should be good at it like a farmer and knowledge nature and handle animal.

Flat + zero if it is unrelated to what they do. Like said farmer making a performance check.

-1 if they have no reason at all to have anything to do with it like the farmer making an arcana check.

Lunali
2019-08-17, 09:38 AM
For raw stats, roughly 3d6+racial bonuses, though I don't actually roll it, that's just what I'm trying to achieve. Stats will be roughly in line with their occupation both because people with certain stats will be attracted to certain occupations and because both jobs and stats are somewhat hereditary.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-17, 10:16 AM
For raw stats, roughly 3d6+racial bonuses, though I don't actually roll it, that's just what I'm trying to achieve. Stats will be roughly in line with their occupation both because people with certain stats will be attracted to certain occupations and because both jobs and stats are somewhat hereditary.
So 10.5.+race?

It is similar to what I use(I give them 88-12 in stats).

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-17, 10:20 AM
For most NPC's it just doesn't matter much.

If for some reason the Charisma of a barmaid matters I'll consider if they're good or bad at their job. The old guy who has been doing it for 20 years may have more Wisdom but not as much strength as he used to.

A good jing may have epic stats which apply to him, probably more Charisma and Wisdom than Dex depending on age.

Sometimes I give my NPC's a few extra hit points. Like 10 to 15 total if they are rough and tumble miners or something. I'm not above giving an 80 year old human 1 hit point though.

Keep in mind I don't spend hours planning this. In game I think "christ, why are they challenging a bartender to a duel?" And stat him on the fly.

Spectrulus
2019-08-17, 10:55 AM
When I run NPC's, I don't give them stats at all. I just give them +6 to +10 to skills the have based on their skill in the craft, and generally just give them a bonus to hit equal to players Proficiency bonus if they have to get into a fight.

I might think internally as I role play them "This character has at least a 13 Intelligence," but that's as far as I take it.

ad_hoc
2019-08-17, 11:00 AM
Whatever the Monster Manual says.

Tiadoppler
2019-08-17, 11:43 AM
I break NPCs up into a number of categories depending on their overall power level. Note: I tend to run campaigns where magic and adventurers are uncommon in the general population. In a small town of 10,000 people, 100 or so would have some combat training, but only half a dozen would exceed CR 1.

My first assumption is that most people in the world have 10s straight across the board, with perhaps a 9 or 11 thrown in there. Player Characters are amazing, and have the potential to become legendary heroes because their stats are so high.

My second assumption is that people can tell the difference between stats that have different value. There's a noticeable difference between a 12 and a 13. If you talk to someone with 11 intelligence, they're more eloquent and organized than someone with 10 intelligence. The average person's reaction to meeting someone with 12 Wisdom is "that person's very insightful and gives great advice". Someone with 14 strength might be known as the "strongest guy in town".

My third assumption is that most people don't have classes (or combat training/any special abilities) or magical power. Most adult NPCs get racial features and a background, and that's it.

My fourth assumption is that a good stat range for common NPCs is 4-16. Creatures with stats of 3 are generally beasts/constructs/feeblemind victims/whatever that essentially cannot succeed at checks using those stats, and have huge penalties (like being unable to learn languages).

For the totally average civilian NPC on the street, I assume they have 10s straight down + racial stats (brings the overall average up to 10.5 or whatever depending on species), or roll 6d2+1 straight down, which leads to much the same result, usually.

If an average non-combatant NPC with no special training gets a name and is even a minor recurring character, I roll 6x 4d4, distributing the stats according to their character's established traits. This results in a more interesting and quirky character, while still maintaining the average stat value of 10.

NPCs with specialized skills (including professional soldiers, skilled crafters, politicians, important merchants, etc) get an average stat of 11.5 before racial modifiers. I roll 6x 4+3d4, distributing the stats according to the character's training. This makes them, on average, weaker than the normal adventuring character.

Important, named NPCs with "class levels" (or rather, equivalent NPC ability sets) have stats similar to PCs if not greater, decided by DM fiat.

The end result is:

Most people (99%+) use the commoner stat block with an extra proficiency or two. You can make towns and cities of realistic size without having to deal with hundreds or thousands of spellcasters. Your worldbuilding doesn't have to take into consideration 100 people casting Wish every day.

Many low CR soldiers and guards don't have very good stats. A 16 (+3) is quite rare. The PCs feel like they're more powerful and skilled than most guards, and can take down several in a battle.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-08-17, 11:59 AM
99.9999999% of NPCs don't ever get statted. They don't interact with the Ability system whatsoever. If I absolutely need to (opposed rolls), I assume a +0 (normal person) +2 (skilled) or a +4 (expert) bonus.

The rest use straight NPC stat-blocks unless they're designed for combat or are special in some way.

Spacehamster
2019-08-17, 01:16 PM
Would probably range their stats from 8-14, a farmer for example I would prob put at 12/10/12/8/12/10, common town guard 14/12/12/10/10/10, a village elder 8/8/8/14/14/12, stats fitting for their lot in life but no exceptional stats.