PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Planar Domains

Thurbane
2019-08-16, 05:20 PM
I asked this is the Simple RAW thread, but no luck.

I'm going to re-post here, and throw in extra questions:

Q 156

Normally taking a planar domain (SC p.282) takes up two domain choices for a character.

a.) If you use the Substitute Domain spell (CC p.126), and select a planar domain, do you only give up one of your current domains?

b.) Is it possible to get Domain Draught (MIC p.156) of a planar domain?

c.) Can a character using the Arcane Discipline feat (CD p.79) select a planar domain?

d.) Can a Sorcerer using the Domain Access ACF (CC p.52) select a planar domain?

Cheers - T

thorr-kan
2019-08-16, 09:57 PM
I asked this is the Simple RAW thread, but no luck.

I'm going to re-post here, and throw in extra questions:

c.) Can a character using the Arcane Discipline feat (CD p.79) select a planar domain?

d.) Can a Sorcerer using the Domain Access ACF (CC p.52) select a planar domain?

Cheers - T

I would say no to all four. Planar domains are double other domains, and each of these other options only replace a single domain.

Saintheart
2019-08-16, 10:37 PM
Agreed - I'd rule 'No' on all of those. The first line introducing Planar Domains says "A planar domain counts as both of a cleric's domain choices." It's essentially two domains tied together, and most of those abilities only allow one domain.

Thurbane
2019-08-17, 12:09 AM
Well, I agree that would be the RAI, but can a RAW argument be made to the contrary?

Cruiser1
2019-08-17, 01:04 AM
Well, I agree that would be the RAI, but can a RAW argument be made to the contrary?
Yes, I agree it's RAI, but one can potentially argue RAW. As usual, ask your DM what they will allow. A planar domain (in spite of its special qualities) is still a single domain. The rules text "a planar domain counts as both of a cleric's domain choices" only applies to Clerics choosing domains during character creation, and not domains in general or other ways one might acquire them. Therefore, alternate domain acquisition methods such as Arcane Discipline and Domain Access aren't similarly limited, and can be used to select planar domains.

Necroticplague
2019-08-17, 01:08 AM
Nope. Those are Planar Domains, not Domains. You can no more use things that give you Domains to get Planar Domains than you can use warlock levels to pick Draconic Invocations instead of Invocations.

Biggus
2019-08-17, 11:02 AM
As far as I can see, it comes down to whether planar domains are a separate entity to domains or a sub-category of them, and the wording is somewhat ambiguous on that. You could argue the latter based on the phrasing in the Planar Handbook (p.85) "granted powers of a planar domain are more potent than those of other domains" but I can't see most DMs allowing you to take them in place of single domains on that basis.

Personally, I'd allow planar Domain Draughts but at double the price of a normal Domain Draught, and I'd require you to take the Arcane Disciple feat twice to get a planar domain; getting planar domains for the same price as normal ones seems pretty clearly in stinky cheese territory to me.

thorr-kan
2019-08-17, 11:46 AM
Personally, I'd allow planar Domain Draughts but at double the price of a normal Domain Draught, and I'd require you to take the Arcane Disciple feat twice to get a planar domain; getting planar domains for the same price as normal ones seems pretty clearly in stinky cheese territory to me.
I'd actually buy into both of those. Twice the price for twice the domain.

Domain Spontaneity: once or twice for a planar domain?

Biggus
2019-08-17, 01:59 PM
I'd actually buy into both of those. Twice the price for twice the domain.

Domain Spontaneity: once or twice for a planar domain?

Again I'd say twice, as you're getting as many new spells from one planar domain as from two normal ones.