PDA

View Full Version : That Damn Crab is affordable!?

Starbuck_II
2007-10-11, 08:08 PM
Anyone notice you too can have your own Damn Crab for only 10K?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a

Figurine of Wondrous Power (Limestone Crab): A limestone crab appears as a miniature statuette, often badly eroded, of a crab. When the figurine is tossed down and the correct command word is spoken, it becomes a living monstrous crab. The monstrous crab obeys and serves its owner; it understands Common but does not speak. The monstrous crab can serve as a beast of burden, a mount, or a combatant as its owner desires. Unlike a normal monstrous crab, the limestone crab retains some of the qualities of stone when animated and has hardness 3. A limestone crab can be used twice per week for up to 6 hours per use.

If a limestone crab is broken or destroyed in its statuette form, it is forever ruined. All magic is lost -- its power departed. If slain in animal form, the figurine simply reverts to a statuette that can be used again at a later time.

A limestone crab always feels damp to the touch, as if it had just been plucked from a tide pool.

Moderate transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, animate objects, stoneskin; Price 10,000 gp.

Heck, it even has Hardness.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-11, 08:09 PM
Stormwrack crab, right?

Right?

Armads
2007-10-11, 08:15 PM
Yes.

It uses the stats for the crab at Far Corners of the world (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a)

Arbitrarity
2007-10-11, 08:17 PM
Oh... not stormwrack crab.

Flee!

Drider
2007-10-11, 08:23 PM
I would laugh all night if some epic BBEG had one of these and was trying to make fax's version of it.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-11, 08:26 PM
Oh, it's not so tough. You just have to hit its weak spot. . .FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!:smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2007-10-11, 09:21 PM
Holy s**t. I must have that!

Indon
2007-10-11, 09:29 PM
Oh, it's not so tough. You just have to hit its weak spot. . .FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!:smallbiggrin:

Is D&D historically accurate enough to support that sort of mechanic?

Balkash
2007-10-11, 09:36 PM
not to insult the creation, but ive got a question. more of a clarification. is it damp constantly or only feels damp (constantly?). if it were constantly damp and you put it in a pocket, wouldn't it look like you had just pissed yourself? i guess a cantrip could fix that, but assume you werent a spellcaster. what then!?

DraPrime
2007-10-11, 09:48 PM
not to insult the creation, but ive got a question. more of a clarification. is it damp constantly or only feels damp (constantly?). if it were constantly damp and you put it in a pocket, wouldn't it look like you had just pissed yourself? i guess a cantrip could fix that, but assume you werent a spellcaster. what then!?

Damp doesn't mean it leaks water. It just means it feels a little bit moist. Although it would be a great prank to put that in someone's pocket and then point out that they just peed their pants.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-11, 09:49 PM
Damp doesn't mean it leaks water. It just means it feels a little bit moist. Although that would be a great prank :smallbiggrin:

Prestidigitation is cheaper, and does the same thing :smallbiggrin:

Limited duration, but who, with wet pants, isn't going to check what's going on, so it'd probably last a bit longer.

Nebo_
2007-10-11, 09:59 PM
Damp doesn't mean it leaks water. It just means it feels a little bit moist. Although it would be a great prank to put that in someone's pocket and then point out that they just peed their pants.

And now they have a Damned Crab to sic on you as revenge for the humiliation.

Balkash
2007-10-11, 10:03 PM
And now they have a Damned Crab to sic on you as revenge for the humiliation.

...good point:smalleek:

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-11, 10:03 PM
I would laugh all night if some epic BBEG had one of these and was trying to make fax's version of it.

...I must possess the Platinum Divine Pseudonatural Paragon Damn Crab, and I must possess it now!

Minions, get the virgin sacrifices! We must make dark entreaties tonight!

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-12, 09:38 AM
...Yeah, sure, but by the time you can actually afford it, it's not really that terrifying anymore.

It's only terrifying because it's a CR3 that... really should be something like a CR6.

Indon
2007-10-12, 10:01 AM
...Yeah, sure, but by the time you can actually afford it, it's not really that terrifying anymore.

It's only terrifying because it's a CR3 that... really should be something like a CR6.

I wonder if there are any ready ways in the RAW to buff that crab-statue.

Starbuck_II
2007-10-12, 10:04 AM
If we Assume it is really CR 6, Than hardness 3 increases that to CR 7.

I guess you could look at as Summon Monster 5 or 6, 2/week for 10 K. Not a bad deal. SM 5 scroll costs 1.1K, but nonspellcaster can use this.

How does one price something based on weekly? The guidelines are based on per day...

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-12, 10:06 AM
Divide the cost by seven.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-10-12, 10:42 AM
-then multiply by two

OneWinged4ngel
2007-10-12, 03:00 PM
If we Assume it is really CR 6, Than hardness 3 increases that to CR 7.

In what super-underpowered world is Hardness 3 = +1 CR? :smallconfused:

Starbuck_II
2007-10-12, 03:15 PM
In what super-underpowered world is Hardness 3 = +1 CR? :smallconfused:

Hardness is better than DR usually. It applies to Energy attacks and assumingly falling damage unlike DR (only weapon damage).

Is Hardness 3 worth more than CR +1 or are you saying less?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 03:22 PM
Hardness is better than DR usually. It applies to Energy attacks and assumingly falling damage unlike DR (only weapon damage).

Is Hardness 3 worth more than CR +1 or are you saying less?

DR almost never warrants CR. Why should hardness?

ArmorArmadillo
2007-10-12, 04:05 PM
I don't think this is that bad...
Remember, That Damn Crab isn't inherently broken, just really under-CRed.

At 10,000 GP, it isn't really available to you until it's not too powerful.

Which beg the question...why do the same people who think the CR of TDC is 3 think that an item which summons it should cost 10,000 GP?

kamikasei
2007-10-12, 04:11 PM
I don't think this is that bad...
Remember, That Damn Crab isn't inherently broken, just really under-CRed.

At 10,000 GP, it isn't really available to you until it's not too powerful.

Which beg the question...why do the same people who think the CR of TDC is 3 think that an item which summons it should cost 10,000 GP?

It seems to be the pattern for the Figurines. Lions are also CR 3, and the item that gives you a pair of them goes for 16,500.

The Glyphstone
2007-10-12, 07:13 PM
What level would an aquatic druid/ranger have to be to get a Damn Crab as an animal companion?

Shas aia Toriia
2007-10-12, 07:45 PM

Is D&D historically accurate enough to support that sort of mechanic?

Of course it is. You just need to have Quick Draw for all-new REAL TIME WEAPON CHANGE!!!

Leon
2007-10-13, 10:40 AM
What level would an aquatic druid/ranger have to be to get a Damn Crab as an animal companion?

I'd Haze a 7th lvl (Level -6)
Also after you went via one of the variants/feats that allow for Vermin to be companions

daggaz
2007-10-13, 11:53 AM
I think the item is underpriced... you get to summon this beasty for 12 hours a week, every week. Thats way way better than a couple castings of summon monster 5 or 6, as somebody mentioned earlier.