PDA

View Full Version : Aura of Warding - Don't need to be conscious?

jaappleton
2019-08-16, 10:24 PM
So this came up in my game tonight:

So the lv6 Paladin aura, Aura of Protection, specifically states you must be conscious.

Aura of Warding, the lv7 Oath of Ancients Paladin aura, does not specify that whatsoever.

......do you not have to be conscious to grant it?

HappyDaze
2019-08-17, 04:02 AM
So this came up in my game tonight:

So the lv6 Paladin aura, Aura of Protection, specifically states you must be conscious.

Aura of Warding, the lv7 Oath of Ancients Paladin aura, does not specify that whatsoever.

......do you not have to be conscious to grant it?

If you don't, do you even have to be alive? Can your corpse be used as a magical totem to be dragged around Weekend at Bernie's-style? What part of your corpse does the aura come from? Can a lizardfoilk radiate that aura from it's belly after it eats you, and will it still shine forth from its feces when it dumps you?

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-17, 04:43 AM
Has anyone seen Man_Over_Game recently? Feel like he would be all over this one.

jaappleton
2019-08-17, 07:29 AM
If you don't, do you even have to be alive? Can your corpse be used as a magical totem to be dragged around Weekend at Bernie's-style? What part of your corpse does the aura come from? Can a lizardfoilk radiate that aura from it's belly after it eats you, and will it still shine forth from its feces when it dumps you?

A dead character becomes an object. So I think all features kinda cease to function at that point.

But unconscious is incapacitated and a few other conditions. If you could carry the Paladin around in some sort of medically induced coma...?

Nagog
2019-08-17, 11:38 AM
Has anyone seen Man_Over_Game recently? Feel like he would be all over this one.

I haven't seen anything from him in a while either, but yeah he'd be all over this here.

If it doesn't say you need to be conscious, I'd assume it's still active then, but once you die (and the character's soul is gone from the body), the effect would probably end, as the character's essence (and the source of the Holy Magic) is no longer there.

NNescio
2019-08-17, 11:42 AM
A dead character becomes an object. So I think all features kinda cease to function at that point.

But unconscious is incapacitated and a few other conditions. If you could carry the Paladin around in some sort of medically induced coma...?

This is starting to feel like Warhammer. (40k or otherwise)

Trickery
2019-08-17, 11:45 AM

Well now hold on just a minute, using a dead Paladin's shrunken head as a working tribal charm granting actual magical protection sounds very D&D to me.

jaappleton
2019-08-17, 11:49 AM
Well now hold on just a minute, using a dead Paladin's shrunken head as a working tribal charm granting actual magical protection sounds very D&D to me.

......Can't argue against it!

Trickery
2019-08-17, 12:20 PM
In all seriousness, let's say the Paladin dies mid-combat, but asks if his character's soul can go on protecting the party with its Aura for the rest of the fight. What DM is going to say no to that? By the same token, let's say the player deliberately gets his character killed and tries to argue that the character's Aura still applies attached to the corpse after death. What DM is going to say yes to that?

Having a charm of sorts that was once owned by (or part of) a powerful Paladin is a great hook for an artifact. I'm sure many DMs would be happy to throw in something like that after a PC death if given the idea.

Reaver25
2019-08-18, 04:39 AM
Hahahaha!!
Oh man. Yeah, uh... I'd say yes. Make it easy. But like... whatever man. It doesn't say it either way. Make it fun! :D