PDA

View Full Version : Madu

Chalkarts
2019-08-17, 12:45 AM
Does the Madu exist in 5th edition?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maduvu

It's a weapon I've long had a fondness for and didn't know if actual stats existed for it.

Quoz
2019-08-17, 01:09 AM
I'd say the closest fit would be staff or spear, probably with PAM to emphasize the double weapon aspect. Seems like a great Druid weapon.

You could also skin it as a double scimitar from Eberon, maybe with a change in the damage type to piercing. Making it work with Revenant Blade would probably give you the feel you are looking for.

Arcangel4774
2019-08-17, 02:02 AM
Looking at the wiki post it seems like it would be statted as simply a (druid friendly) dagger without the thrown property. Id probably bump it to d6 to compensate. The tecniques style fit with the dagger play as well. For particularly long horns id stat them like double scimitar/revanent blade as otherwise mentioned, but with peircing damage as opposed to slashing.

leogobsin
2019-08-17, 02:59 AM
5e keeps the weapon table pretty slim and suggests renaming to cover a wider variety of weapons (a katana is just a longsword, a seax is just a shortsword or scimitar, etc.), so there's no specific stats for it.

My thought is: since it's heavily used for defense what if you just treat it as holding a shield and a shortsword? That's pretty quick and simple, and seems faithful to what the weapon is/how it's used.

Chalkarts
2019-08-17, 08:44 AM
My thought is: since it's heavily used for defense what if you just treat it as holding a shield and a shortsword? That's pretty quick and simple, and seems faithful to what the weapon is/how it's used.

That was my question, as well as whether, if you dual wielded them would you get +4 AC for 2 shields?

I used them in a heavy combat reenactment group long ago. They're great defensively, you just punch the incoming blade with the cup of the shield. So much fun.

Xihirli
2019-08-17, 08:48 AM
You can only benefit from one shield at a time.

leogobsin
2019-08-17, 08:55 AM
Yeah probably should've clarified that would be making it as a two-handed weapon (so effectively just "re-skinning" a shortsword and a shield).

Chalkarts
2019-08-17, 08:58 AM
You can only benefit from one shield at a time.

Ah, there's the crux.