PDA

View Full Version : Charisma based Battle Master. Could this work?

Arkhios
2019-08-17, 04:45 AM
The idea below is tangent to my past ponderings for making a character in a campaign set in Eberron, and recently my DM voiced his personal opinion that a Valenar Hexblade I had mentioned as a joke was his favorite concept regardless.

I have to admit that reading up on the Hexblade, I'm not a huge fan of its 6th level feature, but being able to use charisma for attacks with your weapon does make sense if you think that it's the ancestor whose blade you're carrying who is guiding your attacks. In other words, the attacks are partly spiritually guided. To me that's a reasonable enough explanation to use a mental ability score for physical weapon attacks with a physical weapon (normally I'm strongly against the whole idea, because generally it feels weird).

However, I can't deny it does seem intriguing. Still, if I were to do this, I would steer clear from anything related to Eldritch Blast, because come on, why would each and every warlock have to take it - and the related invocations (namely Agonizing Blast)?

That personal rant aside, I can't get my eyes away from the goodies that would come from becoming a Battle Master, but since I don't have in-game experience from playing or seeing it being played, I'm not sure if this would work.

Anyway, the idea I had would be something like this (campaign is going to end at around 10th level or so):
Battle Master 1 -> Hexblade 1 to 4 (Pact of the Blade and Revenant Blade Feat) -> Battle Master 2 to 6

Using the Mark of Shadow Elf, the stats would be (boint-buy w/ racials included) as follows:
Str 13, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16
Since I'm starting as a fighter, I get access and proficiency to use heavy armor, and my choice would be chainmail.

Being aware that some Battle Master's maneuvers rely on either strength or dexterity (my choice) for their save DC's, I'd probably just not take any of those maneuvers. Which leaves me to wonder which ones I should take.

Crucius
2019-08-17, 05:41 AM
I would go with Riposte (you'll have high AC and a potent weapon without too much to do in your reaction I think), Distracting strike (no save and is a cool team-play option) and maybe rally is thematically appropriate (high CHA but it does use your bonus action which is one of your attacks sooo...). Precision attack is also pretty solid!

JackPhoenix
2019-08-17, 09:36 AM
Find out if you can refluff the spectre as the spirit of the ancestor being summoned after you prove yourself by killing an enemy. Still iffy fluff-wise, but better than creating ghosts for no good reason.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-17, 10:36 AM
The idea below is tangent to my past ponderings for making a character in a campaign set in Eberron, and recently my DM voiced his personal opinion that a Valenar Hexblade I had mentioned as a joke was his favorite concept regardless.

I have to admit that reading up on the Hexblade, I'm not a huge fan of its 6th level feature, but being able to use charisma for attacks with your weapon does make sense if you think that it's the ancestor whose blade you're carrying who is guiding your attacks. In other words, the attacks are partly spiritually guided. To me that's a reasonable enough explanation to use a mental ability score for physical weapon attacks with a physical weapon (normally I'm strongly against the whole idea, because generally it feels weird).

However, I can't deny it does seem intriguing. Still, if I were to do this, I would steer clear from anything related to Eldritch Blast, because come on, why would each and every warlock have to take it - and the related invocations (namely Agonizing Blast)?

That personal rant aside, I can't get my eyes away from the goodies that would come from becoming a Battle Master, but since I don't have in-game experience from playing or seeing it being played, I'm not sure if this would work.

Anyway, the idea I had would be something like this (campaign is going to end at around 10th level or so):
Battle Master 1 -> Hexblade 1 to 4 (Pact of the Blade and Revenant Blade Feat) -> Battle Master 2 to 6

Using the Mark of Shadow Elf, the stats would be (boint-buy w/ racials included) as follows:
Str 13, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16
Since I'm starting as a fighter, I get access and proficiency to use heavy armor, and my choice would be chainmail.

Being aware that some Battle Master's maneuvers rely on either strength or dexterity (my choice) for their save DC's, I'd probably just not take any of those maneuvers. Which leaves me to wonder which ones I should take.

Any reason not to go for BM3/Hex X or BM11/Hex X?

Past that maneuver picks I'd snap up right out the gate are Commanders strike, Riposte, and Precision strike. By that I mean "if your party has a rouge just spam Commanders strike"

Nagog
2019-08-17, 10:38 AM
Are you going Cha based to be something like a Warlord (Cha-based support), or for the Cha-based skill checks? Because if you're going support, def go Bard, college of Valor or Swords. Not as heavy a Martial focus, but better at inspiring allies and helping lead the charge. A leader on the Battlefield is not the person at the front of the charge, it's the person in the middle of the group that's calling the shots and covering everybody's rear.

Arkhios
2019-08-17, 11:07 AM
My DM has a perfect figure for a chainmail wearing valenar commander, so yeah, Warlord pretty much.

https://52f4e29a8321344e30ae-0f55c9129972ac85d6b1f4e703468e6b.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/products/pictures/119772.jpg

But no, I simply don't want to play a bard.

That aside, charisma as my primary stat for melee, ranged, and some supportive abilities in the middle of combat seems like fun, especially when fluffing the hexblade as the Valenar elf's chosen ancestor's weapon and the ancestor's spirit guiding him through the weapon.

Nagog
2019-08-17, 11:15 AM
My DM has a perfect figure for a chainmail wearing valenar commander, so yeah, Warlord pretty much.

But no, I simply don't want to play a bard.

That aside, charisma as my primary stat for melee, ranged, and some supportive abilities in the middle of combat seems like fun, especially when fluffing the hexblade as the Valenar elf's chosen ancestor's weapon and the ancestor's spirit guiding him through the weapon.

Sounds good. Hexblade does make the build SAD, which is always a nice bonus, but with Multiclassing (as always), I'd run some tests beforehand to ensure you'll be able to keep up with single class levels.

Arkhios
2019-08-17, 01:46 PM
Find out if you can refluff the spectre as the spirit of the ancestor being summoned after you prove yourself by killing an enemy. Still iffy fluff-wise, but better than creating ghosts for no good reason.
Hmm. I'll ask. Nothing to lose really.

Any reason not to go for BM3/Hex X or BM11/Hex X?
Technically, nothing is stopping me to go for BM3/Hex7. It's just that going BM6/Hex4 gives me three ASI instead of just two, and Extra Attack is ensured.
Going BM11/Hex X is "a bit" more difficult, because I know that the campaign we're running will end at level 10 - one level too early for even BM11 to come online! :smallbiggrin:

Sounds good. Hexblade does make the build SAD, which is always a nice bonus, but with Multiclassing (as always), I'd run some tests beforehand to ensure you'll be able to keep up with single class levels.
I suppose I could change the initial build to start with Fighter, then grab one level in Hexblade, and then continue to 5th Fighter level, getting Extra Attack at 6th character level. Not much different from a Swords or Valor Bard, except with lesser spellcasting prowess (though, thankfully cantrips still continue to improve nonetheless). Although, then I'd have to wait for Pact of the Blade until 8th character level, which would mean I couldn't use Hex Warrior with a two-handed weapon until then. On the other hand, starting from 5th character level, I'd have Str 14 (due to Revenant Blade) which isn't half bad either. The reason for going for Str rather than Dex is purely Chainmail's Strength requirement. I want the armor, but I don't want to be slow.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-17, 01:58 PM
With that information...

I'll heavily suggest 3/7 as a split going to CL10. ESmite, and our slots getting upgraded to 2 4th level spells a short rest are significantly better than anything we'll be pulling off an ASI.

If you want to go for a 4/6 split I'd recommend Samurai/Cleric to get similar results.

Arkhios
2019-08-17, 03:06 PM
With that information...

I'll heavily suggest 3/7 as a split going to CL10. ESmite, and our slots getting upgraded to 2 4th level spells a short rest are significantly better than anything we'll be pulling off an ASI.

If you want to go for a 4/6 split I'd recommend Samurai/Cleric to get similar results.

We have a paladin and a cleric. I don't want to step on the paladin's toes with smiting or the cleric's toes with access to cleric spells. Any spells I'd take with Hexblade would be something the other players won't have.

Besides, starting with Str 13, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16 and getting three ASIs, I can get Revenant Blade (Str to 14) and Cha 20 by level 10, which benefits a lot of my abilities.

Alternatively, I could start with Str 15, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16, be a dunce, and wear plate armor without hindrances (and eventually Str to 16 with Revenant Blade, which isn't nothing to scoff at).

...Anyway, I'm not a power-gamer. I prefer finding the golden mean between optimization and flavorful options. In this, I aim for Battle Master because it's flavorful for a former soldier familiar with pack tactics, and Hexblade enables my character to pursue a deeper connection with his ancestor (I'd suggest reading up on Valenar lore to better understand this concept, if you're not familiar with it).

Callin
2019-08-18, 08:11 PM
Not always an option but with UA on the table you could get BM manuevers with Spellless Ranger 2 instead. Revised Ranger 2/HB 8 isnt horrible. Going up to RR3+ can give access to Monster Slayer or Horizon Walker. You miss out on the spells but the bonus action damage with not using concentration frees up that for other spells.

BarneyBent
2019-08-18, 08:30 PM
You could just go Hexblade 1, Battlemaster X. It seems the bulk of what you want Hexblade for is the CHA-based attacks. You get that at level 1, everything else slows down your progression as a martial. Maybe drop a second level into Hexblade after Fighter 5 so you can get extra spell slots and a couple of nice invocations. But I see no good reason to go heavy on Hexblade.

Arkhios
2019-08-19, 01:59 AM
Not always an option but with UA on the table you could get BM manuevers with Spellless Ranger 2 instead. Revised Ranger 2/HB 8 isnt horrible. Going up to RR3+ can give access to Monster Slayer or Horizon Walker. You miss out on the spells but the bonus action damage with not using concentration frees up that for other spells.

We don't have UA on table. We are allowed to use PHB, XGE, VGM (bugbear, goblin, and hobgoblin only), GGR (Order Domain and Circle of Spores only), and of course WGE (which is not an UA document).

You could just go Hexblade 1, Battlemaster X. It seems the bulk of what you want Hexblade for is the CHA-based attacks. You get that at level 1, everything else slows down your progression as a martial. Maybe drop a second level into Hexblade after Fighter 5 so you can get extra spell slots and a couple of nice invocations. But I see no good reason to go heavy on Hexblade.

Actually, the idea was to be able to wield a Valenar Double Scimitar (two-handed martial weapon) with Charisma. However, that's impossible without the Pact of the Blade, and that comes available at 3rd warlock level. At 1st level, Hex Warrior works only with weapons that lack the two-handed property (and that I'm proficient with, but that's kinda no-brainer to be honest). I agree that I have no real need to go heavy on Hexblade, but at least 3 levels is somewhat mandatory. 4th level would be somewhat useful because it would grant another ASI within the CL10 limit.

I've been mulling this over for a while now, and as sad as it is, I think I'll have to forget using charisma as the primary ability score (at least until later levels), and instead start with either:
Str 14, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16 (if I decide to use Chainmail anyway. A 14 in an ability score isn't half-bad. It's definitely not the best, but it's better than nothing)
or
Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16 (if I decide to drop the idea of a chainmail, sticking instead to light or medium armor, and emphasize using stealth. However, this would also mean that I'd have very poor melee unless I used a Scimitar instead of VDS until I get Revenant Blade)

First ASI would be Revenant Blade feat to increase Dex (better melee and/or dex saves, initiative, as well as stealth). Next ASI's could well be used to improve Charisma, because 16 is good enough for a while.

Mjolnirbear
2019-08-20, 01:50 PM
Lore-wise, a valenar elf having a Mark would have to have one parent that isn't Valenar. This may or may not matter to you.

There's no reason not to have your battle master have a high Charisma. A few maneuvers use Charisma and battle master can be a support character (I humbly invite you to check out the Eclectic Builds thread by Vogie).

If I may recommend, try building out the Patron Ancestor. It will help flesh out and solidify your character, whether you emulate the patron or reject it. Having a patron be very different to you also can have conflict: like when your patron is a greedy warmonger but you're a noble freedom-fighter.

Since you mentioned cantrips, and since you decided against hexblade, Magic Initiate may help you get enough magic flavour.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-20, 01:53 PM
Alternately you can work warlock 3 for your spinnyblade into the narrative and go 1 handed till then.