PDA

View Full Version : Yuan-ti Pantheon

Millstone85
2019-08-17, 04:58 AM
I am working on a yuan-ti divine-soul sorcerer, to be played in a homebrew setting.

Teyacapan, that's her name, is part of a religious community led by a couatl. So, she is not a Drizzt, more like a drow born and raised in Eilistraee's faith. I am going to use Eberron's name for such yuan-ti, the shulassakar, but without the Silver-Flame lore.

To better describe the character's beliefs, and her knowledge of the beliefs of other yuan-ti, I would like to present my DM with a 5e-style pantheon table.

Deity
Alignment
Province
Suggested Domains
Common Symbol

Ahriman,
the Tenth Hell
LE
Indenture, tyranny
Knowledge, Trickery
Spiny ouroboros

Dendar,
the Night Serpent
NE
End of the world,
fear, nightmares
Death, Tempest
Snake eating the sun

Jazirian,
the First Couatl
LG
Community, learning,
parenthood
Knowledge, Life, Light
Ouroboric couatl

Merrshaulk,
Master of the Pit
CE
Conquest, predators
Nature, War
Cobra head

Sseth,
the Sibilant Death
CE
Conspiracy, murder
Death, Trickery
Bat-winged snake

I know there are many other serpent gods, but these are the ones I found interesting. You have got the original chief deity of the yuan-ti, Merrshaulk, the one who took over after their empire fell, Sseth, and a serious contender for the latter, Dendar. Then there is the odd good-aligned one, Jazirian, whom my character worships. Finally, you can't have Jazirian without his evil twin, Ahriman.

But perhaps I am missing on some really cool serpent gods. Are there any you would suggest?

Also, what do you think of the way I filled the table, with the domains and such?

Beleriphon
2019-08-17, 05:24 PM
But perhaps I am missing on some really cool serpent gods. Are there any you would suggest?

Also, what do you think of the way I filled the table, with the domains and such?

Table looks good.

As for what you want for serpent gods Professor Google provided me a link to his tenured institution of Wikipedia University, specifically the advanced course on snake worship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_worship). References to Thulsa Doom are optional.

For D&D only deities I'm not familiar with any you haven't listed. A lot of Asian myths have snakes as protectors. Without getting into overtly religious discussion the Indian subcontinent and surrounding regions are the cultures that inspired the D&D naga, and a number of the named naga from the region's mythology would work well as D&D deities. Link for Naga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81ga).

Millstone85
2019-08-17, 05:59 PM
Sorry, I meant D&D deities. But thank you for the links.

Now, I got an idea that is a bit out there.

Deity
Alignment
Province
Suggested Domains
Common Symbol

Sigil,
the City of Doors
Neutral
Balance, portals
Death, Life
Scaly ring

Going by the legend of Ahriman and Jazirian creating the Outlands, and by extension the Outer Planes, my character could believe that Sigil itself is a third tail-biting snake.

Too silly?

Envyus
2019-08-17, 10:38 PM
Sorry, I meant D&D deities. But thank you for the links.

Now, I got an idea that is a bit out there.

Deity
Alignment
Province
Suggested Domains
Common Symbol

Sigil,
the City of Doors
Neutral
Balance, portals
Death, Life
Scaly ring

Going by the legend of Ahriman and Jazirian creating the Outlands, and by extension the Outer Planes, my character could believe that Sigil itself is a third tail-biting snake.

Too silly?

I don't know if the Lady of Pain would allow it.

Millstone85
2019-08-18, 05:08 AM
I don't know if the Lady of Pain would allow it.I know that she doesn't want to be worshipped, or even called a goddess, and will maze you for it. She also keeps deities out of Sigil.

I am not sure if regarding the city itself as a divine being would anger her. There is also the question of whether she has any say on what happens outside of Sigil.

Finback
2019-08-19, 01:19 AM
If you want to bring in an eldritch being that could be a patron, but isn't technically a god, there's good old Yig, Father of Serpents.

Beleriphon
2019-08-20, 03:52 PM
Found some more you could borrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekinester

Shekinester is a Naga goddess, and the mother of Parrafaire. Parrafaire's father is described as Jazirian.

Millstone85
2019-08-22, 07:25 AM
Shekinester is a Naga goddess, and the mother of Parrafaire. Parrafaire's father is described as Jazirian.Hmm, the idea of a deity with good, neutral and evil aspects is intriguing.

It could be that the deity got fractured. Like how Io is said to have been axed from head to tail, the halves becoming Bahamut and Tiamat. Or the story of Tyche becoming Beshaba and Tymora. Or, assuming they were truly one goddess, the separation of Selūne and Shar. That seems to happen a lot.

I think I will move this concept to the Jazirian/Sigil/Ahriman trinity, with my character regarding Shekinester as a naga echo of it. Alternatively, I read that D&D's serpent gods are sometimes believed to all be aspects of the ancient World Serpent.

If you want to bring in an eldritch being that could be a patron, but isn't technically a god, there's good old Yig, Father of Serpents.One of my previous characters was a goolock serving a Far-Realm entity of my own invention. The entity's name was Uruboriade, and meant to suggest a myriad ouroboros.

As a funny reference, my new character could mention Uruboriade as a possible aberrant echo of the World Serpent.

MayaLynch
2022-03-06, 11:51 PM
I'm also planning on making a Yuan-Ti Divine Soul Sorcerer; this might help me a bit!

Naanomi
2022-03-07, 08:32 AM
One can always throw in 'the serpent' that talks to Vecna (depending on your lore interpretation of that) as a deity of Magic

truemane
2022-03-07, 09:34 AM
Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy is a forbidden art.