PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a OS for friends, get someone new at the table

Lazarock
2019-08-17, 10:50 AM
Hey !

Soon, I'll be making a oneshot where everyone is level 20.
Everything was OK until a friend of mine asked if he could join us. It will be his first time.

No problem, in fact, but I'm a bit short on "premade" character and won't have much time to make one...
I was looking on a level 20 barbarian and/or fighter, the most simple build possible for a newbie, with feats and items already choosen, but didn't find anything that fit my expectation.

Do you have something I could use for this session ?

pabelfly
2019-08-17, 01:57 PM
I would start a lot lower. Less complicated to play and teach the mechanics then, less numbers, less abilities, less items required, less countering of monster abilities. Don't start with a level 20 game.

weckar
2019-08-17, 02:10 PM
That is clearly not the situation though. It is a level 20 game that happens to have a new player, not the other way around.

pabelfly
2019-08-17, 02:24 PM
That is clearly not the situation though. It is a level 20 game that happens to have a new player, not the other way around.

I'd question if the player really needs to join the group at this game instead of another one. Starting any game at high-level is just going to be really confusing.

Anyway, my suggestion would be a ranged Fighter 20. Kensai variant from Dragon 310 if the table allows it. Give the Fighter a lot of static bonuses from feats that are simple to understand, like Weapon Focus and Weapon Supremacy, as well as various archery feats, their job is to just rapidfire arrows.

weckar
2019-08-17, 02:31 PM
Personally that would have turned me off from the game, as I always liked having options and being able to make decisions. It really depends on the player's personality what kind of character they need.

Lazarock
2019-08-17, 04:19 PM
I would start a lot lower. Less complicated to play and teach the mechanics then, less numbers, less abilities, less items required, less countering of monster abilities. Don't start with a level 20 game.
He want to see what a game looks like, and saw the excitement of the others so he wanted to test with a "Overpowered" character.
I told him that it will be hard, that there will be tons of thing to think of, but he still wanted to join.

I'd question if the player really needs to join the group at this game instead of another one. Starting any game at high-level is just going to be really confusing.

Anyway, my suggestion would be a ranged Fighter 20. Kensai variant from Dragon 310 if the table allows it. Give the Fighter a lot of static bonuses from feats that are simple to understand, like Weapon Focus and Weapon Supremacy, as well as various archery feats, their job is to just rapidfire arrows.
He doesn't need, but it's the first time he expressed some interest for D&D, so after I told him that it's not the best way to join, he insisted.
Well, others did insist too so I said "OK but you'll be helping him".

Thanks for the idea !

RNightstalker
2019-08-17, 05:10 PM
Shocktrooper build could be the simplest one-trick pony.

arkangel111
2019-08-17, 07:18 PM
personally I'd try setting him up as a Cleric Codzilla build. every party needs a dedicated cleric. if he sees how powerful a "healer" can be he'll probably play clerics in the future. now your filling a much needed role and he still pretty much gets to play the brute with a big stick. then later as he gains more skill he can customize his cleric to do other things. if you only show him a fighter/barbarian he'll probably play one 5-6 times before branching out, always feeling 1 dimensional. with a cleric he can choose a different set of spells or different domains while still staying comfortable in his "core" build, customizing each to taste and never being stuck with the same character with a new name.

Thac0 Redeye
2019-08-23, 06:07 PM
I know I'm a little late coming in to this thread, but I would suggest a Warlock. Give some cool invocations to boost the blast.

EndlessKng
2019-08-23, 06:13 PM
Warlock is good - can give options but not overwhelm him. Lets him try things out.

More complicated, not Binder is my suggestions for similar reasons. Give him a set of vestiges to pick from, so he has choices, but not too many. This gives him a taste of a lot of little things but if you curate the list it isn't overly much.

Thurbane
2019-08-23, 06:19 PM
Yeah, add me to the "don't do it" brigade.

One of two things is likely to happen: 1.) He will be overwhelmed by the complexity and options of high level play, and not enjoy the game; 2.) He will enjoy the game, but next time he needs to start at low level, will find the character frustrating and limited...

Thac0 Redeye
2019-08-23, 06:42 PM
Yeah, add me to the "don't do it" brigade.

One of two things is likely to happen: 1.) He will be overwhelmed by the complexity and options of high level play, and not enjoy the game; 2.) He will enjoy the game, but next time he needs to start at low level, will find the character frustrating and limited...

Yea, I want to change my vote. Thurbane hit it on the head. My group just started a new campaign and we started at level 1. (usually we start around 5-8) We just got to level 5 and the last couple of months were frustrating and slow.
ie. DM: "you hit, roll damage" -- ME: "I cause 3 points of damage!!" yoot! (sarcastic)

daremetoidareyo
2019-08-23, 07:05 PM
Simplest is swashbuckler 20. Not a lot to get bogged down by. 32 point buy? What is starting gold? Race restrictions?