PDA

View Full Version : Tempest or Paladin, neither or both

KyleG
2019-08-17, 02:55 PM
Imagine Thanos mixed with Thor, solid, patient, mix in some Maximus Meridius from Gladiator. Imagine a Farmer for some reason called to serve the storm itself. Maybe Pious, but certainly Good, accepting the storm as a force of change and chaos that brings new potential in its wake.
The brief is simple:

Loxodon
Level 5 Start
Glaive Wielder (shaped a bit like a bolt of lightning, a big lightning rod if you will)

I started off wanting him to be a tempest cleric, but I wanted the glaive for thematic reasons so Im not sure that's viable as that is one thing I cant let go of. Are the two mutually exclusive?
Im not sure how he went from Farmer (less serf and more land owner/rancher type) to his class so suggestions here are also welcome.

That is what I have for now. I'll try and post the heroforge mini I created later for visual idea of things.

Snowbluff
2019-08-17, 03:32 PM
Personally I am fond of the Tempest Cleric, especially if you pick up the Booming Blade cantrip. Combined with Spirit Guardians, it's a good tanking/lockdown option.

Paladin is very fun. I like 6 levels of it, but only if you can pull off a decent cha investment.

Also, consider the Path of the Storm Herald Barbarian if you want to be more martially focused. You can shoot a little bit of lightning each turn.

KyleG
2019-08-17, 03:38 PM
Barbarian already covered, need a caster really.Which is why I wonder if I'm trying to hard to combine two opposing concepts.

Galithar
2019-08-17, 04:57 PM
What about a Sorcadin? Start two levels in Paladin and 3 in Storm sorcerer. Then to Paladin 6 for the Aura and back into Sorcerer for the remainder.

The biggest drawback is sacrificing extra attack early for the thematics of the storm sorcerer levels. Don't know if that is though if a caster for you though.

You would need high Cha and Str to make this viable, and can't be lagging too far behind in Con either if you're going for actually making use of your glaive.

Alternatively a straight Tempest Cleric is probably the closest to what you are wanting. Tempest Cleric gets proficiency with all Martial weapons, so using your glaive wouldn't be an issue. You would end up relying a lot more on your spellcasting at later levels though which is why I recommended the multiclass build above. It sacrifices early game power for late game martial capabilites.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-17, 05:09 PM
Imagine Thanos mixed with Thor, solid, patient. Imagine a Farmer for some reason called to serve the storm itself. Maybe Pious, but certainly Good, accepting the storm as a force of change and chaos that brings new potential in its wake.
The brief is simple:

Loxodon
Level 5 Start
Glaive Wielder (shaped a bit like a bolt of lightning, a big lightning rod if you will)

I started off wanting him to be a tempest cleric, but I wanted the glaive for thematic reasons so Im not sure that's viable as that is one thing I cant let go of. Are the two mutually exclusive?
Im not sure how he went from Farmer (less serf and more land owner/rancher type) to his class so suggestions here are also welcome.

That is what I have for now. I'll try and post the heroforge mini I created later for visual idea of things.

Tempest cleric can swing a glaive just fine and works perfectly fine on its lonesome. If you really want a shield just say it's a fleshy human glaive and use it as a spear.

KyleG
2019-08-17, 05:43 PM
Tempest cleric can swing a glaive just fine and works perfectly fine on its lonesome. If you really want a shield just say it's a fleshy human glaive and use it as a spear.

Actually not fussed on a shield, but can I survive up close without one? Does booming blade from spell sniper work with a glaive? Im not suggesting this is a PAM build, but reach would be kinda cool so then it wouldn't use BA.

KyleG
2019-08-17, 05:45 PM
What about a Sorcadin? Start two levels in Paladin and 3 in Storm sorcerer. Then to Paladin 6 for the Aura and back into Sorcerer for the remainder.

The biggest drawback is sacrificing extra attack early for the thematics of the storm sorcerer levels. Don't know if that is though if a caster for you though.

You would need high Cha and Str to make this viable, and can't be lagging too far behind in Con either if you're going for actually making use of your glaive.

Alternatively a straight Tempest Cleric is probably the closest to what you are wanting. Tempest Cleric gets proficiency with all Martial weapons, so using your glaive wouldn't be an issue. You would end up relying a lot more on your spellcasting at later levels though which is why I recommended the multiclass build above. It sacrifices early game power for late game martial capabilites.

Which is why I wonder if im pushing two ideas together to much. The Loxodon Thanos et all, Glaive Wielder, and the Tempest Cleric. As its the cleric I need maybe I just need to create a character around the tempest cleric alone.

Galithar
2019-08-17, 05:49 PM
Actually not fussed on a shield, but can I survive up close without one? Does booming blade from spell sniper work with a glaive? Im not suggesting this is a PAM build, but reach would be kinda cool so then it wouldn't use BA.

Spell Sniper does work with Booming Blade and a Glaive (or other reach weapon).

A shield isn't needed for a Tempest Cleric especially with their proficiency in heavy armor. You can get full plate and have a decent AC without the shield. But bonus awesome if you can convince your DM to give you an animated shield for two handed fighting with a shield! (Animated shield uses your bonus action on turn one to have the effects of the shield and free up the hand for one minute)

Nhorianscum
2019-08-17, 05:57 PM

You are a Big ****ing Elephant -Cleric- in plate.

Survivability is very much a non-issue here.

(Yes it works, no it's not good. Just take 1 level in storm sorc. It's better and actually comes into play at a reasonable level)

KyleG
2019-08-17, 06:20 PM
You are a Big ****ing Elephant -Cleric- in plate.

Survivability is very much a non-issue here.

(Yes it works, no it's not good. Just take 1 level in storm sorc. It's better and actually comes into play at a reasonable level)

Fair enough. Build the storm sorcerer into the initial 5? or take later? Its a hell of an investment in Charisma for 1 level.

So forget booming blade?

Nhorianscum
2019-08-17, 06:27 PM
Fair enough. Build the storm sorcerer into the initial 5? or take later? Its a hell of an investment in Charisma for 1 level.

So forget booming blade?

Eh 13 cha is cheap. If you wanna take the multi go for it right off the bat or sometime past level 5.

BB is good even no-multi, but we do want 20 wis and warcaster/rescon at a sane time. So that fancy shmancy Spell Sniper whatever feat setup either comes with a fat price tag or it comes super late.

We're better off taking a dip, (with mobile tossed in if our dip isn't giving mobility) to get more bang for our buck.

Laserlight
2019-08-17, 06:38 PM

So forget booming blade?

I played Storm Sorc 1 / Tempest X. You don't absolutely have to have high CHA if you pick spells like Shield, although if you roll stats or persuade your DM to let you use CHA as your cleric casting stat ("that's what paladin use, why not clerics?"), there are a couple of Sorc attack spells that can be nice.

You don't really need BB. It's thematic, but you don't get the extra damage until L5, and at that point you have good spells and don't use a lot of actions to make melee attacks. If you do MC with storm Sorc, though, you may as well pick it up.

The Tempest cleric really needs to get in the thick of things (for close range AoE, Spiritual Guardians) , so I'd at least consider making your "glaive" a short one, i.e. a spear, and use spear and shield. If you do get BB, you can't use it with Reach (unless you get Spell Sniper).

KyleG
2019-08-17, 06:50 PM
Eh 13 cha is cheap. If you wanna take the multi go for it right off the bat or sometime past level 5.

BB is good even no-multi, but we do want 20 wis and warcaster/rescon at a sane time. So that fancy shmancy Spell Sniper whatever feat setup either comes with a fat price tag or it comes super late.

We're better off taking a dip, (with mobile tossed in if our dip isn't giving mobility) to get more bang for our buck.

Without the CHA I would be thinking 15 / 8 / 15+2=17 / 8 / 14+1=15 / 10 so would have to pull from CON and WIS to get to the 13.

firelistener
2019-08-17, 10:03 PM

Tempest Clerics have proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor from level 1. You can be a regular tempest cleric and use the glaive without issue, no fancy multi-classing or feats needed.
I think tempest clerics are really fun, and they play a lot like paladins with most of their abilities focused on maximizing that lightning and thunder damage.

Edit: Adding to this, here's my idea for backstory. I'm not too familiar with Ravnica or Loxodon lore, but the farmer to cleric transition sounds simple enough.

The Loxodon farmer was just a regular guy taking care of his land until one day, a gang of bad guys came to the nearby village. They started turning the place into their base of operations and were bullying people around without doing anything too heinous, so the law enforcement of the region ignored them. They hurt the farmer's friends and drove everyone good away from the town, but the Loxodon farmer couldn't bring himself to leave the farm for sentimental reasons. The farmer prayed (he didn't know to whom) day in and day out that someone... something... would come and drive away the vile gang of miscreants. After several months, the Loxodon felt that the town had fully come under control of these evil people, and they were coming to take his farm on the outskirts too. He wished for their destruction with all his heart... and then the storm came. A powerful and violent storm swept through, destroying everything. The Loxodon was free from the gang's vice grip on his town, but his farm had been utterly destroyed in it as well. He thought about rebuilding right away, but soon learned that the gang had been in cahoots with a larger group of evildoers and now the Loxodon would be hunted by them. He could not stay. He felt a deep melancholy in his chest, unsure what to do with himself, and and resolved to do the only thing that made sense anymore: to become one with the storm. He would continue to go with it, to call it down on those that would trouble him and others, wherever the chaos of the storm would lead him. And perhaps someday, he could return to the farm in peace.

KyleG
2019-08-17, 10:55 PM
Tempest Clerics have proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor from level 1. You can be a regular tempest cleric and use the glaive without issue, no fancy multi-classing or feats needed.
I think tempest clerics are really fun, and they play a lot like paladins with most of their abilities focused on maximizing that lightning and thunder damage.

Edit: Adding to this, here's my idea for backstory. I'm not too familiar with Ravnica or Loxodon lore, but the farmer to cleric transition sounds simple enough.

The Loxodon farmer was just a regular guy taking care of his land until one day, a gang of bad guys came to the nearby village. They started turning the place into their base of operations and were bullying people around without doing anything too heinous, so the law enforcement of the region ignored them. They hurt the farmer's friends and drove everyone good away from the town, but the Loxodon farmer couldn't bring himself to leave the farm for sentimental reasons. The farmer prayed (he didn't know to whom) day in and day out that someone... something... would come and drive away the vile gang of miscreants. After several months, the Loxodon felt that the town had fully come under control of these evil people, and they were coming to take his farm on the outskirts too. He wished for their destruction with all his heart... and then the storm came. A powerful and violent storm swept through, destroying everything. The Loxodon was free from the gang's vice grip on his town, but his farm had been utterly destroyed in it as well. He thought about rebuilding right away, but soon learned that the gang had been in cahoots with a larger group of evildoers and now the Loxodon would be hunted by them. He could not stay. He felt a deep melancholy in his chest, unsure what to do with himself, and and resolved to do the only thing that made sense anymore: to become one with the storm. He would continue to go with it, to call it down on those that would trouble him and others, wherever the chaos of the storm would lead him. And perhaps someday, he could return to the farm in peace.

I can here the boom of thunder before the storm, "there will be a price, change is inevitable".

KyleG
2019-08-18, 12:05 AM
Ok so lets assume I take spell sniper as my first feat to getting BB for my glaive attacks.
How do I stat myself like
15 / 8 / 15+2=17 / 8 / 14+1=15 / 10
or
15 / 8 /14+2=16 / 8 / 15+1=16 / 10

a -1 in Charisma isn't the end of the world I guess so maybe
15 / 8 / 15+2=17 / 8 / 15+1=16 / 8

4 - Spell Sniper
8 - Resilient Constitution
12 - +2 Wisdom