PDA

View Full Version : Melee player figuring out Sorcerer

IronwolfXVI
2019-08-17, 04:41 PM
I mostly play mundane characters, sometimes a paladin or ranger, but usually take an archetype to get rid of spells. Now I've managed to make a full caster character and I'm a bit lost.

My character is a fetchling in a cats body who is a umbral blooded sorcerer. I guess I'm really looking for good feats and spells to pickup. I already have tenebrous spell. And my spells so far are grease, shadow pin (or something like that) and ray of enfeblement. Any suggestions for future feats and spells?

Particle_Man
2019-08-17, 04:46 PM
Later on Heighten Spell lets you get more bang for the buck out of otherwise low level spells. Given the limited spells known you have this adds variety. Similarly with the shadow conjugation/evocation/shades spells.

Dimension door and or teleport can get you out of a jam. The feat dimensional jaunt combines well with these.

pabelfly
2019-08-17, 06:23 PM
What do you want to do with your Sorceror? Blast your enemies? Control the battlefield? Become a Gish with magic buffs?

Particle_Man
2019-08-17, 08:40 PM
Oh, if your dm likes to take pcs prisoner, silent spell and still spell are useful feats. Also fun for social engagements if you want to be subtle.

IronwolfXVI
2019-08-18, 03:17 AM
Ah sorry. Forgot to mention that I'm 3rd level. About to be 4th. And the focus is control, Sneaking/ scouting and trolling.

OGDojo
2019-08-18, 07:47 AM
well sneaking/scouting you definately want some invisibility spells and you certainly want to take the feat Silent spell. you may also wanna take the grease spell and carry some marbles on you just in case your running away and need them to stop chasing you for a round or 2 to get back to your group. open door is another good one, its also hilarious if caught by a guard cuz they will either ignore it or be very perplexed by it. you can also try purchasing items that will help you with your stealth like manacles of silence (granted you lose the use of your hands but the 5 ft square your in becomes silenced where no sound can escape) you can also do Alarm, to distract guards from your actual position so that you can sneak into a different area, i mean the spell options are endless just takes a bit of reading (Ugh reading)

Controlling you want debuff and buff spells (Entangle is awesome for a debuff.. just sayin) these will help give your team an advantage over the others, ask your normal spellcasters for help in what you wanna do, most of them will be happy to help and also ask your DM for advice since he probably has played a few casters in his time and might have some good tips for you

IronwolfXVI
2019-08-18, 09:29 PM
I had definitely planned on taking silent spell and invisibility. Not sure how marbles would work as I have a cat body, but I could mage hand them. Open door is a great idea. As is alarm. I kinda got ghost sounds to distract or lure people to where I want them.

Particle_Man
2019-08-18, 10:49 PM
How do you cast spells without hands? Also, is this Pathfinder first edition?

IronwolfXVI
2019-08-19, 12:38 PM
GM says I do it with my tail for somatic components. And yes its first edition.

OGDojo
2019-08-22, 10:16 AM
GM says I do it with my tail for somatic components. And yes its first edition.

Pathfinder has alot of fun feats. but a cat body... hmmmm that will be interesting, i mean mage hand will definately work but i think you will wanna set them up as traps as you go that way as your running back you can just bite a cord or wire and have them drop in a square that you want. if you dont think marbles are up your alley then perhaps a minor creation spell or a rock to mud spell will work better? change a 5 ft square block of solid ground into mud and they will fall into it impeding movement and securing your escape back to the group.

metamagic feats are always helpful. may wanna check the ultimate magic book. they have some useful feats in there as well. lets see what else, i never play sorcerers because Wizards get much more powerful, the only downside is they have to prepare their spells ahead of time but thats never been an issue with me. you may also wanna try looking for feats to help you with your stealth as mages get jack diddly in terms of stealth.

if your DM allows it you could also get some feats from the unearthed arcana and the complete arcane, you may also wanna ask if you can take flaws (max of 2) and in return you can gain extra feats. there are several ways to increase your damage as a spellcaster :)

Particle_Man
2019-08-22, 11:55 AM
Invisibility is a nice spell for stealth.